Need to vent

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
Well I've been fighting this bastard for three damn hours the hose will not stay on at all.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Make sure the vent and hose are not clogged up with lint or other obstructions, check that it is clear all the way to the outside. If it got restricted that could cause the coils to overheat and result in the burning smell. The restriction could also cause it to blow out the hose or clamp. I have had this happen a few times over the years usually clogged at the little grill outside or in a bend of the hose.

Good luck with it. No better way to learn than tinkering around with it yourself.

I looked and can't even find where its vented on the house.

Guest 6.8 AR

Where is the dryer? Basement, kitchen? Can't find an outside flap? could be vented into the crawlspace, not supposed

to be, but could be. If it goes into the wall and no exit, get one of those lint traps that sits inside behind the dryer, but get

a hole through the wall for a permanent remedy.

Well I've been fighting this bastard for three damn hours the hose will not stay on at all.

those clamps can be a pain for sure. What you might do is try nylon tie wraps to attach the hose to the dryer. That is what I use. Your probably just getting to frustrated and need a break. Now I did  this with mine but may not recommend it to all. I couldn't get my vent hose to remain on dryer lip long enough to get tie wrap on so a  couple drops of Krazy glue placed on the dry vent and then stick vent hose on and it will hold it in place till you can get the tie wrap or camp in place..........jmho     Now with that said you really need to find out where the dryer vents or exits the house for sure......jmho

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="bersaguy" post="1042671" timestamp="1380736479"] those clamps can be a pain for sure. What you might do is try nylon tie wraps to attach the hose to the dryer. That is what I use. Your probably just getting to frustrated and need a break. Now I did this with mine but may not recommend it to all. I couldn't get my vent hose to remain on dryer lip long enough to get tie wrap on so a couple drops of Krazy glue placed on the dry vent and then stick vent hose on and it will hold it in place till you can get the tie wrap or camp in place..........jmho Now with that said you really need to find out where the dryer vents or exits the house for sure......jmho[/quote] It goes down into the floor. I pulled at least 10 ft of hose out before I stopped. The house is under pinned. Surely the previous owner had enough since not to vent it under the house. But they probably did right into the crawl space. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Where is the dryer? Basement, kitchen? Can't find an outside flap? could be vented into the crawlspace, not supposed
to be, but could be. If it goes into the wall and no exit, get one of those lint traps that sits inside behind the dryer, but get
a hole through the wall for a permanent remedy.

No flap that I can see. I bet the previous dumbass owner vented it into the crawl space.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
I've called a repair man. He should hopefully be out here later today. The burning smell worries me. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

The best way to learn is to do. I've taken my dryer apart a few times over the decade+ that I've had it. In fact, most things I've learned how to tinker on in adulthood has been through trial and error. It's a learning experience you look back on and value despite it being so frustrating in the moment.

This is a great point however there is something to be said about learning these "life lessons" and other things from your parents. My dad is great but he didn't show me any of the useful skills I would love to have. Being a first time homeowner has been an interesting experience so far.

I've called a repair man. He should hopefully be out here later today. The burning smell worries me. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Given what you've stated above, I think that's a wise choice.  You may end up needing to properly route the vent.  If you've access to the space under the floor (crawlspace), that's not real hard to DIY.  Though it does involve cutting a hole in the side of your house, which has some pucker factor. 

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

This is a great point however there is something to be said about learning these "life lessons" and other things from your parents. My dad is great but he didn't show me any of the useful skills I would love to have. Being a first time homeowner has been an interesting experience so far.

I'm starting to wish I'd just rented.

Given what you've stated above, I think that's a wise choice.  You may end up needing to properly route the vent.  If you've access to the space under the floor (crawlspace), that's not real hard to DIY.  Though it does involve cutting a hole in the side of your house, which has some pucker factor. 

Go in from above

0.jpg

• Like 1
Guest Phantom6

If you have any extra parts left over after working on things around your house, put 'em over on your workbench cause you can always use 'em when working on your lawn mower. :lol:  

Seriously, good luck. Take a breath and take it slow. You'll get it going.

Edited by Phantom6
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="Phantom6" post="1042711" timestamp="1380740510"] If you have any extra parts left over after working on things around your house, put 'em over on your workbench cause you can always use 'em when working on your lawn mower. :lol: Seriously, good luck. Take a breath and take it slow. You'll get it going.[/quote] Its going finally but the damned thing is vented into the crawl space and there are no vents anywhere. Apparently in order to get to the lint trap you have to crawl under the house. WTF? The repair man had tools I didn't have. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

Its going finally but the damned thing is vented into the crawl space and there are no vents anywhere. Apparently in order to get to the lint trap you have to crawl under the house. WTF?

Crawl under the house and find it.  There's all kinds of interesting things in the crawl space.   ;)

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="peejman" post="1042752" timestamp="1380744242"] Crawl under the house and find it. There's all kinds of interesting things in the crawl space. ;)[/quote] Hell no. My 6ft5 300 pound ass is chlostrophobic. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Crawl under the house and find it. There's all kinds of interesting things in the crawl space. ;)

Like rats, brown recluses, black widows, roaches, etc. All the things I hate.

Guest 6.8 AR
Well, now you know. Next time it will be something simple like replacing the pump on the washing machine. J/K

I did that lately, wasn't too bad. :D

Owning a home is where you learn all the dad stuff. Since I've owned my house I've leaned a whole lot of stuff I didn't know before. It's a learning experience, but one I know will come in handy for the next one I buy.
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

When we were kids we couldnt afford washers or dryers. Every weekend we would load up the clothes and spend a few hours at the laundry mat. Thats the place to go in a pinch.

Yeah

A house I once rented had the vent hole going through the crawl space beneath the home.  Of course, they had just laid new floors before I moved in there and didn't cut the hole for the ventilation duct, so when I was setting up the washer and dryer I was lost in the sauce.

The vent comes out the back of the house on the home I currently own.  Every year these damned black birds somehow manage to yank off the grate I have over the vent and make a nest in there.  Every year until this past year when I killed one of those bastards.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

All most people need is a little confidence to do most repairs. Most people are afraid of failure. Also, don't be afraid to call a professional.

My wife and I built our house in 2003 and we had never built a house before. We took out a loan with a list of stuff I planned on buying and worked every day after work for a year. We had a friend help is frame it and we did pay someone to do the block work, electrical and siding but everything else we did ourselves. I plumbed the entire house myself and a couple of plumbers that have been out since my injury said it looks fine. My wife did all the cabinets and painting. We both did the flooring which was carpet at the time because it was cheap and easy. I can remember the day we did the roof using painted metal panels was what seemed like the windiest day. Every time my wife tried handing up a 17' long and 3' wide panel I thought she was going to fly away.

We made a few mistakes a long the way but we learned and that is what this is, a learning experience. And my father taught me nothing about building.

One thing I'm learning from this thread is that I'm not much different than most as their fathers never taught them how to repair stuff either.

I guess my dad was better than some, though I do have LOTS of experience holding a flashlight and watching him work on something.  He was always building something, he's been a hobby carpenter my whole life.  I started out wrenching on skateboards and bicycles and learned most of my mechanic stuff working on my and several other people's cars while in school.  We replaced cams, water pumps, brakes, and rebuilt engines and transmissions in the school parking lot.  We even pulled the body off a car and swapped the entire chassis from another car into it over a weekend.  Learned design and fabrications skills building a race car as well. 

My parents built their retirement home themselves about 15 years ago.  I'd come home from college most every weekend to help out with whatever they were doing at the time.  Early on during the framing, I recall getting rather annoyed with my usual "hold the flashlight" task.  I said.... "Dad, I didn't drive 100 miles to spend my weekend holding the flashlight for you.  I think I'm a little over qualified for that.  Either give me something to do and let me do it, or I'm gonna go drink beer with my friends."   So from that point, I wired in every wall switch, outlet, and light fixture in that house, built a couple built-in shelves, hung a bunch of trim, and painted until my arms fell off.  I screwed up a few things and had to redo them, but that's just part of it.