backdoor.rustock virus (trojan)

rugerla1

I would love to get my hands around the neck of just one of these pieces of %+@! that make their life's purpose to eff with other people!!!
Wife's laptop started acting up while I was using it (of course), so I ran a scan. This name ^^^ held up the scan process so I Googled it. Seems its a Trojan, and Norton for some reason doesn't catch it. Anyone got stung by this crap? I have my sister coming tomorrow to try to get it off the computer, hopefully without losing anything, if she can.
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Get a Mac , quit paying for anti anything software !

The money is up front , but no annual fees for annual software.

Macs can still get viruses. Its just harder for them to.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

I would love to get my hands around the neck of just one of these pieces of %+@! that make their life's purpose to eff with other people!!!
Wife's laptop started acting up while I was using it (of course), so I ran a scan. This name ^^^ held up the scan process so I Googled it. Seems its a Trojan, and Norton for some reason doesn't catch it. Anyone got stung by this crap? I have my sister coming tomorrow to try to get it off the computer, hopefully without losing anything, if she can.

You need to get something other than Norton. It's the worst antivirus software on the market, just about as close to nothing as possible.

I'd recommend ESET NOD32
  • Like 3

I'd recommend downloading Malware Bytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/ to clean up your PC. You may need to download it from a different PC and put it on a thumbdrive to transfer it over to the infected PC.

For Antivirus, I use Microsoft's free Security Essentials. I've seen reports that it is not the absolute best antivirus, but I've been quite happy with it. You can't argue with the price. Plus, it is not bloated with all the crap that comes with Norton. It's just an Antivirus and does not use a ton of system resources.

Another trick of mine is to use virtual machines. I have a Win7 Vm running on my desktop. I've configured it so that the virtual hard drive is non-persistent. In other words, when the VM is powered down, any changes that were made to the VM while it was powered up are forgotten. It goes back to exactly the way the VM was when I powered it on. That way, if I get a virus, just rebooting the VM cleans it all up. Once a month I set the disks to persistent and install patches, then set the disk back to non-persistent. I use VMware's free VM Player application to run my VM's. You can even download free, and already installed and configured VM's in O/S' like Linux. Just download and run the VM. If it gets crapped up, delete it and download a fresh copy.

• Like 3

Another really great trick I use is to edit my Hosts file. Google "No-ad Host File" and you'll get plenty of sample files and instructions.

The idea behind it is this: When you enter a website into your browser, the browser has to convert the easy to remember name into an IP address. It usually uses a DNS server to do that lookup. But, before it checks in with the DNS server, it looks in a file on your PC called "hosts". In that file you can add webites and their IP addresses. If your PC finds the site and IP in the file it stops looking and uses that one, and never asks the DNS server. You can use this to your advantage by putting a bogus IP address for malicious websites. So when you (unwittingly) click a link that may take you to a bad web site, your computer goes nowhere.

Get a replacement host file and it will have tons of malicious sites already plugged in for you.

Guest Bassman17SC

Macs suck and are for liberal computer illiterates.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Mr. Crossville, you just may want to think a little bit before throwing around insults to the members here (including me) who are reading this thread - on a Mac.

1. This computer most certainly does not suck.  The two other non-Mac computers I've owned most certainly did suck, which is why I bought a Mac in the first place.

2. I am most certainly not a liberal.

3. I am most certainly not computer illiterate.

Lol norton has not been worth a hoot since peter left or died or whatever happened to him.  He was good --- the monkeys that run it since then, not so good. 

I use kapersky which I got free thru my ISP.   Its pretty good, but like most, its a hog.  MOST antivirus that actually works uses more CPU and memory etc than the actual viruses. 

Macs are better than they were.  Ever since they converted their OS to quasi-unix, they have been a lot more open to the user and 1000x improved.  Still can't run some games and windows software and cost 15%+ more for nearly every component but they are decent machines. 

Edited by Jonnin

The only computer I've ever set up for someone that I would consider infection-proof is a laptop with no hard drive, maxed out RAM booting from a Linux Live DVD.  They wanted something absolutely clean for online banking.

That said, you are significantly less likely to get infected running any of the more commercial *nix based systems, whether it's a Mac running OS X, a tablet running Android or iOS, or a Chromebook.  Windows is the most widely used OS out there and therefore it is the biggest target of the malware writers.  If everyone dumped Windows and switched to Macs next week, the malware would follow, but that's not happening anytime soon.

In my house right now you'll find 3 versions of Windows, iOS, Android and Linux.  Each has their advantages and disadvantages and everything is a tradeoff..  There are things I can only do with Windows, but I've never had to disinfect any of the others.

Guest Keal G Seo

Norton used to be horrible, worst version was '07. But when they revamped in '08 it was a total turn around. Ever since they have gotten better. I too get the entire security suite from Comcast. It is a bit paranoid but doesn't do anything without my consent with exceptions to quarantining suspected files during a scan and pausing the web browser if I navigate to a website known to leave visitors infected. Doesn't eat up many resources at all...and I am on an old machine, 2 Ghz processor and 4 Gb in ram. The hate comes from how bad they had gotten for a long time. Truth on protection is that all paid and free antivirus is about the same, that might not be true on the bloatware side but not an issue for Norton anymore. All antivirus' will stop or fix 95% of threats if used properly but all get unlucky sometimes. Because there are new viruses coming out every day there is absolutely no way they can keep up with all of them.

You took a hit, that sucks. Don't connect it to the internet again to both protect any personal info on it and to try to keep it from wiping. Save what you need to a thumb drive, reformat and then scan it with something else before you open it.

Just got a phone call from a "private number" talking about some virus. Said he was from Microsoft. Wanted me to take his instructions on how to check for it. Gladly thanked him and hung up.
I've got Windows Defender that came on the PC and it came up empty with a scan.

I use the Free Microsoft Security Essentials and I've never had a problem with a virus since. It also doesn't bog down the computer like other antivirus software did.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Try it. :up:

I'll second the above! I paid the big bucks for Norton and had a bunch of cooties collect on my computer. I developed a bunch of problems the quick scan never picked up. Had my computer man check it out and he installed MSE and for the last year, less filling tastes great!

It stands to reason a company that makes anti-virus for its OS wants the best protection possible. The way things are today, it wouldn't surprise me if the people writing and developing anti-virus programs by day, go home frustrated and hack away at night.

Norton ... There's your first problem

You want the best for a fee?  F-Secure is rocking the VB100 tests at the moment, it used to be ESET/NOD32, but F-Secure has really stepped up their game in the proactive detection area.

Free stuff I don't really depend on, Microsoft has some good programs but they are usually best when used in conjunction with other software or in a controlled environment.

I've been using Avast for a little over a year. Been much better than Norton was. Norton seemed to take over the machine

and slow it way down. First I heard of that ESET/NOD32. I'll have to check that out, thanks.

I've been using Avast for a little over a year. Been much better than Norton was. Norton seemed to take over the machine
and slow it way down. First I heard of that ESET/NOD32. I'll have to check that out, thanks.

Leo Laporte has recommended it for years. I'm no computer geek but I like his radio show and he wouldn't pimp it unless it was good.

A router and the free AVG version has worked fine for me for many years now.

I go way back with Norton, best thing they ever did was the Norton Utilities for DOS days and early Windows version. Their anti-virus stuff was always an unacceptable hit to the system, and had so many hard to get rid of fingers into the operating system it trashed as many puters as it saved. Gave up on it sometime during first version of Windows 98, and never tried it again.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Lester Weevils

If ya get unlucky and innocently click the wrong place that happens to have been just hacked by a newish malware, yer gonna get infected no matter how careful you are.

A virtual machine or "disposable laptop" that you don't mind wiping and re-installing, which contains NO security sensitive information on the system, dedicated to recreational web surfing, does seem the safest alternative.

I've used several antivirus programs. I don't like McAfee or Norton, though many moons ago they were decent enough products. The MS Security Essentials ain't too bad really. Currently using Kaspersky included from EPB fiber account, seems to work OK. For many years I used AVG small business site license because it was only about $100 for three years, wheras Norton was about $100 per machine per year.

I have the puters set up to do full scans nightly, and consider myself fairly careful and paranoid about security, and run browser "near crippled" with most of the convenience features disabled. In spite of that, about a year ago I got a massive infection that almost required a wipe and reinstall on my main programming machine. I suspect I picked it up clicking on theulstermanreport.com when that site had been hacked. I don't know if that site ever got hacked, but I got the infection a few minutes after hitting that web page, and within a few days my personal web page got hacked, and I had to take down the web page and disinfect it and put it all back up. My theory is when the PC got infected, in short order they downloaded my filezilla settings file and got the access info for my web page. Later I discovered that filezilla doesn't encrypt passwords saved to file, and even if filezilla DID encrypt passwords, it wouldn't help because if you get silently hacked they will just get your password next time you sign onto the site with a FTP program.

So I set filezilla to never save passwords, and changed to using SFTP, and removed ALL fancy features from my website. Just dumb basic html, and all file permissions locked down as best I can figure out on the web site. Which has avoided re-infection of the web site so far. And I don't surf the web on work computers any more. Don't surf the web on computers that have quicken or turbotax files on them, or online banking or whatever. Do the financial stuff on a puter that is rarely connected to the interwebz. Do online orders on a secured puter, but ONLY online orders. Find out what you wanna buy on the disposable computer, then sign on from a secured computer just long enough to make your order, then sign off again. But even those precautions are not 100 percent secure.

Edited by Lester Weevils