If I was on this list I would be pi$$ed

This shutdown will also kill. Military pensions and disability payments.

If that includes any of you the VA said it will go bankrupt in 2-3 weeks if they pay those checks out to people with no income from the gooberment. So they said if it lasts longer than 2-3 weeks, they won't pay out.

I do not know where you got your information from, but it is wrong.  Below is a link for the VA on what will and will not be impacted by a shut down.

http://www.va.gov/opa/docs/field_guide_20130927.pdf

I'd like the House of Representatives to take a stand and BE what the House of Representatives is supposed to be, keeper of the purse-strings, our immediate voice in government. I'd like to see continuing resolutions for the essential federal departments, Department of Defense, Department of Veterans Affairs, etc, etc. I'd like to see the EPA and the Department of Education NOT have a continuing resolution.

We've got a totally out of control and arrogant dictator instead of a president and he needs to be hauled up short by his oysters. De-fund fuel for Air Force One and de-fund his damn golf games. He's lording himself with our money, he's paying his cronies with our money, and at least for a little while he needs to be told NO when he comes to mommy and daddy for spending money.

We're always talking about how big and wasteful the federal government is, perhaps big parts of it need to be SHUT DOWN until the budget balances. Two or three years of no EPA and a few of the other wasteful departments and I doubt most of us would even notice it except to sing glory hallelujah.

What do you mean two or three years? A whole lot should be permanently
buried, like radioactive waste. We'd be better for it.

Okay, I guess the briefing I got on it last week was incorrect. I'll let the boss know.

Please do, tell him/her to read the OPM website, everything is covered there.

Actually, will save you the trouble:

EXCEPTED SERVICE

Federal Government civilian positions are generally in of the competitive civil service. To obtain a competitive service job, you must compete with other applicants in open competition. OPM provides excepted service hiring authorities to fill special jobs or to fill any job in unusual or special circumstances under "Schedules A (external link), B, (external link), and D." These excepted service authorities enable agencies to hire when it is not feasible or not practical to use traditional competitive hiring procedures, and can streamline hiring.

Essential and non-essential depend on the classification of the position; basically a GS-0083 (LEO) desk jockey may be considered non-essential when his friend at the same unit, another GS-0083 (LEO) that does patrol work would be considered essential and required to work.

You can see they're two completely different things; hiring authorities and specific position classifications due to duties.

Edited by Sam1
  • Moderators
A friend of mine posted an article on the Book of Face earlier today regarding the massive negative impact a shutdown would have on the D.C. local economy. This was my response. It pretty much encompasses my feelings regarding the effects of the shutdown across the wider economy as well.

"I have a hard time finding any sympathy for the participants in a local economy dependent on legalized plunder. This is especially true when the danger faced is the temporary ceasing of activities by the entity engaged in larceny on their behalf."

A friend of mine posted an article on the Book of Face earlier today regarding the massive negative impact a shutdown would have on the D.C. local economy. This was my response. It pretty much encompasses my feelings regarding the effects of the shutdown across the wider economy as well.

"I have a hard time finding any sympathy for the participants in a local economy dependent on legalized plunder. This is especially true when the danger faced is the temporary ceasing of activities by the entity engaged in larceny on their behalf."

I think it's an oversimplification to find the maid at the local hotel culpable in the actions of an overreaching government. I don't think that economy should be a deciding factor when it comes to government shutdown, but I also empathize with workers who are hit hard because of it.
  • Moderators

I think it's an oversimplification to find the maid at the local hotel culpable in the actions of an overreaching government. I don't think that economy should be a deciding factor when it comes to government shutdown, but I also empathize with workers who are hit hard because of it.

I didn't say they were culpable, I just don't have any sympathy for them. Just because a person may benefit from the misdeeds of others, does not necessarily mean they are guilty as well of the other party's actions. However, if something causes the guilty party to cease, even temporarily, those misdeeds and it causes the benefitting person to suffer because of that, oh well. Sometimes life sucks and I have my own problems to worry about.

I didn't say they were culpable, I just don't have any sympathy for them. Just because a person may benefit from the misdeeds of others, does not necessarily mean they are guilty as well of the other party's actions. However, if something causes the guilty party to cease, even temporarily, those misdeeds and it causes the benefitting person to suffer because of that, oh well. Sometimes life sucks and I have my own problems to worry about.

I don't think it's so linear though. In DC there are honest folks like you and I who work just like anywhere else. The only difference is the clientele works for the gov. I can't blame a person who washes dishes or sells insurance in DC just because they live there. I don't think that should be a deciding factor when it comes to the size of our government, but I certainly empathize with their situation. Not getting paid sucks, especially when you're doing honest work. The dishonest work our gov is up to doesn't involve the person changing oil on the beltway.

Just one more thing the media seemed happy to report, gun permits, i'm sure they mean carry permits will not be issued during the shutdown because of so-called cuts to the ATF.

Carry permits have nothing whatsoever to do with the federal government, so I doubt they meant that even as dumb as they are on the subject of firearm law.

I don't think most of ATF is funded by yearly discretionary spending, but could be wrong. But for sure, if Obama or his minions think of it and can legally do it, I know they'd love to shut down the 4473 process. Just like he made the sequester hurt as much as he could by selective funding.

edit: here's a quote from NSSF:

"HOW GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN WOULD AFFECT NICS AND ATF . . . In the event of a government shutdown on Tuesday, the FBI's NICS Section would remain fully operational and maintain normal business hours. However, ATF's Office of Enforcement Programs and Services (EPS) would effectively be shut down, operating with minimal staff."

Hope they're right.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

I don't think it's so linear though. In DC there are honest folks like you and I who work just like anywhere else. The only difference is the clientele works for the gov. I can't blame a person who washes dishes or sells insurance in DC just because they live there. I don't think that should be a deciding factor when it comes to the size of our government, but I certainly empathize with their situation. Not getting paid sucks, especially when you're doing honest work. The dishonest work our gov is up to doesn't involve the person changing oil on the beltway.

What difference does it make, Dan? Business goes up and down everywhere, whether it be political or not. When the railroad

laid people off, it was because of business being down. Those folks working for the government should not assume they have

a lifetime job, like so many often do. If they're motivated, and have any sense, they will get a job somewhere else. They ought

to know those S&H green stamps will run out, eventually.

When a politician wants a tax increase, whether it be Clarksville or DC, what's the first thing they say? Your fire and police

service will suffer. It's the politician who should suffer. They created the problem. The rest can't be helped. They want to fix

the problem? Quit finding new ways to spend our money. They need to know it isn't theirs.

What difference does it make, Dan? Business goes up and down everywhere, whether it be political or not. When the railroad
laid people off, it was because of business being down. Those folks working for the government should not assume they have
a lifetime job, like so many often do. If they're motivated, and have any sense, they will get a job somewhere else. They ought
to know those S&H green stamps will run out, eventually.

When a politician wants a tax increase, whether it be Clarksville or DC, what's the first thing they say? Your fire and police
service will suffer. It's the politician who should suffer. They created the problem. The rest can't be helped. They want to fix
the problem? Quit finding new ways to spend our money. They need to know it isn't theirs.

I agree, I just sympathize with anyone losing their job. It sucks. I can't hold them accountable for what the gov does.

Please do, tell him/her to read the OPM website, everything is covered there.

Actually, will save you the trouble:

Essential and non-essential depend on the classification of the position; basically a GS-0083 (LEO) desk jockey may be considered non-essential when his friend at the same unit, another GS-0083 (LEO) that does patrol work would be considered essential and required to work.

You can see they're two completely different things; hiring authorities and specific position classifications due to duties.

Those two words are obviously much more important to you than me. I'm out of work today regardless of whatever the hell word you want to use for it.

I unfortunately do not have much sympathy for the guy who merely plays the piano in a whorehouse.

He knows he plays a piano and therefore isn't directly involved in the whorehouse activities upstairs, but he also knows he's playing it in a whorehouse. He's done the calculus. He's making more money playing the piano IN the whorehouse; he also knows he must put up with the occasional police raid and all the other complications from being IN the whorehouse. He always had the opportunity to go play a piano someplace else for lesser wages.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1

Losing the job, people can cope with that.  Its keeping it and being sent home for a week or whatever that is frustrating.  They still have their jobs.  Its very different from being laid off because being laid off is over and done, you move on.  Here, you linger, wondering if you should just enjoy a day or 2 off and hope it does not become a month or more...   the decision to quit or stay is more complex.    And, again, its wrong because the folks that are not getting paid are the honest workers.  The higher ups will all be untouched in the short term.

• Like 1

And, again, its wrong because the folks that are not getting paid are the honest workers.  The higher ups will all be untouched in the short term.

Jonnin, that is the way it is in the private sector too.  How many stories have we read were companies have been ran into the ground by poor management?  Then we find out that the upper management will be taken care of via golden parachutes, etc... while the rest of the workers take it up the rear.  The public sector workforce shouldn't receive any kind of protection (at taxpayer's expense) that we in the private sector do not receive.

Those two words are obviously much more important to you than me. I'm out of work today regardless of whatever the hell word you want to use for it.

This is the same thing all civilians go through when they worry about getting laid off. Obviously it sucks, but it's just something that has to be planned for... A shutdown has been threatened every year for the past 4 years.
Guest 6.8 AR

I agree, I just sympathize with anyone losing their job. It sucks. I can't hold them accountable for what the gov does.

I do, too, but when someone obtains employment from a source that is subject to political whims, they should know better.

When the person who gains that employment, then loses it, then realizes the job they had has little or no value in the long

term, they might seek gainful employment from people who place value in their charge above the government, since that

same government has no value whatsoever and creates nothing but slaves, in the long run. Washington, DC is a prime

example of waste, from the word go. It is a shameless example of cronyism and most everything there involves too many

looters and moochers.

I would hate to think I had to live off that. My tax dollars pay for it, just like everything else the government wastes money on.

Guest 6.8 AR

Jonnin, that is the way it is in the private sector too.  How many stories have we read were companies have been ran into the ground by poor management?  Then we find out that the upper management will be taken care of via golden parachutes, etc... while the rest of the workers take it up the rear.  The public sector workforce shouldn't receive any kind of protection (at taxpayer's expense) that we in the private sector do not receive.

And the private sector is what funds the government. Well, except for the money laundering scam the Treasury prints up

each day for nothing more than bringing back the Weimar Republic to us.

I do, too, but when someone obtains employment from a source that is subject to political whims, they should know better.

When the person who gains that employment, then loses it, then realizes the job they had has little or no value in the long

term, they might seek gainful employment from people who place value in their charge above the government, since that

same government has no value whatsoever and creates nothing but slaves, in the long run. Washington, DC is a prime

example of waste, from the word go. It is a shameless example of cronyism and most everything there involves too many

looters and moochers.

I would hate to think I had to live off that. My tax dollars pay for it, just like everything else the government wastes money on.

Well I think that could be said of any industry.  We have a lot of industry in Clarksville.  If suddenly the city decides to tax local manufacturers to the point they relocate, is it the fault of the factory workers?  I'm not saying that I think there needs to be any bailout or continuation of stupid spending for the sake of private service industry jobs in the DC area, I just have no animosity towards those people.  They aren't at all part of the problem.  If they lose their job, well that's life, and it sucks.  But man, I do feel bad for them.

Guest 6.8 AR

I don't mean to have animosity towards any person, but they should be thinking of possible consequences. And,

yes, it would be Clarksville's fault. They have the "fools-in-government" things going on, right here at home, also.

I don't mean to be aiming blame on the workers, either. Just wise up to politicians, since we pay the fools.

Well I think that could be said of any industry.  We have a lot of industry in Clarksville.  If suddenly the city decides to tax local manufacturers to the point they relocate, is it the fault of the factory workers?  I'm not saying that I think there needs to be any bailout or continuation of stupid spending for the sake of private service industry jobs in the DC area, I just have no animosity towards those people.  They aren't at all part of the problem.  If they lose their job, well that's life, and it sucks.  But man, I do feel bad for them.

I don't mean to come off as a cold s.o.b., but I believe it would be wise for some of those in "nonessential" guv jobs to try to seek employment elsewhere over the next couple of years.  Each year that passes our fiscal situation is getting worse.  Eventually we won't have any money or borrowing ability to pay for such jobs.  The only way around it would be for the guv to confiscate even more money from the private sector, and I am sure we know how well that will go over.

I don't mean to come off as a cold s.o.b., but I believe it would be wise for some of those in "nonessential" guv jobs to try to seek employment elsewhere over the next couple of years.  Each year that passes our fiscal situation is getting worse.  Eventually we won't have any money or borrowing ability to pay for such jobs.  The only way around it would be for the guv to confiscate even more money from the private sector, and I am sure we know how well that will go over.

Well, I was speaking more to the service industry jobs in the DC area in response to one of the posts.  Yes, actual government workers should always be prepared for shifting winds in the political arena, but that's true of any industry when you think about it.  Hell, Blackberry just let go half their employees.  The only difference is one is funded with our tax dollars (well, I guess the gov has singlehandedly kept Blackberry going for so long too).  I just feel bad for anyone who's getting canned for circumstances beyond their control.  Now, union workers... well, that's a different story.  Their unions bring the pain upon them so I don't feel bad when they get shut down.