243 wssm ammo.....anyone??!

So apparently 243 wssm is the new unobtanium. Im fixing to have to sell my friggin rifle and buy a more common caliber to hunt with cause i can NOT find any ammo in stock anywhere. When i do its outrageous! Around $2.50 per round. Ive been on midways notification list for all 243 wssm ammo they sell since early this summer, they arent getting any either. I would of never bought this rifle if i knew this was how it was gonna be (bought it 7 yrs ago)

Any of you other guys shooting this round and have a line on ammo please pm me. Or if you see any in stock at regular ($40) price let me know asap please! Sheesh
Oh man! I feel for ya Dude. Sadly, I remember about 4 years ago I had a friend who worked the sporting goods counter at WalMart. They clearanced out a bunch of less popular grain weights of some calibers for $5/box. He called me and I was there ASAP! I got 7 boxes of Remington 180gr 44 Mags... the rest was rifle stuff I didn't have any guns for... the biggest pile: 243 WSSM, the Winchester black box fancy stuff... for $5/box. Sorry Man. :-(

I'll keep an eye out at my regular Academy and Wally stops.

... the biggest pile: 243 WSSM, the Winchester black box fancy stuff... for $5/box. Sorry Man. :-(

I....hate you so bad....

Lol jk man. Yeah its a big time bummer. Its looking like i may just buy another rifle, its only gonna get worse, and im not gonna go through this every time i wanna shoot the thing.

I have kept most all of the brass ive ever shot out of it (around 80) but....i dont reload. I dont have the first thing to reload any of it.

this is all labeled as in-stock. Its EXPENSIVE though.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/Search/Default.aspx?k=243+wssm+ammunition&ksubmit=y
also it would seem you could cut up a 300 something to make brass.
Or if you have any brass, consider reloading it?

Actually...it shows in stock, but when you go and put 243 wssm in the filter, none of it is in stock anymore lol. Thanks though
  • Admin Team

I....hate you so bad....

Lol jk man. Yeah its a big time bummer. Its looking like i may just buy another rifle, its only gonna get worse, and im not gonna go through this every time i wanna shoot the thing.

I have kept most all of the brass ive ever shot out of it (around 80) but....i dont reload. I dont have the first thing to reload any of it.

At $2.50/round, I'd bet you could get everything you need to roll your own and be ahead by the time you got to your 80th piece of brass.

I....hate you so bad....

Tell you what, you are in my town... you buy the dies and bullets and I would be happy to refill em for you. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Backstrap
Hello folks, I just signed up and curious if "nitroexpress" still has that 243wssm brass for sale? I'am also in that category of gun owners with an obsolete weapon. I do have a rcbs reloader and also have the dye set for the 243 wssm, all I need now is the brass. Can anyone help me find some?

if you have the dies you should be able to make brass out of something close if you cannot find any of the correct brass.   Its a pain, though, takes me about 15 min per case (for a different cartridge).  If you need to drill out / thin down the necks after, make it 30 min per case, mine worked without that step. 

Guest Backstrap
Thanks for that advice Jonnin, I did'nt know you could do that. I'am new to this reloading game, and don't know come here from sick'em, but I'am getting ready to take some reloading classes before I do anything. I found some 243wssm brass but still would like to have more if anyone knows of any. I appreciate everyone helping me, thanks Backstrap
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shoot and reload 243 wssm.  I have had no problems finding brass.  And bullets are available by the drove.  How much do you shoot during a years time?   If you have 80 cases thats 4 boxes. I would be happy to let you reload them on my dies....takes about 2 hours after the cases have been cleaned...  I havent done the math...but depending on what type of bullets you want....probably your cost including primers/and powder and bullets would be around 50-60.00 for realoading all 4 boxes.  and you would enough powder and primers left to reload a couple more boxes when you have more brass available.... If you go with premium bullets the price will go up but only by 3-4.00 per box. I would not invest in reloading equipment unless you plan on reloading a bunch....doesnt equate the expense reloading a few boxes a year.  Hope this helps.  What model gun are you shooting?  Mine is model 70 winchester and makes a fine coyote/deer rifle. 

[quote name="Classic WBY" post="1096981" timestamp="1390013257"]I shoot and reload 243 wssm. I have had no problems finding brass. And bullets are available by the drove. How much do you shoot during a years time? If you have 80 cases thats 4 boxes. I would be happy to let you reload them on my dies....takes about 2 hours after the cases have been cleaned... I havent done the math...but depending on what type of bullets you want....probably your cost including primers/and powder and bullets would be around 50-60.00 for realoading all 4 boxes. and you would enough powder and primers left to reload a couple more boxes when you have more brass available.... If you go with premium bullets the price will go up but only by 3-4.00 per box. I would not invest in reloading equipment unless you plan on reloading a bunch....doesnt equate the expense reloading a few boxes a year. Hope this helps. What model gun are you shooting? Mine is model 70 winchester and makes a fine coyote/deer rifle. [/quote] Same here, winchester model 70. Your right in the aspect that i dont shoot the gun nearly enough to justify buying a reloading setup. Its my hunting gun, so it only gets shot a few times a year if that.
  • 1 year later...
Being as this is a bolt action, you can get a collet neck sizer die set from Lee for less than $40
A Lee hand press for less than $50
Source a QUALITY digital scale, a pair of cheap calipers and some components (powder, primers & bullets) and you can fit it all in a .50 cal ammo can. For less than what you'll spend on three or four boxes, you'll be up and running. Those 80 pcs will probably last you for about 10 or 12 loads if you stay off max loads.
  • 2 months later...