Where to hike this weekend?

I have a couple of friends I promised I would take on a short hike this weekend. I was planning on about a 4-5 mile roundtrip, maybe Rainbow Falls, Abrams Creek or the Chimney Tops. Unfortunately, thanks to our well run Congress and Federal Government, the parks are closed. Anyone know of a decent trail that is outside of the parks and thus open this weekend close to Knoxville? I really don't want to drive more than an hour or two. 

The only trail I know of off the top of my head is House mountain and while I haven't done that hike in years, I don't remember it being especially appealing. I also considered the trails that run across Max Patch Bald in North Carolina, but I did that hike last year and am looking for something different.  

I know it is possible to get to some trails within the park but I do not want to risk any potential legal ramifications by hiking on any trails in the park.  Thanks in advance. 

Big South Fork is national so I was under the impression it would be closed as well? As for the rain, the local forecast in Knoxville is only calling for 30% chance of isolated showers. Frozen Head is a State park so I'm guessing it would be unaffected by the shutdown. I will check it out. 

Any other ideas? 

It's a bit of a drive for you, but there are many trails in the Cherokee National Forest.  While the facilities will be unavailable, most of the roads are public and not gated, so you can still access most things.

If you have a chance, check out the drama on the usda website. http://www.usda.gov/fundinglapse.htm?contentidonly=true&contentid=shutdown_procedures.html  :drama:

Funny how the CNF subdomain is still able to run with the shutdown and all.

Edited by sigmtnman

It's a bit of a drive for you, but there are many trails in the Cherokee National Forest. While the facilities will be unavailable, most of the roads are public and not gated, so you can still access most things.

If you have a chance, check out the drama on the usda website. http://www.usda.gov/fundinglapse.htm?contentidonly=true&contentid=shutdown_procedures.html :drama:

Funny how the CNF subdomain is still able to run with the shutdown and all.

And now it's gone
Guest TankerHC
Pocket wilderness in Dayton. Promise you won't be disappointed. Its a trailhead entrance to the Cumberland Trail but is a State Park. First time I hit it I was pretty amazed. Mostly at the 125 year old construction of the train tunnel the miners built and the trestles carved out of solid giant rock in the streams. Beautiful and a nice trail and historic even if you only walk a mile. And it's a little hard to find off the beaten trail not a big state park like you would think. Take your bear spray. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

How is BSF closing enforced? The roads aren't gated. Have they posted signs? How are the uniformed masses to know?

I was going to say the same thing. There is no way for them to close off the trails at BSF.

I would suggest the Twin Arches loop trail or the Honey Creek Loop. Both are fantastic.

• Like 2

Frozen Head FTW. It's open as are all state parks. A nice loop hike there is to start on North Old Mac trail to Panther Branch and split left onto it. That will take you down hill and then runs along a creek. You'll have the option later to take a 1/2 mile spur from Panther Branch up to Emory Gap falls. It's worth it. Come back from there and continue on Panther Branch to its trail head. Then you have about a 1/2 mile walk along a quiet roadway back to your original trail head. Total distance should be somehwere around 5.5 miles.

I am not sure about enforcement at places like Big South Fork and while there may be a very low chance of running into any trouble, I don't really want to risk it. The Pocket Wilderness near Dayton looks nice but that is a little further then I want to travel for a short hike. 

I'm leaning towards Frozen Head State Park at this point. It is fairly close to Knoxville and I have never been out there. The Panther Branch trail appears to be about 2 miles so it would make for a nice easy hike.  The hike to the Chimney Tops there looks great too, but I will save it for a day when I can make more of a day of it. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. They were very helpful. 

Edited by dangerdanjd

I'm not sure how they can close the GSMNP Chomney Tops trail. The parking is along 441, which is open. Regardless, I've hiked all of the Frozen Head trails, and they are all just as nice as anything in the Smokeys.

While you are over by Frozen Head, consider finding Lily Bluff Overlook in the Obed Wild and Scenic area near Wartburg (right down the road from Frozen Head). the trail is only about 1/2 mile long, but it ends on a boardwalk overlook of the Clear Creek Canyon.

EDIT: Well nevermind on the Lilly Bluff Overlook. I just realized it a National Park too. But it is worth the trip when they reopen.

I'm not sure how they can close the GSMNP Chomney Tops trail. The parking is along 441, which is open. Regardless, I've hiked all of the Frozen Head trails, and they are all just as nice as anything in the Smokeys.

While you are over by Frozen Head, consider finding Lily Bluff Overlook in the Obed Wild and Scenic area near Wartburg (right down the road from Frozen Head). the trail is only about 1/2 mile long, but it ends on a boardwalk overlook of the Clear Creek Canyon.

EDIT: Well nevermind on the Lilly Bluff Overlook. I just realized it a National Park too. But it is worth the trip when they reopen.

I garuantee that Lily Bluff is "open"  hell, its not patrolled 99% of the rest of the year, I doubt they'd start now. 

This whole "parks are closed" is bull#### that really iritates me.  Im gonna go there, because americans already paid for it.  It doesnt take admin to have the parks open

Edited by Lumber_Jack

Yeah, if you have calves like burmese pythons....I've not yet been brave enough to conquer that one, but it's on my list. :)

There's water available at the Mart Fields site and at Tub Spring (you need to filter/treat it). Other back country sites are waterless. There's water at the camp site on the Judge Branch Trail, but as it's only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from the trailhead, it's not exactly what most people think of as "back country"

Edited by monkeylizard