Jake Locker's Injury. Clean hit?

Guest Bassman17SC

Guest Bassman17SC

According to the latest news, Titans' starting QB Jake Locker may be out 4-8 weeks after he sustained an injury from two hits after throwing a pass against the Jets  this past Sunday.  According to the latest, there are no fractures, but he definitely suffered soft tissue injuries to the MCL of his right knee and to his right hip.  The docs are waiting for the swelling to decrease before more MRIs to determine the exact nature of the hip injury.

My take is that he had a partial dislocation (i.e., subluxation) to the hip.

However, there are some that say the hit(s) to him should have been flagged.  I quite agree.  What say you?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1792039-jake-locker-late-hit-will-muhammad-wilkerson-be-fined-or-suspended

I could be missing something, but I don't think the hit caused the injury directly.  It looked to me like he impacted the ground hard on that right knee (while doubled over - so hip was at an angle - not it's strongest alignment) ... so hard he bounced.  It was after that moment that he grasped at the hip in pain.  If you watch that bounce, it looks to me like it could do some damage.

Now... the hit appeared to be late to me... maybe that's just me.

Edited by Peace

I could be missing something, but I don't think the hit caused the injury directly.  It looked to me like he impacted the ground hard on that right knee (while doubled over - so hip was at an angle - not it's strongest alignment) ... so hard he bounced.  It was after that moment that he grasped at the hip in pain.  If you watch that bounce, it looks to me like it could do some damage.

Now... the hit appeared to be late to me... maybe that's just me.

-------------------------------------

I'm far from an expert here, but after seeing the millions of replays on this hit(s), I have to agree with Peace. From the view of an armchair fan, the initial hit from Wilkerson, at least from the shown footage, seemed "legal." But playing "devil's advocate here," lets look at the other questions I have.

But with all the multi-angle shots these days, why haven't we seen this from a different view? All I've seen show from the right side, with Wilkerson coming in from the left/front. Are there any other camera shots?

And I've seen some speculation that ? second player might have planted a  right forearm to Locker's helmet as he(Locker) was falling down.

Again this same view from the right is all I've seen.

Not saying this is fact, just wondering.

In any event, Jake was having the best game of his Titans tenure, and wish him the speddiest of recovery.

I think Fitzpatrick will be able to hold his own. He is a seasoned quarterback and has proven he can get the job done and he did a good job with coming fresh off the bench cold Sunday. I think with a week of working out as starting quarterback he will do what is necessary to get a win..jmho

Guest Bassman17SC

If you watch the video, you can see the first guy take at least two steps before hitting Locker, after he releases the ball.  

My objection to the first guy is that he lowered his helmet and hit Locker with the crown.  The second guy then hit Locker (while on the way down); it appears that he hits Locker with his forearm above the shoulder.  The second guy's lick, regardless of how hard, was late.  Period.

Thank goodness it is just a sprain.

Nothing wrong with the first hit. At some point your going to have to stop flagging every single hit on qbs or start running 7 on 7 drills. Also, if you have to question whether a hit was late, then it probably wasnt. The second one I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing that part of it. Regardless, don't think that second hit caused the injury. Looked pretty awkward when he landed.

I think that every time an official throws a flag, a deputy should step onto the field and serve a criminal warrant on the offending player.

It's football for crying out loud!

We're turning into a nation of old women . . . . .

• Like 1