Need help with son and pistol

Guest windhamdw

I don’t know what your budget is, but you might want to take a look at the S&W 617 revolver. It’s a full size K-frame stainless revolver, but since it’s a round butt you can put some pretty small grips on it if need be. It would last him a lifetime and he could pass it down to his kids. It’s one of the highest quality, most accurate, and most sought after 22’s on the market.

SW617003web.jpg

• Like 1
I guess I'm different. If I had a kid, I'd look at getting him into something they could not only shoot but learn to cast and load for.

First thing that comes to mind would be a nice clean S&W hand ejector in .32 S&W long. If its in good serviceable shape, they are every bit as accurate as a .22. In fact the .32 has a looooong track record for serious accuracy.
Reason this pistol comes to mind, I load this cartridge with a 100g plain base boolit cat from air cooled wheel weights, sized .311, lubed with my own homemade lube, in Hirtenburger cases over about 1.5g of Bullseye. I load this for a close friend of mine and his 7 year old boy shoots it and LOVES it. Recoil is very low and noise is equally low. Performance within its proper range is more than adequate for small game or cans or paper. If it came down to it, it would defend a life too.

One package can give a very dynamic skill set if you put a little thought in it. Edited by Caster

Do you reload?

My boys started shooting 38 special and even 44 Magnum target loads at about age 5. They love it. My little one is 10, and two years ago he was cutting bullet holes at 10 yards with a model 52 Smith and Wesson.

Still, you could always use him as an excuse to buy a quality 22 target revolver like a model 17 Smith and Wesson,  or semi such as a Browning Challenger or a Colt Woodsman.

Edited by gregintenn

I say it would be a cryin' shame not to have a Ruger Mk I, II or III or a Single Six in your inventory.  One is a great auto (the best IMO) and the other is an awesome single action revolver! There is no pot metal in either.  They are all steel.   I have a Mk II Target with a bull barrel and it's very accurate and runs like a champ! You will NEVER wear either one out. The pistol my son loves shooting the most, though is my Colt .22 Peacemaker.  He love shooting the single actions.

Should you decide on the single action and aren't able to afford a Ruger Single Six, then look at the Heritage Rough Rider.  They can be had for less than 2 bills and usually come with a .22 LR and a .22 mag cylinder.  The fit and finish is not up to par with the Ruger Single Six, but they are still a good value!

Edited by Moped
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest windhamdw
I finally got him one, I ended up with the Ruger sr22, it just fit his hand to good and he could chamber the round with no problems.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks