Building a 300 Blackout?

This is a great review of considerations for the 300 Blackout

Can some of you guys also do a summary for 6.5 Grendell (or is 6.8 Spc a better choice....?) and .458 SOCOM? 

(At least I have my build narrowed down to 4 calibers now.....204 Ruger, 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendell. and.458 SOCOMM  with .50 Beowolf also in the back of my mind)

This is a great review of considerations for the 300 Blackout

Can some of you guys also do a summary for 6.5 Grendell (or is 6.8 Spc a better choice....?) and .458 SOCOM? 

(At least I have my build narrowed down to 4 calibers now.....204 Ruger, 300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendell. and.458 SOCOMM  with .50 Beowolf also in the back of my mind)

6.8AR can tell you everything you wanna know about the SPC. I've shot one of his rifles.

The Grendel is a long range caliber. IMO, you're wasting it if you don't go all out.

The .458 is a beast, but fairly short range (150ish). Expensive to shoot, and in my opinion, prohibitive if you don't reload. It got me started with reloading. Will put a hog on his ass.

.204 Ruger is a varmint cal. Fast, flat, and light. I'm guessing it's hard on barrels.

The .300 Blackout, again IMO, is the best alternate caliber for the AR. Relatively cheap compared to the others.

6.8AR can tell you everything you wanna know about the SPC. I've shot one of his rifles.

The Grendel is a long range caliber. IMO, you're wasting it if you don't go all out.

The .458 is a beast, but fairly short range (150ish). Expensive to shoot, and in my opinion, prohibitive if you don't reload. It got me started with reloading. Will put a hog on his ass.

.204 Ruger is a varmint cal. Fast, flat, and light. I'm guessing it's hard on barrels.

The .300 Blackout, again IMO, is the best alternate caliber for the AR. Relatively cheap compared to the others.

Thanks,

very familiar with .204 Ruger, this would be my third in that caliber (not hard on bbls., BTW, and good to longer ranges for varmints <I shoot crow & groundhogs to ~550 yds with mine>). However, I am thinking a different platform for my next .204

As related to the TGO lower, definitely interested in mods required for .458 (and 6.8 if any ??), milling of ejection port, mods to mags, etc.

I do reload all my center-fires,  hence the interest in .458; any excuse will do.  Regardless of caliber, it will be all-out as best as I can, and I am patient.

.300 Blk does intrigue me.

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed before and I'll admit I didn't do a search because I just got home from work and I'm feeling lazy. What benefit, if any, is there to the .300 BLK versus the 5.56mm besides bullet weight? I have a couple of 16" ARs in 5.56 and I'm considering a .300 BLK with my TGO parts.

Dolomite, thanks, saved me a phone call.

The rest that put in your 0.02 thanks as well.

You are more than welcome to call anytime, goes for anyone else here that has questions or just wants to shoot the bull for a bit. I am not shy about giving my number out to anyone who asks for it.

Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed before and I'll admit I didn't do a search because I just got home from work and I'm feeling lazy. What benefit, if any, is there to the .300 BLK versus the 5.56mm besides bullet weight? I have a couple of 16" ARs in 5.56 and I'm considering a .300 BLK with my TGO parts.

The biggest advantage the 300 Blackout has over the 223 is the ability to shoot a subsonic bullet through a suppressor. Also, a bigger hole tends to bleed more. And honestly there are probably 100 more types of 308 bullets than there are 223 bullets giving you a wider selection.

I sent both of you my number, give me a call sometime.

I have had several people here, maybe they will chime in, that have HIGH END guns and when they used Lee dies that I recommended the ammo would not chamber. And when they went to RCBS and Hornady dies the issue went away. These are not me but someone else. I do have a Whisper chambered gun and Lee loads will not chamber but RCBS loads will.

Daniel Defense is one of the ones I have seen have issues with Lee dies and fixed with other brands of dies.

I, for a long time, was singing praises of the 300 Blackout Lee dies but now that I have personally seen several guns have issues I am starting to change my mind. On another board there are a lot of people who are experiencing the same thing. At any rate if you have a 300 Blackout gun that doesn't want to chamber your rounds made with Lee dies look at the dies before you look at the gun.

Before I had a suppressor I loaded supersonic 147gr with lee dies and never had an issue. Here lately since I've went to 208 amax I've been having chamber issues. I don't know it it's related to the bullet or if it's a a die problem. I would lean toward operator error but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I posted last year, or maybe earlier this year, that the 300BO was my end of times caliber. The biggest reason is I can cast for it and I can push them as hard as the 300BO is capable of pushing it. I cannot do the same with a 22 caliber bullet loaded into a 223 AR. I can powder coat and shoot them in a AR but without electricity it will make powder coating difficult.

And a cast bullet performs as well as most jacketed bullets in the velocities of the 300BO.

The Grendel and the 6.8 are different as night and day. Bolt, barrel and mag change for the 6.8. Got to agree

with Mike on the BO possibly being the best for the platform. I'm just not geared up for throwing out all that many

pieces of ammo. I'll stick with the 6.8 for damage and mid range. The Grendel is too expensive for me to consider.

Besides, why did I buy that M1A, if not for distance?

My Blackout will be for the fun of it. I like to build things. :D

Does anybody have any thoughts on the Rainier Arms 300 BO polygonal barrels that AIM Surplus just listed on their website? I'm thinking about a 300 BO build for my TGO lower and upper receiver and saw these barrels listed today.

I have a Rainier 8.5" traditional rifling and have been very pleased with it.  It seems to be a quality barrel at a decent price.  I can't comment on the polygonal model, but I'm satisfied with my purchase.  It's a 1:8 and stabilizes my 225gr reloads just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I went with a 7 twist CMMG barrel with pistol length gas and an adjustable gas block. So far I have fed it 220gr subs and 125, 150 and 155gr supers and it has digested all of it just fine. For me it was the only way to go because I wanted to be able to shoot whatever ammo I felt like shooting without having cycling issues. 

As far as the Lee dies go, Most of the ammo I have run through it so far has been made with LEE dies and without any issues but I have also seen where others have had problems on other boards. I do have a set of RCBS dies and the .311" expander ball for cast bullets as Dolomite mentioned earlier and after experiencing the great customer service at RCBS I will likely use their products from here on out.