New Ruger SR-762

JohnC

I read the article on the 762,fwiw Got my sig 716 gen 2 way before the whore der fest,paid 1680.00 out of state on a group buy,retail was 2200.00 plus, all n all its a great bigger bore piston rifle, it came w 1 mag. sig labeled magpul stock and grip,troy quadrail and iron sights,sling,stupid cleaning kit,in a cardboard box no carry case. the ruger comes w round non quad grip w 3 mags so theres a 40 dollar difference to start plus but cheaper forward grip.the ruger has a new design muzzle break,basic ar stock and basic hand guards.

i did a hard comparison of the sr 556 and sig 516 last year, real tough choice when you lay em both down.I wanted a 556 but settled on a 516.The piston systems are both nice and comparable,they're both thought out well for breakdown and accessibility,gas selectors are comparable w the sig being more complicated,the new ruger has 4 adjustments which is nice, both were in the 1500-1600 range but you don't see many for sale used.so much for buyers remorse,so shopping out and buying new was the only faster method to get one( either sig or ruger) when the sr 1911 came out retail was 799.00 w guys now claiming to get new for 600 and 650.00 

If ruger puts the 762 out at 2200.00 the usual shops will keep it at that,or more,i can see it going for 1700 1800 average within a year after the first run sells.I also see a lot less bitching about the SR556 than any other piston gun besides the rec 7. If the SR762 is as reliable as the sr556 itll be a keeper.

All in all it will prob be a great ruger rifle but like all other big bore AR's the ammo aint gonna be cheap! The other dark side is if the gas system is like sig's, the same one lwrc sued sig over....ill stay tuned on this, if the rifle is reliable w minimal to zero issues itll be well worth 1600 to 2K IMHO....fairly priced at 1750.00

Edited by Dustbuster

Got my sig 716 gen 2 way before the whore der fest,paid 1680.00 out of state on a group buy,retail was 2200.00 plus, all n all its a great bigger bore piston rifle, it came w 1 mag. sig labeled magpul stock and grip,troy quadrail and iron sights,sling,stupid cleaning kit,in a cardboard box no carry case.

I got mine during the peak of the craze. The LGS had just put it on the shelf like a couple minutes before I got there ( was near closing time). I was the last to leave because the background checks were taking like 2hrs they were so backed up. I was in a line of guys waiting. It was after their closing hours before my background cleared. I got there just in time and also before he started raising his prices. Wasn't long after that until he was price gouging like the rest of them. $1999 was still below the MSRP on Sig's site at the time because I recall it being $2,100-ish.

The ODG Sig's don't have the stock with Sig Sauer on them. It's the same Magpul branded stock and Magpul MIAD grip you'd get if you ordered a Magpul. My cleaning kit came in a like a nice army green colored nylon pouch. It also came with 1 Magpul 20rd Pmag. No carry case and I don't think Troy makes this rail, but have nothing to back that up except that all the Troy rails I've seen are of better fit and finish than what comes on the Sig 716. If you look close at the top center where the rail meets the receiver, it does not line up perfectly (a little lower than receiver) and every 716 I've picked up has the rail in the same place - not lined up height wise to the receiver.

Sig_716_Scop_grip_pod-.jpg

Rail fitment:

aga3aja6.jpg

qedu8ygy.jpg

5ahavyna.jpg

I took that rail off and tried to see if I could align it properly, but it goes right back together the same once you TQ it down.

MIAD grip:

a5uqysuj.jpg

u2eqasu7.jpg

Stock:

ny5ehymy.jpg

Anyway, the Ruger SR556 is nice. I recently did some work on my dads to make it more suited to what he's going to do with it, which is more or less a range rifle. Might get the Atlas bipod in the place of this Fab Defense grip-pod since it doesn't have a cant lock. Also plan a Surefire SOCOM brake and suppressor for it later. But here it is so far.

Box stock:

y7ana5er.jpg

Part of the teardown:

nuhyna6e.jpg

Before the scope & strapped in the case to see if it fit with new rifle stock:

agy6enyp.jpg

Done!

7eve9e2y.jpg

If I were to get a SR-762. I'd probably set it up like I did this one above. Edited by JohnC
  • Like 1
Very nice, you're right on the rail,not a pedigree Troy could be a Samson for all we know, looks like u put a prs stock on was thinking the same . I put a millet trs scope on mine. Works good for me. I'd love to try the ruger guess ill have to wait unless I have a stupid attack on front of a. Can't say no deal! I did use an original older metal grip pod for a tripod will post pics next time I dig it out Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster