1911 Kimber vs Sig

KahrMan

How about 20 yards and then a modified Bill Drill at 7 yards with my TAC OPS.  :tough:

2s67yqd.jpg

The Bill Drill was from the holster, starting with 8+1 in the gun and then a reload from slidelock.

Folks who have seen me shoot this SIG in IDPA can verify its accuracy.

I would say if you go with a Kimber stay with the fullsize there is some variences with Kimber when you look at the catalog and then see whats out on the market,I have a new custom II but mine came with meprolights from the factory but i did pay just a little more for it. I put rosewood grips on it wilson combat barrel bushing and wilson mainspring and magwell and i run 47d mags, I could not be more happier with it but I do have a gun that started out at 900 and now i have almost 1200 in it I know i'll never get that back out of a custom II but it is 1 of a kind so i am happy, but the main thing not one problem ever whatsoever. I really don't know why Kimber gets a bad rap sometimes,Get whatever your gut tells you to go with with the 1911 you can make it like you want the options are endless have fun with it.

Edited by johnk4jmk

+1 on the EMP, I have one in 9mm and love it, this is at 15 yards.

[url=http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/caneyfork/media/emp_15yrds_zps8fce7305.jpg.html]emp_15yrds_zps8fce7305.jpg[/URL]

However, having a couple of Kimbers I've only had good luck with them. I had an Ultra Carry II that ran flawlessly for 500 rounds one day in a tac class.  I have a TLE-RL II Stainless Pro that has the external extractor, I believe they changed to an internal extractor but I've not had any issues with the few hundred rounds I've put through this.

[url=http://s1050.photobucket.com/user/caneyfork/media/d7beebc1-5e6c-45d0-b0fe-be50d3810611_zpsc65a7f40.jpg.html]d7beebc1-5e6c-45d0-b0fe-be50d3810611_zps[/URL]

Edited by red dirt

I think we're all in Violent Agreement here - - - You know what I mean, its when people think they are arguing, but fail to realize they actually Agree.

Kimber = Good.  :up:

SIG = Good.  :up:

The OP can't go wrong with either. 

• Like 2

I had a Kimber Super Carry Pro for a while and enjoyed it, but have never owned or shot a Sig 1911.  Based on the posts thus far, you should be well-served by either make.  The one thing to keep in mind with the Kimbers, if you're looking at their 4" guns (and I can't remember what lengths the TLE II came in) is that their 4" models use solid guide rods and are bushingless, whereas the Sig 4" models, what few they offer, use the traditional two-piece guide rod and bushing design.  The Kimber design uses a captured officer-length spring which will need replacing every 800-1000 rounds or you'll get FTB failures.  Wolff spring sets are cheap and the replacement process is easy, but if this is a consideration, keep it in mind.  I can't say from personal experience whether the traditional guide rod / recoil spring design performs differently.  Because of the different design, the 4" Kimbers' takedown is different, but not difficult enough to be an issue.

SIG uses basically the same external extractor in their 1911 line that they have used in the P series for a few decades now, it's pretty bulletproof. The internal extractor is actually one of the "weak points" in the JMB design, as they require some degree of skill to properly tune. External extractors work fine in 1911s, provided they are designed and made well. Ironically, it was Kimber who soured the 1911 world on external extractors... back a few years ago they put a horrible external extractor in many of their guns, and it didn't work worth a damn. SIG and S&W used a soild, time-tested design (basically the same "see-saw with a spring on one end and a claw on the other" design that 75% or so of auto pistols use), and they seem to run just fine.

I personally own and shoot IDPA with a Kimber external extractor model Stainless Target II. I am nearing 40k+ rounds out of it personally and have never had a FTE out of it. I did have to replace it just a few months ago because it was wore and needed too be changed like all extractors will from time too time, but even being wore down too a nub it still functioned perfectly. I wouldnt hesitate buying a 1911 with the external extractor again.
Guest TankerHC
I have been shooting and owning 1911s for close to 45 years with one break. I own Kimbers and a sig and a lot of other brands. And have shot plenty of the other sig models. When it comes to reliability and accuracy a sig is not comparable to a Kimber. When I bought my first Kimber, guns and ammo did a severe stress test on that particular model. I copied a part of that test. I took the gun directly from the box, and rapid fired over 800 rounds through it dry. 5 different types of ammo. From cheap junk to very good. I didn't have quite the success they did. They had zero malfunctions, I had one FTE with a cheap hollow point. Now I do the same with all my 1911s and can tell you your only going to get that performance long term from a Kimber or something pure custom like an Ed Brown, except for one. The only 1911 I own that exceeded the Kimber believe it or not is my R1 Enhanced. 1500 rounds dry with 2 malfunctions. Every time I hear that someone heard that Kimbers are crap it's always from someone who hasn't owned one who heard it from someone else who hasn't owned one. Never once heard a Kimber owner complain about their gun ( although I'm sure now I'll hear it). Given the two options, for me there would be no debate. It is the Kimber hands down. My next 1911, which I am buying soon, will be another Kimber and will continue to be Kimber until I find a colt that I want or until an Ed Brown comes up for layaway on gunbroker or somewhere. When I get back next week I'll see if I can't find the video shot with my glasses during the out of box test and a different Kimber of mine knocking down steel at 80 yards. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by TankerHC