Good self defense training around the Chattanooga area?

I have taken several classes from Randy Harris (CruelHandLuke).  They are great classes, and Randy is extremely knowledgeable and a great teacher. If things get back to normal next year, I plan to take several more.  I am a decent shot (although nowhere near what I used to be since I don't get to the range much), and I have learned to properly use my firearm to defend myself if need be.  I am also a firm believer in the Stupid Rule, don't do stupid things, don't go to stupid places, and don't hang out with stupid people.  I am in reasonably good shape from going to the gym 5-7 days a week, sometimes twice a day.  However, where I am severely lacking in my training is non-firearms related hand to hand self defense. 

The absolute last thing I ever want to do is pull my handgun, and there could arise a situation where I am forced to defend myself and those I love with non-lethal force.  I would like the confidence of knowing that I am capable of doing that very thing.  Any recommendations?  Thanks.

Can't help you with anything specific to the Chattanooga area, but here are my thoughts.

I studied Isshinryu for several years. It was firmly oriented toward self-defense rather than competition. I suppose that would depend on the instructor. We also had a Jiu-Jitsu instructor in our class so we regularly cross trained in that discipline. If I had to pick ONE of those for self-defense, I'd go with JJ.

That was years ago, and I'm very rusty and have been wanting to get back into something else. I've heard many good things about Krav Maga. When I get financially stable enough, I'm going study that.

MMA seems to be all the rage right now. From what little I know, it should work very well for street defense also.

Will

Chattanooga Jiu Jitsu Academy. For pure self defense it's the best in town. Today we had a 3 hour seminar with Rorion Gracie, the inventor of the UFC. Mickey is a fantastic guy, and an even better instructor. He will let you try the program out for 10 days no charge. Let me know if you have any questions.

ETA:

Unless you specifically want to fight MMA, stay away from MMA schools. MMA is a sport, they train their guys to compete and win fights against opponents in the same weight class. That is all. If someone running an MMA gym tells you it is "street applicable" they are either trying to get your money, or woefully misguided. 

Edited by ShamGlock
  • Like 1

yea basically there are 3 types of training.   Exercise, competition, and actual self defense.  The first 2 seem to make up about 85% or more of the places.  So you need to do a little research to find which school is oriented toward self defense.  I remember the first place I went in colllege, the instructor told my I could not DO something as it was against the RULES and I stopped going to that place :)

My only other comment is to study a form that incorporates weapons (knives & sticks, mostly) so you can improvise better if caught without a gun.  These also teach unarmed, of course, but that should always be your last resort.

I have not been anywhere in so long that I can't comment on the best places anymore.

Hey Mav...I actually teach a hand to hand class also....It is NOT sport based and it is not a traditional martial art that takes years to get anything useful from. What I do combines striking, grappling, ground work and in fight weapons access. It is a mix of WWII combatives, wrestling, BJJ, that works in a weapons based environment. The only "problem" is that due to the nature of it you often have a hard time finding people to practice with....

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

A friend took some sort of weekly martial arts training for some years starting in his middle age. One evening he was visiting his mom at that patton old folks facility downtown. He was in the lobby and a low-life came in begging spare change. Then when no spare change was delivered the fella pulled a knife. My friend kicked the fella in the chest sending him sprawling, then the low-life got up and ran away. That was purt good performance for a middle aged, paunchy balding Certified Public Bean Counter! :)

A friend took some sort of weekly martial arts training for some years starting in his middle age. One evening he was visiting his mom at that patton old folks facility downtown. He was in the lobby and a low-life came in begging spare change. Then when no spare change was delivered the fella pulled a knife. My friend kicked the fella in the chest sending him sprawling, then the low-life got up and ran away. That was purt good performance for a middle aged, paunchy balding Certified Public Bean Counter! :)

They would have needed to call Service Master to clean up the mess I would have made with my self-defense method. :popcorn:

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

My father took weido (i guess that's how you pronounce it) as a youngster and advanced pretty high up. One day he was at a shoneys in Nashville with some buddies. This dude came in that had it out for one of the buddies. Words were exchanges between the man and dads buddy. The man pulled a knife on my dads buddy. Dad round housed him right in the chin and the dude went down like a sack of potatoes.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Guest Lester Weevils

They would have needed to call Service Master to clean up the mess I would have made with my self-defense method. :popcorn:

That would about be my only option in such a situation as well, unless the knife-wielding bum would have instantly turned tail and ran upon display of the weapon.

It is easy to see the elegance in having a wider spectrum of options available, accompanying some skill in martial arts. The friend's simple kicking of the fella's butt seemed much more elegant for that particular situation.

My friend actually enjoyed the once or twice weekly training and he was in purt good shape for an old fat guy. Additionally in his ill-apent youth he was a tush hog, and actually enjoyed getting into the "training fights", where as I understand it, one could get knocked around fairly well for it just being "play fighting".

I have a bad back, don't enjoy even fake conflict, and get winded easily so its not for me. I can do heavy work all day in "low gear", pacing the toting of heavy things slow enough not to ever get winded, but if I ever get winded from too much fast exertion, I'm useless and half-sick the rest of the day. Maybe some kind of weak heart, though it is strong enough to dig ditches, concrete work, carpentry, hike all day, as long as I take care never to get winded.

Edited by Lester Weevils

You can't really make any assumptions at all.  There are skinny nerdy guys that are fast and strong,  old guys that can move better than you would believe, fat guys that used to be jocks, and so on.  You have to go into any confrontation assuming the other guy is stronger, faster, and better than you are --- then plan accordingly.  If you were wrong in your assumption, that is a good thing.  If you were right, hopefully your plan works.

• Like 1