How has or will the government shutdown affected you

I know at least one person who is not be receiving child support because of the shutdown. But hey, kids can go hungry for a while, right?

I'm really trying here, but I just can't accept that it is the government's fault if someone's child goes hungry. If my kids don't eat, how on earth could I justify blaming someone else? It's my responsibility.

And I'll add to that, anyone who is claiming they can't feed their kids is full of sh** if they have anything of value, such as smart phones, iPods, iPads, computers, flat screens, jewelry, etc. I'd sell off my wedding ring before my kids would starve.
  • Like 3

I'm sorry guys, I must have misread the title of the thread.  i thought it was asking how the .gov shutdown has affected you (or in this case, someone you personally know), not "Hey, let's mock the shutdown and anyone who doesn't follow suit."  I really need to clean my glasses.

Since when is child support a federal thing rather than a state thing?

Child support is a state thing.  However, it used to be that an irresponsible dirtbag could move to another state to avoid paying it.  Nowadays there is a system in place where State A notifies the feds, the feds the notify State B, State B collects the $, which then is transferred back to State A.  However, with the fed side shut down the transfer is not happening.

And no, in the case I'm thinking of the kids of this person won't go hungry.  I'll see to that personally if it becomes necessary. Not everyone is in the same position though.

I'm sorry guys, I must have misread the title of the thread. i thought it was asking how the .gov shutdown has affected you (or in this case, someone you personally know), not "Hey, let's mock the shutdown and anyone who doesn't follow suit." I really need to clean my glasses.

The response had nothing to do with how it is affecting you, it had to do with the suggestive statement that people would celebrate another person's kid starving, as if somehow supporting the shutdown means you hate kids and want them to starve. The reaction to what you suggested is warranted.

The response had nothing to do with how it is affecting you, it had to do with the suggestive statement that people would celebrate another person's kid starving, as if somehow supporting the shutdown means you hate kids and want them to starve. The reaction to what you suggested is warranted.

Ah.  My point wasn't that people should feel guilty about it or would celebrate it.  My point was that not everyone being affected is The Man (aka an employee of the Federal govt) or leeches on the teat.

Ah. My point wasn't that people should feel guilty about it or would celebrate it. My point was that not everyone being affected is The Man (aka an employee of the Federal govt) or leeches on the teat.

Of course not. There are plenty of people on this thread and on this site, along with perhaps millions of other Americans, who are feeling the pain or will likely feel the pain soon. Ain't at all about the leeches. In fact, the leeches are the likely the only ones who will come out of this thing unscathed. This situation sucks all around, but I'm not convinced the alternative would be better. The ACA is going to be far more destructive in the long run. This fight needs to be made. Our voices weren't heard when they passed this steaming mess years ago, so let it be heard now.

Child support is a state thing.  However, it used to be that an irresponsible dirtbag could move to another state to avoid paying it.  Nowadays there is a system in place where State A notifies the feds, the feds the notify State B, State B collects the $, which then is transferred back to State A.  However, with the fed side shut down the transfer is not happening.

And no, in the case I'm thinking of the kids of this person won't go hungry.  I'll see to that personally if it becomes necessary. Not everyone is in the same position though.

Well, that system apparently doesn't work when the feds ARE supposed to be working, because my daughter can't seem to get anyone to collect from her dirtbag ex who lives in Missouri, currently.

Well, that system apparently doesn't work when the feds ARE supposed to be working, because my daughter can't seem to get anyone to collect from her dirtbag ex who lives in Missouri, currently.

My understanding of it (which is peripheral mind you, so don't quote me in front of a judge) is that State A and State B have to have an agreement in place (not all states do), and the respective Dept. of Human Services or Dept. of Childrens Services (whichever one is applicable, some states do it differently) coordinate the whole thing.  They then arrange to do things like directly dock pay and coordinate with the IRS to redirect tax refunds to cover back child support.  If the dirtbag isn't working, or is working off the books, there isn't much you can do.

And your acting on the behalf of the mis-directed parents is your choice, and an admirable one. But if you wish to rely on the

government to collect something on someone's behalf and that take care of the problem, we have a long discussion ahead.

Sounds like a better result would be to drive to the place where the other parent resides and beat the crap out of him, with the

warning that if they don't, they will receive more of the same. Relying on the government gets the consequences you mentioned,

intended or otherwise.

OK, now I am upset.  I have directly(indirectly) been affected.

A business trip my wife was going to take next week to Nashville was just cancelled. 

The only time I get to go to Nashville is when she goes.  Now Outpost armory is also effected as I was going to spend some of my hard earned cash down there as we..

Not to mention the business' on broadway that won't be selling me 6 dollar beers (still thing they are very over priced down there but I go for the music).

May have been mentioned before and may not be news to anyone but the King is a hypocrite. I also think he said something about it being "unpatriotic" to raise the debt ceiling. So this is tied to the battle of the gov-shutdown and thought maybe some of you could pass this along to your left-leaning friends.  :D

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure.  It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills.  It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government's reckless fiscal policies.  Increasing America's debt weakens us domestically and internationally.  Leadership means that, 'the buck stops here.'  Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren.  America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.  Americans deserve better." ~ Senator Barack H. Obama, March 2006

Yea, we definitely could have done better, maybe in 2016?  :usa: 

I keep thinking of how the 3 branches of government are suppose to work.  Check and Balance system.  Seems government is working as it should in a strange way.  One part of the house disagrees and refuses to just roll over for the other.

I don't know about how many impeachable offenses this President can handle, probably a lot more, but Sarah

Palin added one more. Not doing his job according to the Constitution. It's his responsibility to not over spend.

She is right.

You don't just keep on going back to Congress to raise the debt ceiling, especially when you know, at the rate

the government is spending, you'll be out of money soon. This bill of goods we keep on putting up with is only

allowed because very few in Congress have the balls to stop it, because the President doesn't want to, which

is a direct violation of his duties. He isn't the first one to do it, but he is the one with the most spending in the

least amount of time. And the trend is quickening.

I don't know about how many impeachable offenses this President can handle, probably a lot more, but Sarah

Palin added one more. Not doing his job according to the Constitution. It's his responsibility to not over spend.

She is right.

You don't just keep on going back to Congress to raise the debt ceiling, especially when you know, at the rate

the government is spending, you'll be out of money soon. This bill of goods we keep on putting up with is only

allowed because very few in Congress have the balls to stop it, because the President doesn't want to, which

is a direct violation of his duties. He isn't the first one to do it, but he is the one with the most spending in the

least amount of time. And the trend is quickening.

The Impeachment process is a fart in the wind.

It's depressing to see the republicans not standing together. Everyone just wants to get along no matter how deep they dig the hole. Only a few have the balls to put-up a fight and are slandered when they do.

There are just too many that need to be replaced on both sides, otherwise we will get the same of crap sandwich every time.

I sure hope a difference is made in 2014 and 2016, otherwise after 8 yrs of obama we may not be able to.

They all want to get along because they know they have allowed their share of the spending and bad policy.

They know that when things go south, they will need any friend they can find. Might as well spend a few billion

to make your little politically correct ass feel safe, until the food runs out.

A new political party is in order.