P238

Guest CCPT

I had the pleasure of trying a friend's Sig P238 today. I was more than impressed to say the least. I have shot micro .380s before, but I had no idea that the Sig was so smooth. I know it's probably no surprise to most on here, but I just wanted to share my experience. I think I found the perfect gun for my "wife." I can't get over how well that thing handled.

I had never shot one until yesterday. The range I was at had just put one in their rentals. I was suprised at how much I liked it. They had a 238 in Dark Earth that I thought about bringing home with me. I'm still thinking about going back and getting it.

EDIT:

They had Extreme on the tag but after some research I'm guessing it was a Scorpion.

Edited by jimmydeuce
I've had the Rosewood model for a few years and love it. Stays in my front pocket except at work. (Can't carry at work). It doesn't like Silver Bear ammo though, it just will not feed. Still have over 900 rds of it that I'm not sure what to do with yet. My 238 just doesn't like it.

I've had the Rosewood model for a few years and love it. Stays in my front pocket except at work. (Can't carry at work). It doesn't like Silver Bear ammo though, it just will not feed. Still have over 900 rds of it that I'm not sure what to do with yet. My 238 just doesn't like it.

I'm sure you would be able to sell it pretty easily...lots of LCPs and P3ATs out there...

I'm a SIG 238 fan myself... I have one of the more humble ones (...nitrolon, walnut grips...) that stays in a D M Bullard pocket holster from putting my pants on to takin them off... They are the best of the "pocket pistols"...  It is more compact (...width wise...) than my beloved j frame smith 36 and some of its j frame brethren layin around the house...  It shoots my hot handloads like a dream and is deadly accurate... It's everything a pocket pistol should be... I highly recommend them to anyone who feels the need to carry a pocket pistol...

leroy

I'm a SIG 238 fan myself... I have one of the more humble ones (...nitrolon, walnut grips...) that stays in a D M Bullard pocket holster from putting my pants on to takin them off... They are the best of the "pocket pistols"...  It is more compact (...width wise...) than my beloved j frame smith 36 and some of its j frame brethren layin around the house...  It shoots my hot handloads like a dream and is deadly accurate... It's everything a pocket pistol should be... I highly recommend them to anyone who feels the need to carry a pocket pistol...

leroy

You carry it hammer down or cocked and locked? Actually, it's not drop/impact safe with hammer down is it, just like a 1911?

How do the rest of y'all carry them? I'm quite happy with my PM9, but admit I've found this pistola attractive, but doubt I'll ever bump down to .380.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You carry it hammer down or cocked and locked? Actually, it's not drop/impact safe with hammer down is it, just like a 1911?

How do the rest of y'all carry them? I'm quite happy with my PM9, but admit I've found this pistola attractive, but doubt I'll ever bump down to .380.

- OS

It is a *very* light pistol, so I think it would take more than a "short drop" to set it off hammer down.  It would have to fall many feet ... more than 10 I think?

I carried it cocked, that is the design.  The hammer is very small to bring into action quickly.  Empty and rack to cock is possible, but still much slower than cocked and requires both hands and shorts you a round in a low cap gun.

They make almost the same pistol in 9mm if the caliber bothers you.  In 9, the recoil is noticable but not punishing.  The 380 is very gentle.

Edited by Jonnin

...You carry it hammer down or cocked and locked? Actually, it's not drop/impact safe with hammer down is it, just like a 1911?  ...

I carry mine "cocked and locked"... Sig did a good job with the safety on this little pistol.. Mine is firm with a good detent when the safety is applied and let off... Ya need to work a bit with your thumb to knock the safety off... My pocket holster covers the safety; so it has to be drawn to be knocked off...Ive been carryin it for the last two years plus; and the safety has never been disengaged unless i disengaged it...

RE:  The PM 9; i dont think ya could do better...  I been lookin for one myself (...at the "right price"; of course....) so i could gift either my 238 or the PM to my 24 year old for pocket carry...

leroy

Edited by leroy

It is a *very* light pistol, so I think it would take more than a "short drop" to set it off hammer down.  It would have to fall many feet ... more than 10 I think?....They make almost the same pistol in 9mm if the caliber bothers you.

Yeah, was thinking the P938 actually.

Well, like any 1911 though, actually getting it to a hammer down position on a live round is about the most dangerous thing you can do with one in a way. And I imagine that trying to cock the small thing with one hand in a hurry couldn't be nearly as quick as simply thumbing the safety off. For some reason it just seems "scarier" to have a cocked and locked pistol in the pocket than on your waist ... admittedly probably purely a psychological response on my part.

I'm sure the general 1911 mantra applies though, either carry a 1911 cocked and locked or carry a different type gun. :)

RE:  The PM 9; i dont think ya could do better...  I been lookin for one myself (...at the "right price"; of course....) so i could gift either my 238 or the PM to my 24 year old for pocket carry...

Yep, it's a great little pistola, started carrying it daily about three years ago or more. I feel more "comforted" with the extra capacity of my XD 9 subbie in IWB, but started going to the Y two or three days a week back then and needed to be a bit more discreet in the ole locker room, and I'm a creature of habit with my daily accoutrements, so just began toting it all the time.

Carries really nicely in my normal cargo shorts/pants pocket with this Stellar Rigs thang that has also been its home for the duration, and not bad even on the infrequent times when I have to wear dressier ones.

Kahr-Stellar.jpg

The SIG P938 just looks so kewl, but I'm probably just looking for an excuse to buy another gun, it's been about 6 months or so. :) :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

OS:  RE: cocking the 238...  I'm one of them "unsafe" old time guys who wuz used to cocking a 1911 from the "hammer down" or on half-cock on draw ALA the old single action army days... This style of gettin ready to shoot with your ole 1911 is now out of favor due to our "newer, safer, better, more erudite mindset"; and is looked down upon by the 1911 police... I have been chastised and thrashed as a heretic, a nincompoop, and a generally undesirable son of perdition because of doin this sort of thing by the "1911 cooper method enforcers" and disciples and apparatchiks of the great Clint Smith right here on this forum; but im all better now... I'm kinda like the late Robert Byrd who wuz once in the KKK; but was rehabilitated for doin and sayin the right things....

With that background in mind; i originally wuz worried (...like you...) about carryin my little pocket pistol "cocked and locked"; so i tried to cock the 238 on draw; but my thumb is too big and the rowel hammer on the 238 is too small... I never could master the "cock on draw" thing with the 238; so i had to go to the "cocked and locked" thing... To make matters worse; im also a lefty and my little pistola has a right handed safety... That has caused me to learn to shoot "wrong handed"... I guess ever little dark cloud has some sort of a silver lining..

That's why your PM9 is such a great solution to the pocket carry thing... No "wrong hand"; no need to knock the safety off or to "cock on draw"... Just reach and get it, and (...God forbid...) go to work if need be...

leroy

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1
Wife carries the 238 Sport and loves it. She carries cocked and locked but with a waistband holster.(She's too small for pocket carry.) One thing about the 238 compared to other 1911 style guns. The trigger pull is substantially heavier. Not in an obnoxious way, just more pressure before it breaks. That gives me additional peace of mind. If for some reason the safety were to come off, you would still need +7 lbs of pressure to get it to discharge.

I had read that in a review, but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere in SIG's docs, so didn't mention it as fact.

- OS

It does not seem to have a block.  I just pulled my 938 out and checked it.  I can drop the hammer onto the firing pin and NOTHING sits between them.  Now, there may be some sort of internal device, but there is nothing between the hammer and the back of the firing pin on the 938.   If there were something hidden, you would THINK sig would mention it somewhere.

They do seem to have a half-cocked postion that would serve the purpose.

edit again --- half cocked, it *could* be possible to draw and cock with a great deal of practice.  Its still not a lot to get ahold of and tricky, but that little extra edge may be sufficient to manage it.   Also, it seems that by design you can engage the thumb safety in half-cocked position. 

Edited by Jonnin
Guest Wesley33

My wife carries the P238 daily and when she is not out I will usually "borrow" it from her to carry when out and about in town. We always carry cocked and locked and I also believe that with it would be difficult to thumb down the hammer while drawing. The hammer is not big enough for my hands to engage it with any speed and consistency especially when you throw in nerves, high heart rate, etc...that would come into play if you were actually in a self defense situation. I have done a couple of "stress shoots" to get in the habit of accurately engaging a target under those conditions. Only having to engage the safety off is the most amount of steps I would want to take before acquiring a target.

On another note, I absolutely love that little gun. I plan on purchasing the P938 soon to be my carry pistol. This will make my wife happy since I won't be asking to borrow hers anymore.