HD Power Over Ethernet Surveillance Setup

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going POE is a waste unless your using more than 8 cameras alongside of an existing network Ever focus DVR's work well, I've used many of them. It's more cost effective to pull rg59 Siamese cable and use analog cameras to make your system cost effective. Right now 700 line domes w IR illumination for night use are under 150.00 each, one can get into a 4 or 8 channel DVR for under 500.00 . Avoid SAMs and Costco junk if your semi serious about video surveillance. If you have money to burn you can go w full blown system using Poe and megapixel cameras but at the end of the day it's all about what you want to see and image quality. Video over twisted pair is ok but still requires tweaking and money spent to produce a good end product. If anyone needs help w this run it past me we deal w this everyday. Also check out unix CCTV and eastern CCTV online to get an idea of what's available. Lotsa stuff out there Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
100 yards indoors or out? You might save a little on cable but may end up with loss in signal quality and other issues in the long tun over time w cat 5 You can run power and video through cat 5 I just wouldn't use the std POE setup everyone is pushing today. You can run analog video and power 750 feet w no loss without having to use an amplifier or switches and hubs on coax. Can save some money Also using cat 5 without switches and hubs and overpriced power supplies in the std Poe configuration is possible W Poe u have to add switches poe power supplies likely use a hybrid dvr and terminate each end w an rj 45 connection very time consuming if you want hit me off list w how many cams u want to run ,specify indoor or outdoor and I can flip vendor info and pricing back using cat 5 and coax for you if that'll help! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
Guest Lester Weevils
The advantage of poe to me would be that I'd want to watch the cams from the phone, pad or puter rather than a security system dedicated monitor.

A few under-eave pan tilt zoom internet cams would be a hoot.

Old dad has cheap wireless cams that the receiver connects with composite cable to a LCD tv monitor. His farthest cam on the other end of the house is purt noisy with herringbone patterns, but his receiver is located in an rf swamp of his radio room with ham gear, puters, wireless router, wireless headphones and wireless phones. Its kinda amazing the wireless video works at all in all that interference. And even the wireless cams need power.

Wireless internet cams, I got a cheap one to play with but haven't got round to it yet. Still gotta run power to each cam location.

Was at wally world yesterday and they are selling cute little linksys and netgear wifi repeaters. Little boxes that supposedly you just plug into a wall outlet like a nite lite, then push the connect button on the range extender and the wifi router and you are in biz. Maybe that works, or not.

If it do happen to work, than a couple of wifi repeaters might get good enough coverage for a good spread of wireless internet cams outside the house or in the front and back yards? At least as long as the power is up. Edited by Lester Weevils
Most DVR's have a network card,so those that do can hit the net. Wireless stuff works. Usually you can run 4 channels w minimal interference, over a short distance. Wireless isn't the most secure method to use,again more money for encryption transmitters and receivers. Wifi can be ok but now you're hogging bandwidth and if you're storing to a Ddns or outside server more crap to deal with. Hard wire is and has been the optimal method as there's minimal issues. I've used transmitters and receivers worth megabucks and we still have the same problems as one would have using low quality gear.fear radio not copper. I've got gear that's been running for almost 10 years w no issues. Analog cams on rg59 Siamese coax running to DVR's w net cards piped to Ddns servers for offsite access. Simple cheap and still working. Super circuits has some basic tutorials as well as dept of justice. In the end u have to know what u need to see, how you're going to see it, what quality of image u want, how it will be stored, retrieved , and presented and viewed when needed. 2 things not to skimp on are cams and DVR, also use a ups so a lightning shot won't kill the system, and make sure you're stuff is properly grounded or you'll be chasing gremlins and replacing stuff which could have been prevented ...there's the video time tip for the day Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster

Was at wally world yesterday and they are selling cute little linksys and netgear wifi repeaters. Little boxes that supposedly you just plug into a wall outlet like a nite lite, then push the connect button on the range extender and the wifi router and you are in biz. Maybe that works, or not.

If it do happen to work, than a couple of wifi repeaters might get good enough coverage for a good spread of wireless internet cams outside the house or in the front and back yards? At least as long as the power is up.

I use a homemade repeater bridge with my Foscam wireless IP camera and my home wireless network.  The camera will be mounted above the garage door, and the repeater bridge is inside the garage.  If you don't have a spare DDWRT router lying around, a $40 repeater from Wal-mart would be attractive.  I'll warn you that, if you're on Hughes satellite internet, a Foscam IP camera can't be seen from the internet.  D-Link has figured it out, but not Foscam.

looks like lots of people are thinking cams. I've been doing a little research and like others would like to view over my phone. I'm only wanting 2 cameras, at least for now. Problem is one camera is about 300 ft. from the house, and the second one is about 1200'. The farthest one away I'd like to point at the entrance to my driveway which is an additional 1300' ft. away, but I do have a clear view from the camera location.

My concern has been would I actually be able to see anything 1300 ft away? And, what's the best hookup. I've already got buried conduit. Would have to run one overhead for about 400ft. I could use either cat5 or coax, there is no power at either camera location.

suggestions or links?

thanks

looks like lots of people are thinking cams. I've been doing a little research and like others would like to view over my phone. I'm only wanting 2 cameras, at least for now. Problem is one camera is about 300 ft. from the house, and the second one is about 1200'. The farthest one away I'd like to point at the entrance to my driveway which is an additional 1300' ft. away, but I do have a clear view from the camera location.

My concern has been would I actually be able to see anything 1300 ft away? And, what's the best hookup. I've already got buried conduit. Would have to run one overhead for about 400ft. I could use either cat5 or coax, there is no power at either camera location.

suggestions or links?

thanks

I wonder if you could use solar and a battery bank for power at the remote locations. I suspect the cameras do not use a lot of energy.

I know Mikegideon helped another member setup a battery operated camera to see targets at 1,000 yards. That would be farther than what you are needing. They use a 12v car battery to power it so I suspect solar would work fine.

Here is the thread about the target camera:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

Using a different camera would not be a problem. And you could probably use the same transmitter and receiver.

I wonder if you could use solar and a battery bank for power at the remote locations. I suspect the cameras do not use a lot of energy.

I know Mikegideon helped another member setup a battery operated camera to see targets at 1,000 yards. That would be farther than what you are needing. They use a 12v car battery to power it so I suspect solar would work fine.

Here is the thread about the target camera:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

Using a different camera would not be a problem. And you could probably use the same transmitter and receiver.

I wondered about solar. Just haven't checked into it yet. Some of the outdoor cameras have internal heaters apparently so I'm guessing they may use more current than a standard old camera.

Guest Lester Weevils

I use a homemade repeater bridge with my Foscam wireless IP camera and my home wireless network.  The camera will be mounted above the garage door, and the repeater bridge is inside the garage.  If you don't have a spare DDWRT router lying around, a $40 repeater from Wal-mart would be attractive.  I'll warn you that, if you're on Hughes satellite internet, a Foscam IP camera can't be seen from the internet.  D-Link has figured it out, but not Foscam.

That's neat that you made yer own.

I'm capable of running cable, but just don't like doing it. It is too untidy doing it the "easy way" with cable stapled along baseboards and going thru walls with rubber plugs, and way too aggravating fishing wire thru walls. Some years ago we rewired the upper house replacing the old non-grounded paper-insulated flex armor cable with romex, just cut out a 1 foot horizontal slice out of all the plaster walls, did the wiring, then patched the mess with sheetrock and spackle. If I'd been smart woulda run cat5 from everywhere to everywhere while we had the walls opened up.

Rewired the downstairs apartment last year, hired an electrician to do that one. He did a fabulous job, but it was hard to find an electrician who would believe us that we really wanted the major surgery done. I guess they didn't believe we had the money, or that we would chicken out when given the work estimate. Told the guy I realized it was impossible to estimate such a nasty job, just knock as many holes as he needs in the walls to make it easy to fish wire, and pay him parts plus hours labor that it would take. He was real good and got the work done surprisingly fast, leaving an amazing number of small 3 to 5 inch hammer holes in the walls to patch. :) But I was smart enough to get him to run cat5 from everywhere to everywhere in the basement apartment anyway.

Would love to have one or more pan tilt zoom ip cams a few hundred feet out in the woods, but it is either fly wire out there (nasty and untidy) or dig a trench out there and bury the wire (the right way to do it but way too much work unless I could afford to pay somebody else to do it). Running power or cat-5 to the house eaves would be easier, but there are lots of things that sound like more fun than climbing extension ladders up a two-story house to fish wire and mount cameras.

I don't much care about recording the cams or viewing the cams remotely away from home on the internet. Would just like to snoop the outside locations day or night from a puter, phone, or pad, when I get curious whats happening out there. Just local network live video.

If you go wireless w a single cam you'll prob be fine. If your in a rural area you'd prob get by w a inexpensive transmitter as long as there's minimal stuff between the transmitter and rcvr
The cameras don't require much power but the transmitters do. You'll need to config a battery to go w the panels if the camera has infra red for night use more power consumption to figure in. You may find some 500 milliwatt or 1 watt transmitters on e bay or the net that will surely work.
As far as the electrician goes I'd wrap his truck in cat 5 and tell him to look in the box for the cable cutters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • 1 month later...

Ive got 3 wireless cams in my house.  1 is Foscam and the others are Belkin.  I can remote view all 3 on my iphone or ipad or any computer with internet.  All 3 are motion detection activated and all 3 email me stills when activated.  The foscam is also pan/tiltable via internet.  All 3 are IR and also wireless on my wifi network, but are plugged into power power outlets.  Belkins were around 100 each and the foscam was like 90.  Nothing else to buy.  Im happy with my setup.

Edited by barewoolf

I'm using a Uniden Guardian wireless system from Sams on my home.   My only complaint is I would like to be able to adjust the sensitivity of the motion detection.

Tree limbs will trip the recorder on the most sensitive setting.  My hounds don't give as many false alarms. :rofl:

Edited by tnhawk