NFA processing has been suspended

Somehow with the fact that they even answered, I am wondering if there isn't a "policy" of telling people they are shut down. I am waiting in two form 4's so I hope it isn't true, but the way things are now, it wouldn't surprise me if they are still working, but want the public to think they aren't. Edited by Hozzie
Guest 6.8 AR
If they cash the checks they should be there to do the work. It
shouldn't be whether or not they are essential. Isn't the tax
what funds the program? Like SSI? :D

I called to check the status of a pending Form 1 and was told they would not tell me because of the shutdown. I then asked if the processing itself was suspended as well and they said yes.

So for those of you, like me, with NFA stuff pending our wait times just went up exponentially.

I'll bet that gave the Big Eared Wonder a throb in his pants.

Unfortunately the 200 dollar tax goes straight into the general fund and then the budget for the NFA branch is allocated to them.  In reality the NFA branch should be ran on funds from the tax, response times would be much faster.  Instead there are only around 10 examiners doing every ones paperwork. 

Interesting fyi for folks who didn't already know, when DOJ suggested fingerprinting for trusts the document also included cost analysis for the NFA branch and how long it takes examiners to finish a stamp once they start working on it.  I believe it was around 15 minutes of work per application for the examiners. 

There was also an article recently that said the NFA branch brings in approximately a million dollars a month in revenue and has been doing so since 2011.   There really needs to be a law tying the number of employees at the NFA branch to the revenue it generates.  

My best friend works at the VA, (no, he's not the stereotypical federal employee), and he tells me what goes on there. I don't see how this shutdown will effect anything since they work at a snail's pace anyways. They just have so-called justification to do so now.

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR
I was being sarcastic. Everything goes into the general fund. Not
supposed to.

The causes of the Revolutionary War pale in comparison to what
this country is facing right now. Amazing how bored and hum drum
people are now.

Interesting how gun control just passed because the government
temporarily shut down.

I called to check the status of a pending Form 1 and was told they would not tell me because of the shutdown. I then asked if the processing itself was suspended as well and they said yes.

So for those of you, like me, with NFA stuff pending our wait times just went up exponentially.

Yep, I got the same news. I think this is my final stamp-if I ever get it! It seems stupid to keep feeding the monster.

I called the Local ATF office in Brentwood and I was surprised someone answered the phone. He was very nice and wanted to answer all of my questions. I asked if he was getting a paycheck and he said no, but it's against the law for him to not show up to work. I guess some kind of legislation to prevent a strike, but he didn't go into details.

I have a form 4 pending too.

• 3 weeks later...
Just set up a trust about a fortnight ago and submitted my first ever form for an SBR I purchased. So, being the optimist...the wait is really going to suck but maybe for every other NFA item i subsequently buy I can happily say "we'll it didn't suck as much as the wait on the first one"...of course, my fiancée is happy to remind me I've been wrong before..... :-)