Gosh!! Some real backbone being shown!!!

I cannot believe how much backbone the Conservatives have come up with all of a sudden but they are taking it to Obama and Reid. Something I have really been noticing a lot recently. The Republicans are speaking in unison yet when it comes to the Senate Harry Reid is doing all the talking. He will always speak for the entire Senate about every bill coming to the Senate even before it arrives that it is dead on arrival. He is acting just like a Dictator and ordering the Senate on what they can and cannot do period. I sure wish some of the real Democrats would begin thinking for them selves and I think Corker and Alexander will vote for the bill the House sent and reject Harry Reid and Obama. Right now if the Country shuts down it's Harry Reid and Obama doing it and not the Republicans because the Republicans are doing only what the majority of the people in America are screaming at the top of their lungs to stop. I read last night that is the Government shuts down it will shut down Parks, White House tours again, and send 100,000 aids and none unessential personnel on furloughs. If they have that many unessential employees in Washington they need to get rid of about 75% of them permanently and down size the Federal Government payroll. I mean it was a democrat that called the people unessential. That is an open admission that these people are not needed....Like I said I'm sure glad that The House Speaker finally got his back bone out of his closet and put it on before going to work.............jmho    

Guest TankerHC

Self preservation, nothing more. They knew when they forward a budget for the umteenth time it will not get past Reids Senate if there is anything Obama disagrees with and if it does, Obama made clear this morning he would veto it and would not negotiate with the Republicans. Ill put it bluntly. The Republican Party are Obama's bitches. They have no backbone, period, and in the end Obama will get exactly what he wants. Obama will veto anything they send up that he doesn't like. They have until midnight tomorrow. At the last minute they will come up with something and they all be hero's to the American people. If for some reason the Gov gets shut down (Not the first time in History as Obama keeps saying), it will be the Republicans doing because Obama will have saved "something" by standing up to the Republicans who wanted to shut down Government to "prove a point". 

There will be no delay. Obama the King said it last week which made the House and Senate votes completely predictable. He said this morning he will sign no budget that comes with a delay.

Stand by to watch the Republicans get slapped around by Obama again.  

Self preservation, nothing more. They knew when they forward a budget for the umteenth time it will not get past Reids Senate if there is anything Obama disagrees with and if it does, Obama made clear this morning he would veto it and would not negotiate with the Republicans. Ill put it bluntly. The Republican Party are Obama's bitches. They have no backbone, period, and in the end Obama will get exactly what he wants. Obama will veto anything they send up that he doesn't like. They have until midnight tomorrow. At the last minute they will come up with something and they all be hero's to the American people. If for some reason the Gov gets shut down (Not the first time in History as Obama keeps saying), it will be the Republicans doing because Obama will have saved "something" by standing up to the Republicans who wanted to shut down Government to "prove a point". 

There will be no delay. Obama the King said it last week which made the House and Senate votes completely predictable. He said this morning he will sign no budget that comes with a delay.

Stand by to watch the Republicans get slapped around by Obama again.  

You may be right but I think this time for some reason Obama is not going to get his way and I hope he does shut down the Government with a  Veto. That will furlough 100,000 Federal folks that thought he would protect them instead he is willing to throw them to the wolves. Wonder where his ratings will be after that since they have been slowly falling for last several months and if the Republicans cave they will not be hero's so I think they are looking at 2014 and what they can gain in the Senate.........jmho

Edited by bersaguy

Backbone?  We must not be reading the same articles.  There is nothing backbone about what the House Republican leadership is doing.  Case in point, http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/359829/kevin-mccarthy-house-will-send-third-volley-senate-if-reid-rejects-last-nights-bill

Why in the hell are Republicans already saying that they have another option available if Reid rejects their second bill?  Honestly, why would Reid even consider the second bill knowing the Republicans will have a third bill that will be more to his liking?  What kind of negotiation technique is that?  I swear, the Republican leadership is acting like a bunch of wussifed beta males.

The only reason the Republican leadership is doing as much as they are doing is because they were forced to because people like Cruz, Lee, and some others stirred up the American people, and they have been hounding their representatives.  Here is the Republican leadership when dealing with Reid and Obama.

3s2ejw.jpg

• Like 1
Guest TankerHC
Wait! They are going to send up a bill that will include ending subsidies for congressional staffers? What about them? The Congress themselves? Do they think the American public is that stupid? So removing subsidies for a few thousand staffers is fundamental change to Obamacare? Who the f are they trying to fool?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

... I read last night that is the Government shuts down it will shut down Parks, White House tours again, and send 100,000 aids and none unessential personnel on furloughs.

Just a note -- there are already no White House tours, shut down 3/9/13.

- OS

So what will senate republicans do with version 2 of the bill? Will such as McCain and Corker continue to caucus with Reid?

For Lamar, it depends on there being sound bites
available for his primary challenge.
Guest TankerHC
No there are tours. The week following the initial shutdown and cancelation Obama brought Morsi and his family. They got a tour which is one of the reasons people started raising heck.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Well I know I may have opened up a can of worms when I posted that but I think had it not been for guys like Cruz , Paul, Lee and others The Republicans would have bowed to the whims of the dictator long before now. You notice I didn't mention specific back bones, I just said backbones. It was the young guns that pushed the old goats forward and they did move forward so it did show determination by the Young guns to keep their promises to the people when they ran for the offices for which they got elected to. To me that shows back bone and it has sure got Reid and Obama pi$$ed for sure. I just hope and pray that the American people see when the Government gets shut down who actually shut it down and it won't be the Republicans doing what was ask of them by the people. It will either be Reid or a veto from Obama that does it..............jmho

And all the House should do is re-submit the
same bill they already have. Let the chips fall
and it sits squarely in the Dems lap

That would be backbone. Screw'um.

And if everyone in the House got in front of a camera and just repeated what Ted Cruz said, there's 21 hrs of material to use and make their case. Have a few of them call Dingy Reid out and the lies of the president. That would be backbone.

Might well have them bring up all the scandals, all the spending and all the unemployment. Get the truth out there and maybe, just maybe a few reporters would get a clue of what's happening and turn the disaster around.

Yea, dreaming I know.  :drama:

Yea, dreaming I know.  :drama:

It absolutely is. And even if it worked, and the CR "defunded" it for a year, wouldn't mean doodley squat as far as ACA implementation.

The one year delay the GOP is proposing would have a greater temporary effect.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well I just like to look at things more positively I guess and I just hope that somewhere there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for the country I love so much. I can see that there is a lot of negative views and I guess so many folks have given up on the Country that ya'll are probably right. Just give up and let her go down the tubes. That is all negativity does is drag her down farther and if I have offended anyone I am sorry but I just don't give up so easy I guess.........jmho

Well I just like to look at things more positively I guess and I just hope that somewhere there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel for the country I love so much. I can see that there is a lot of negative views and I guess so many folks have given up on the Country that ya'll are probably right. Just give up and let her go down the tubes. That is all negativity does is drag her down farther and if I have offended anyone I am sorry but I just don't give up so easy I guess.........jmho

This is a big PR gamble on the part of the GOP controlled House. And PR only, as there is nothing really legislatively or fiscally tangible to be gained.

Time only will tell if this may increase or decrease the GOP voting base nationally, but no matter how you feel about the current Grand Old Party, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by decreasing it. And whether it foments electing more conservative Republicans state by state is debatable too, but it certainly does nothing to lure liberals or moderates, and is unlikely to change many independents into hard core right wingers, or even Republicans at all.

Now I'm even seeing folks here, once Carr's primary bid fails, preferring to elect a Democrat instead of Lamar. Good plan. Not.

And really, this current battle is small potatoes compared with the debt limit debate -- the next windmill at which the hardline GOP will tilt.

That actually has the potential to have real effects, real fast, real bad. For you and me and most everyone. Or not. But it's a hell of a risk, and the pot to win had better be worth it, unlike, by comparison, the penny ante one in this current skirmish

Which is all to say that looking at things realistically is not negativism, and it's a helluva lot better than being a constantly disappointed Pollyanna.

- OS

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

This is a big PR gamble on the part of the GOP controlled House. And PR only, as there is nothing really legislatively or fiscally tangible to be gained.

Time only will tell if this may increase or decrease the GOP voting base nationally, but no matter how you feel about the current Grand Old Party, there is absolutely nothing to be gained by decreasing it. And whether it foments electing more conservative Republicans state by state is debatable too, but it certainly does nothing to lure liberals or moderates, and is unlikely to change many independents into hard core right wingers, or even Republicans at all.

If a politician gets elected with a campaign promise to jump off a cliff, then I better see the fella jumping off a dang cliff! A tall cliff. I don't want to hear silly excuses about how he really, really, really does want to jump off that cliff but now is not the proper strategic time.

An honest politician is one who stays bought. If he didn't want to jump off the cliff then he shouldn't have promised. What, I'm gonna believe him next time, and vote for the fella again?

"I tried my best to jump off a cliff for the last 6 years, but there never was a strategic moment to do it. However if you vote for me just one more time, then sometime within the next 6 years I'll really do it. And this time I really mean it."

If a politician gets elected with a campaign promise to jump off a cliff, then I better see the fella jumping off a dang cliff! A tall cliff. I don't want to hear silly excuses about how he really, really, really does want to jump off that cliff but now is not the proper strategic time.

An honest politician is one who stays bought. If he didn't want to jump off the cliff then he shouldn't have promised. What, I'm gonna believe him next time, and vote for the fella again?

"I tried my best to jump off a cliff for the last 6 years, but there never was a strategic moment to do it. However if you vote for me just one more time, then sometime within the next 6 years I'll really do it. And this time I really mean it."

If you mean those who promised to try and get rid of Obamacare, fine, but this won't do it, and they know it. If you're satisfied with symbolic gestures, I guess they justified the votes, with no great risk to the society, just a gamble on near future of the party's fortunes.

I suppose risking the debt limit thing might actually be able to slow it down some, as that's a much higher stake lever,  but if the USD becomes worth 50 cents because of it, I wonder how many will be glad they "lived up to" that  campaign promise.

And of course, still not nuke ObamaCare in any significant way. That will take an actual bill to fundamentally change or repeal it, and won't happen until it's a perceived individual advantage to the majority in both chambers.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
 but if the USD becomes worth 50 cents because of it, I wonder how many will be glad they "lived up to" that  campaign promise.

- OS

Worth 50 cents according to what year? I paid $.35 for gasoline a gallon in my high school days, the dollars I saved then are worth what now?

Worth 50 cents according to what year? I paid $.35 for gasoline a gallon in my high school days, the dollars I saved then are worth what now?

Like, worth half within a month or so.  Interest rates on federal bonds having to double or triple to get takers, all foreign products doubling in price. OPEC demands payment in something other than the USD. Stock market plummets.  Like that.

Gonna happen anyway, but a creep over 5 years is an entirely different matter than same in 6 months or less. It could happen.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Another sad thing about this whole thing is that we can sit
around and argue about something that will keep on costing
not them, a single penny, but us, the whole country.

And half-assed justify it in the process.

It doesn't matter how it goes, but that it goes away completely
before the entire economy goes down because of it.

My prediction, concerning what is about to happen.  There is a good chance the Government will shut down tonight.  Tomorrow the press will hand the Republicans their heads.   Obamacare will not be stopped.  Within the week, there will be such a clamor from the public, that the Republicans will start backtracking.  There will be finger pointing, from both sides of the aisle, at the Tea Party.  The Tea Party may take their ball and go home.  Come the 2014 election, the Democrats will win the House and possibly gain a super majority in the Senate.  Gun Control will at the top of the agenda.  The UN Arms Treaty will be ratified.  Another Democrat will be elected President in 2016.  We will all be wondering how this country went to hell in a hand basket and crying, weeping because they are coming to take our guns.

This is an unnecessary fight that is going to affect us all, in a negative way.

Just calling it like I see it.  I don't think this is going to be good.

• Like 1

My prediction, concerning what is about to happen.  There is a good chance the Government will shut down tonight.  Tomorrow the press will hand the Republicans their heads.   Obamacare will not be stopped.  Within the week, there will be such a clamor from the public, that the Republicans will start backtracking.  There will be finger pointing, from both sides of the aisle, at the Tea Party.  The Tea Party may take their ball and go home.  Come the 2014 election, the Democrats will win the House and possibly gain a super majority in the Senate.  Gun Control will at the top of the agenda.  The UN Arms Treaty will be ratified.  Another Democrat will be elected President in 2016.  We will all be wondering how this country went to hell in a hand basket and crying, weeping because they are coming to take our guns.

I certainly don't know if the outcomes will be that dire, but agree they could be. Main thing is that there's about zero chance things could go as drastically toward the conservative continuum, so I agree this has been to date a poker pot not worth the buy in for the GOP.

Shutting down de gooberment is one thing, but if the debt limit struggle goes past the deadline, and certainly for very long, could be we won't have to wait very long to see some real "results" -- it's uncharted water.

- OS

• Like 1

Just a thought: After the government shutdown in 1995 the GOP GAINED seats in the '96 elections. I'm not prophet but I do read my history, and for me that's current events.:)