Best Bang For Your Buck Bolt Action 308

wcsc12

Guest 5Legion

Check out the Howa Ranchland.  I got rid of my Ruger Gunsite after I bought one.  I picked up one with the OD hogue stock and no scope and put a nice Redfield on it.  As accurate out of the box as any Savage, Ruger, or Rem that I've owned. 

Thank you all for the responses. I've looked through them all and I think I've picked out the top two on the list.

SAVAGE 11 TROPHY HUNTER XP with a Nikon Scope for $460

or

Remington 700 ADL with a scope

The TC Venture got dropped because apparently there's a recall in effect on them right now and I'd have to wait months to get one. So these two feel pretty good. I got to hold the Remington today and it felt good in the hand. They both have adjustable triggers out of the box as well.

So which would you choose?

I can buy the Rem as early as this morning for $501.61 out of the door (Damn it to hell that it's at GanderMountain of all places. Would rather Academy but they don't have a scope on theirs but it's $380 before tax).

Alternatively, I can order the Savage and it will be here in about a week or so for a totaling cost of $505 but again at least a cheap Nikon 3-9 scope.

Edited by wcsc12

You can walk into ANY Walmart and buy a Savage. Just ask to see the bound book for inventory or ask them if they have what you are looking for in the back. They have, on average, 10x the amount of guns in the back as on the floor. I have seen Savage "Package" deals for $384 before taxes and background. They have a cheap 3x-9x scope on it and synthetic stock. If you call around to Walmarts I guarantee you will find at least one on sale for $350 or under but it may not be the model or caliber you want. But that is the best part about a Savage, you can buy a used replacement barrel for $50 or new one for $125.

Out of the box a Savage is going to be as accurate, maybe a little more depending on the individual rifle, than most Remingtons with factory ammo. If you reload you can easily get them to shoot better than a factory Remington. Savage has a strong reputation for accuracy and there is a reason for it. I have had factory Savage barrels that would shoot sub .4" groups at 100 yards using handloads.

Remingtons are good if you don't plan on swapping calibers or barrels but with Savages you can do that as well. If you do swap barrels on a Remington it will cost a lot of gunsmith time to do it. Remington take off barrels rarely headspace correctly and to fix that is lathe time and that costs money.

WIth a Savage you can buy a spare bolt head in another caliber for ~$25. And you can swap the barrel at home in no time. New factory barrels can be had for $125-$200 depending on profile and length. So for ~$150 you can have everything to swap to another caliber with a Savage. With most other rifles you are talking about $300+ to do the same and that is if yours stay within the same rim diameter. If you want to change rim diameters add another $150 if you can get one at all with Remington.

Setting headspace on a Savage does not require the use of headspace gauges. It can be done easily without any special tools.

I take my new Savage to a gunsmith the first time I loosen the barrel nut because they are on the TIGHT. They generally charge next to nothing to break the barrel nut loose. After that everything else can be done at home with hand tools. The barrel nut doesn't need to be tightened by some gorilla on steroids either. All it needs is to be snug. I set my headspace, tighten the barrel nut to lock it in place. Then I used to use a hammer and punch to turn the nut to lock it in place. I normally give it one whack and call it good. I have yet to have a barrel come loose. I recently picked up a dedicated wrench and it makes life a little easier with certain barrel nuts.

Aftermarket support for Savage is as good as any other maker now. You can buy quality aftermarket stocks, aftermarket triggers, mounts and even drop in match quality barrels for Savage. The cost for a drop in match barrel for a Savage is less than having a barrel fitted to other brands in most cases.

In the end if changing calibers is not in your future any rifle will work, including a Savage.

Personally I would look on the used gun market for a Savage with a round back receiver. These are newer actions and they tend to be more square from what I have been told by several big name builders. You can generally find a used Savage for around $250-$300. If you are lucky you can find on in the caliber you want. And if you decide you want to upgrade the barrel there are drop in match barrels avalable for under $300. Shilen, McGowen, PacNor, ER Shaw as well as a few others I cannot remember all make drop in barrels for a Savage.

The only downside to owning a Savage, if there is one, is the Remington guys tend to give Savage owners grief.

You can walk into ANY Walmart and buy a Savage. Just ask to see the bound book for inventory or ask them if they have what you are looking for in the back. They have, on average, 10x the amount of guns in the back as on the floor. I have seen Savage "Package" deals for $384 before taxes and background. They have a cheap 3x-9x scope on it and synthetic stock. If you call around to Walmarts I guarantee you will find at least one on sale for $350 or under but it may not be the model or caliber you want. But that is the best part about a Savage, you can buy a used replacement barrel for $50 or new one for $125.

Out of the box a Savage is going to be as accurate, maybe a little more depending on the individual rifle, than most Remingtons with factory ammo. If you reload you can easily get them to shoot better than a factory Remington. Savage has a strong reputation for accuracy and there is a reason for it. I have had factory Savage barrels that would shoot sub .4" groups at 100 yards using handloads.

Remingtons are good if you don't plan on swapping calibers or barrels but with Savages you can do that as well. If you do swap barrels on a Remington it will cost a lot of gunsmith time to do it. Remington take off barrels rarely headspace correctly and to fix that is lathe time and that costs money.

WIth a Savage you can buy a spare bolt head in another caliber for ~$25. And you can swap the barrel at home in no time. New factory barrels can be had for $125-$200 depending on profile and length. So for ~$150 you can have everything to swap to another caliber with a Savage. With most other rifles you are talking about $300+ to do the same and that is if yours stay within the same rim diameter. If you want to change rim diameters add another $150 if you can get one at all with Remington.

Setting headspace on a Savage does not require the use of headspace gauges. It can be done easily without any special tools.

I take my new Savage to a gunsmith the first time I loosen the barrel nut because they are on the TIGHT. They generally charge next to nothing to break the barrel nut loose. After that everything else can be done at home with hand tools. The barrel nut doesn't need to be tightened by some gorilla on steroids either. All it needs is to be snug. I set my headspace, tighten the barrel nut to lock it in place. Then I used to use a hammer and punch to turn the nut to lock it in place. I normally give it one whack and call it good. I have yet to have a barrel come loose. I recently picked up a dedicated wrench and it makes life a little easier with certain barrel nuts.

Aftermarket support for Savage is as good as any other maker now. You can buy quality aftermarket stocks, aftermarket triggers, mounts and even drop in match quality barrels for Savage. The cost for a drop in match barrel for a Savage is less than having a barrel fitted to other brands in most cases.

In the end if changing calibers is not in your future any rifle will work, including a Savage.

Personally I would look on the used gun market for a Savage with a round back receiver. These are newer actions and they tend to be more square from what I have been told by several big name builders. You can generally find a used Savage for around $250-$300. If you are lucky you can find on in the caliber you want. And if you decide you want to upgrade the barrel there are drop in match barrels avalable for under $300. Shilen, McGowen, PacNor, ER Shaw as well as a few others I cannot remember all make drop in barrels for a Savage.

The only downside to owning a Savage, if there is one, is the Remington guys tend to give Savage owners grief.

That was super informative.

I had found the same rifle, Savage Model 11 Trophy Hunter XP at Walmart for $497. I looked at the rest in the cases but didn't really see any that appeal to me.

I don't plan on changing calibers at all. It will be a tried and true 308 now and forever. But good to know that it's easier on a Savage.

Depressing fact of the morning though is that Walmart does carry the Remington 700 ADL's with Scopes as well for $417 but so far 7mm mag, 30-06, 243 Win, and another caliber. If only I wanted a 30-06.

Edited by wcsc12

Are you asking them to check their inventory? Most only check what is in the case but they have tons more.

She checked the back as well at least at the Clinton Walmart. Now I'm calling the Clinton Hwy one to see what they've got. Or better yet, I wonder if Gander Mountain will price match if it's not the exact caliber....

Although its way to heavy to hunt with, I took delivery of my Savage 10TR 308.  For the money its really impossible to beat, I intended to rebarrel it right away in 260.  It shot three five shot groups at 200m less than an inch..... Will probably just buy another for the 260.

5R rifled heavy barrel

Accutrigger

Accustock

threaded barrel

Tactical bolt handle

Detachable box magazine

EGW base

$438 shipped..... This is an amazing deal.  Clean it, stick a scope on it and shoot. Its basically the same thing as a FCP-SR without the paint job, with a better bolt handle for $600+ less.

Savage agreed to fill back orders to all distributors so they came back in stock this week at most of the usual places, of course they sold out about as fast.  Mine came from GrabaGun my friend ordered one from there as well and got a second from Lanbo's armory.  From talking with the wholesalers they will trickle in over the next couple of weeks then they should be gone forever... well unless Savage decides to change their mind again.  For the record my friends both shoot just like mine, about .5 MOA.  At least as accurate as my 700 action with Krieger barrel 308 (for $438... happy and sick at the same time lol).

I am actively looking for a second, if I do then I will save the 308 barrel for you Dolomite.