best way to sharpen s30v??

S30v is very wear resistant, so be patient.

I use wet dry sandpaper, wrapped around a round dowel to hit the recurve. Once I'm out of that, the rest is business as usual. I don't keep it "hair popping sharp" but with a few moments work I can keep a slicing sharp edge on it that's satisfactory for the use I put the knife through.

I've heard the paper wheels do a good job on it as well, but I don't have a set.

Just take your time, work up your grit, and try to never let it get truly dull.

PS: I don't keep a perfect pristine finish on my knives, this method has worn some of the dlc off. I don't mind, it's no different than me using it. But be warned.

On all of my recurved blades, no matter what steel I use my Spyderco Sharpmaker it sharpens S30V with no problems at all

Yeah, I've only sharped one S30V on mine, but it did fine. I generally don't even use the ceramic one on Sharpmaker, just go from the stone rods to a leather strop thingie with the paste on it.

I'm not patient enough no matter what I use to sharpen my various smaller knives, have several different stones and whatnot, I generally just get them to where they push cut printer paper and call it good.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

When in doubt on sharpening steel; always use diamond... It always works... I've gotten to where i sharpen everything with DMT bench stones...  They are well worth the money...  The other stuff works well too; but ive grown pretty fond of the old time way with the bench stones... For a recurve, there is a great DMT tool that looks like a big half cone...

I've also discovered diamond paste on hardwood (...or smooth leather...) will finish off an edge quickly...

leroy

Mike,

I have been meaning to,

http://www.edgeproinc.com/cart.php?m=product_list&pageNumber=1&catID=&c=5&v=&r=&id=&sortBy=sort_order&search=&shopByPrice=&viewAll=undefined&customListIds=&venID=

BTW, I bought some Japanese Shapton Glass stones in 2000, 4000, and 8000 grit to try to eliminate those polish tapes. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet. This is a great place for feeding your Edgepro...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

When in doubt on sharpening steel; always use diamond... It always works... I've gotten to where i sharpen everything with DMT bench stones...  They are well worth the money...  The other stuff works well too; but ive grown pretty fond of the old time way with the bench stones... For a recurve, there is a great DMT tool that looks like a big half cone...

I've also discovered diamond paste on hardwood (...or smooth leather...) will finish off an edge quickly...

leroy

yep diamond is the way to go. I have some eze laps and can get a razor edge on most of them. My microtechs are very  scarey sharp.

• 1 month later...

bumping this one up, I asked my wife to get me a sharpmaker for christmas, mainly so I can use it to sharpen my zt0350. I got to looking though, the stones that come with it are triangular, so do they hit the recurve good enough in the zt's? Seems like round stones of some kind would be the best for recurve?

bumping this one up, I asked my wife to get me a sharpmaker for christmas, mainly so I can use it to sharpen my zt0350. I got to looking though, the stones that come with it are triangular, so do they hit the recurve good enough in the zt's? Seems like round stones of some kind would be the best for recurve?

It's a Willis question. He uses a Sharpmaker for his recurves, The Sharpmaker lets you rotate the stones so you can use the flats or the corners. I know the corners will work

The best way to use a Sharpmaker on a Recurve is to keep the part of the blade in contact with the stone perpendicular to the stone at all times. You will need to lift and then lower, then lift once again the handle of the knife when you reach the curved section. It's not difficult. You just need to be precise.
For extra precision, use the corners of the stones. Once you have the motion down properly, you can use the flats just as easily.
The Sharpmaker is the cheapest way that I have found to sharpen recurve blades properly, I have had for several years now an
Edge Pro Apex I will be using it on my recurved blades once I get the 1/2 stones I have ordered for it, the Edge Pro will put on a Mirror polished razor sharp edge that looks incredible