Sign in Pawn Shop

I stopped in a pawn shop on Kingston Pike today. It is the one in Bearden.

They had a sign on the door with a circle/slash thing atop a pistol and words that said " Gun Free School Zone"

What the heck does that mean?

There is a primary school a short distance from the pawn shop.

Never saw one of these signs before.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that West End is trying to play "nice" since the sicko who shot up the TVUUC bought his shotgun there.

Other than that I have no idea. Bearden Elem. is just about 100 yards away. Maybe that has something to do with it too.

Guest Boomhower

I've only been to the one off of Broadway. They had a sign out fron that stated something to the effect of permit holders could carry concealed, otherwise no guns.

And yeah, their prices were a little high for USED guns. But they were the cheapest at that time to do a transfer with and seemed very knowledgeable about the requrirements involved therein.

I do not see how it would prohibit anyone who has a HCP from carrying in their store.

It certainly does not meet criteria for being properly posted.

Is there something I am unaware of in relation to how near the school is to the pawn shop?

FWIW I carried.

Anyone want to interpret and discuss in relation to HCP? My take is you're legit carrying.

I agree. After reading the pamphlet, it specifically states that the prohibition does not apply to private property within the 1,000 ft zone. It further states that when leaving private property, as long as you are licensed by the state to possess a firearm, you would not be in violation of Federal Law. There are also some other exemptions.

The form won't let me copy and paste, but it is on page 2 of the pamphlet, under General Information.

I stopped in a pawn shop on Kingston Pike today. It is the one in Bearden.

They had a sign on the door with a circle/slash thing atop a pistol and words that said " Gun Free School Zone"

What the heck does that mean?

There is a primary school a short distance from the pawn shop.

Never saw one of these signs before.

I'm trying to think WHERE is that pawn shop?

Charlie's used to be near there but moved farther out.

What's the name of it?

- OS

Thanks...I'm by there all the time, haven't even noticed it.

Will check it out.

- OS

Okay, stopped in there today during errands.

Reason I haven't really noticed it, this place has for many years been an antique store, one of those that rents the spaces to dealers, forget the name of it. West End Pawn was just a tiny hole in the wall next to it; now West End has the whole shebang.

So I talked to the firearm guy for a while. Turns out West End took this over last October, can't believe I hadn't noticed. Anyway, he said something to the effect that "since they are within so many feet of the school, then..." I didn't debate the issue, just casually mentioned that I didn't think that was right, or he couldn't be SELLING guns in there either, that I thought he had his firearms/alcohol laws mixed up...

Anyway, very few handguns, and most of them were new Cobra Derringers and .380 autos (150-200 bucks), and a couple of new Keltec PF9's ($230 best I remember) which they sell as dealer status, I guess. Oh yeah, and a couple of new HighPoints (175). Had one spiffy looking Kimber for $700. Only a couple of other used guns. 6 or 8 rifles in background, dunno what, too far away and I don't recognize many rifles; one was some partially tricked out tac rifle of some sort.

Guy isn't doing FTL tranfer services "yet" because of some "computer glitch" they haven't worked out...

All in all, only somewhat overpriced stuff, not nearly as bad as Charlie's used to be, as far as TV/audio stuff, some fishing, golf stuff. But not nearly the handgun selection that Charlie's had (I've never been to Charlie's new location).

So, as far as the "school zone" gun ban sign (which is just a sticker), somebody must have given him some bogus legal advice, unless there's some statue somewhere I don't know about.

- OS

Guest janwbrown616

Well, if the owner does not want guns in his store, guess that would leave me out. Not sure what he could do other than ask you to leave... but, not worth the hassle....

Guest Glknknox

I stopped by there the other day beacause of this thread.

Big ass store for a pawn shop, usuall over priced stuff.

Didn't even notice those little 3 inch stickers on the door until I left.

Asked them about the transfer thing and got the same, computer glitch story.

Stopped by the new Charlies pawn the day before, smelled to bad in there so I left.:shake:

Not a big fan of pawn shop's but sometimes you can find a good deal on what they don't realize they have.