how do you guy do it?

Guest FNEG

so my wife after many years of trying to get her to warm up to shooting and guns finally says to me you need to get ammo for my gun ( a walter p22 i picked up for her to shoot) and take me and the boys shooting. So after 3 days of hitting walmart, acadamey, dicks, bass pro and gun shops that I am near I got 200 rounds. All of them came from the gun shops that had a limit 1 box a customer. so my question is what is the trick for finding .22lr. and tips or leads will be great...

I did check armslist but refuse to pay the 55 buck for a 20 dollar box of ammo. I am thinking of putting 200 rounds of .45 on armslist for trade for .22lr but i don't think it will do well since .45 is pretty prentiful from what i saw shopping around.

I buy every bit of my ammo online ... Not worth my time/gas to dive around to possibly buy a box or two... Just my opinion

Slickguns.com / gunbot.net

Follow these sites and stay on top of them... You have to be very quick when something comes in stock.... I have accounts at most online retailers so I can login quick and checkout before it's gone

Just yesterday I bought 2 bricks of federal for $57 Shipped.....

Good luck! Edited by mcordell

FNEG, the real answer is some of us have been around long enough to have started preparing back in 94. Many more woke up after the shortage in 08. That was when I really kicked it into high gear. I began reloading and buying as much ammo as I could. I went from eating out everyday during lunch to brown bagging it every day. All that savings went into purchasing components or ammo.

I did get a bit caught off guard by the 22 thing. I'd slowed down on shooting 22 and let me stock get a little low. The short term end result for me is that I shut 22 shooting down completely. Not optimal but I decided to preserve what I had. My head is on a swivel every time I am in the fun store. I will replenish up to what I need to get through most anything.

I'm not preaching even a little bit here. I have friends that got caught out in 08 and they didn't stock up for this event. Now I am shooting and they are not

Have fun with the wife and kiddos, Mark

• Like 2

What is 22 rich so I can see where I stand.lol

Im at around 6-7k rounds or in a filthy gougers hands I have around $900 worth lmao. I haven't paid over $30 a brick yet.

Bit by bit. Piece by piece. Little here little there. If i'm in a store and they have it for reasonable prices, I'll buy my limit and then go. No sense in coming back the next day to buy again cause it'll be gone.

Now I have close to 2500 rounds of .22. More than I'll probably ever need but if i buy any more it is for family and friends who can't catch a break on finding ammo.

Guest Phantom6

Trick is that what used to be called crazy hoarding is now seen as prudent foresight.

- OS

BINGO!!! Just prior the this nation loosing it's collective mind in November of '08 I started telling my customers to buy and save ammo. Fortunately the shortages never really got down to .22 LR. A little over a year and a half ago I was telling my customers to learn to reload and buy reloading componants. Now it's a coin toss as to which is going to be available when I call my distributors, .22LR or small pistol primers, of which I have a fair amount of. Primers, that is. I still sell CCI MiniMags in 100 round boxes for $8.75 when I can get 'em which is spotty but they are coming. I firmly believe that there is a special place in hell for the proffiteers out there that are charging $25 a box for the same thing when the price from the distributors has not increased. That's kind of like when Cheaper Than Dirt (Dirtbags!) was selling 20 rnd. PMags for $60+ a shot when they were paying no more than what I pay or them which is $8.56 ea. Some said I was crazy not to take advantage of the market fluctuation but I prefer to sleep at night. This, IMHO should not be treated like internationally traded commodities such as gold, silver, wheat or oil.  

I've been piling up ammo for 10 years or more. My wife thought I was nuts, but we had th extra cash, and I didn't see ammo getting any cheaper. For once, I was right! Wal Mart was selling 550 Federal boxes of 22lr for $7.97 when I started. We quit buying them when they passed $9.97.

I'm no smarter than anyone else, but did benefit from good timing.

I will tell you that I still don't see ammo getting any cheaper long term. Same goes for food and other staples.

The strength of the American dollar is far behind us I'm sad to say.

Guest Farmun

Trick is: to be at the right place at the right time.  I've picked up 2500+ rounds in the last 2 months at either WalMart or Dicks Sporting Goods.  Call it luck or whatever, but being patient is what it takes to keep your ammo funds in tact.