RIP Tom Clancy

http://kotaku.com/tom-clancy-dies-1440128050

Best-selling author Tom Clancy, best known in the video game world for his work on big franchises like Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon, has passed away.P

The New York Times confirms that Clancy died in a hospital last night. He was 66.P

In 1996, Clancy helped found a video game development studio called Red Storm Entertainment, where he would go on to develop a number of big video game franchises—some based on his books; others original. Red Storm was later purchased by Ubisoft, the publisher that continues to make games under Clancy's name. His most recent release was the stealth-action game Splinter Cell: Blacklist. P

"We are saddened to learn of Tom Clancy’s passing and our condolences go out to his family," Ubisoft wrote on their Facebook page this morning. "Tom Clancy was an extraordinary author with a gift for creating detailed, engrossing fictional stories that captivated audiences around the world. The teams at Ubisoft, especially at the Red Storm studio, are incredibly grateful to have collaborated with and learned from him, and we are humbled by the opportunity to carry on part of his legacy through our properties that bear his name."P

Other games that bear Clancy's name include the Rainbow Six series, The Hunt For Red October, and the upcoming next-gen game Tom Clancy's The Division.

Never read his books but have certainly played his games. He will be missed for sure.

Tom Clancy was a great writer. Sometimes a bit long-winded, but knew how to spin a tale. I've read almost all of his works and enjoyed all. My personal Favorite Read is a tossup between Red October and Patriot Games.

Negative!   Red Storm Rising or Without Remorse.  John Clark is the prototypical boogey man bad ass and that was a very good book.

I also read his books as a kid.  My dad had a bunch of them.  I'm actually re-reading one now, The Bear and The Dragon.  IMO, his work started slipping with his later stuff.

Like many authors who make it "big", Tom Clancy had some really terrific books and some no so terrific ones. The first novel I read was "Red Storm Rising" which, aside from being an excellent read, I found intriguing because it was all "Navy" and being former Navy myself it was interesting to see naval battles played out with ships and equipment and technology that I knew (sometimes knew very well).  I then went "back" and read the "Hunt For Red October". Following those I read most of his works until the past few years as they simply weren't as good.

Last year, I had the opportunity to take the two day "Fighting Rifle" class at Tactical Response with Mark Greaney who had just finished co-writing what was then a soon to be released "Threat Vector" (he also co-wrote the novel prior to "Threat Vector", "Locked On") - Mark and I talked a bit about Tom Clancy and his ups/downs but I do think the two that Mark was involved in were much better than some of the previous works.

Anyway...I'm going to miss Tom Clancy's books...he had a knack for using accurate military/technological data and weaving them into very believable novels (and also could make you feel good about your country).

RIP Tom, you will be missed.

Guest 6.8 AR

Read everyone of them from the beginning. That is the ones with Ryan, Clark, et al. Those books are all worth reading,

even if long winded. Bear and the Dragon takes time to get through, but the content is worth it. John Clark is an enigma.

The character, Jack Ryan, is also, but the actors portraying him in the movies didn't live up to the character.

Guest 6.8 AR
Well, Threat Vector is where Clark finally had to
retire, and still saw a bunch of action. His
shooting hand was crushed. I don't know, but I
guess he could have been working on some
kind of prequel thing. They seem to be vogue,
nowadays.
I would have bought it. :D

I was finally glad to hear someone read one of
his books who had a good voice. Lou Diamond
Phillips read Threat Vector.
I read them and listen again in the car, frequently.
Some of his earlier readers weren't very good.
Guest Bassman17SC

Like all of you, I will miss Mr. Clancy and his books.  The earlier ones with Jack Ryan did not really get long-winded until after The Sum of All Fears.  But the action sequences are what he was great at writing.  Also, I never found any errors on the firearms - ever.

He should have stopped after Bear and the Dragon. Tail of the Tiger was horrible. Trying to bring in a new generation of Ryans was a fail. Everything was about the clothes they were wearing and the Mercedes they were driving. Once he got famous he traded in his wife for a trophy. Been reading them since Red Storm rising came out, I still have copy that most of the pages are falling out from being read so many times, but I was not a fan later in life.

John Clark is THE man! Without Remorse is one of my favorites.

Edited by 1madss

According to one article, he died at John Hopkins Hospital after a short illness. His publisher did not know the cause of death, according to the article.

That's odd for someone as young as 66.  Life expectancy for a male non smoker at 65 is age 84.

Edited by jgradyc

I remember something important from one of the Jack Ryan, Jr books, but I can't remember what it was called. Ryan, Jr. goes in to clear a room in a training exercise and lets down his guard after dispatching the bad guy, only to get taken out by the second bad guy because he was no longer alert.  It was really good tactical lesson.

Anyone remember what this was called?  It's been bugging me for several months.