New Ruger SR-762

JohnC

It must be good ammo according to the description on Palmetto's site, " ... Hunting with PPU ammunition becomes magic, an enchantment, an adventure for memory, tranquility and success for prestige" ... ha, ha who wrote that?

Sounds like Walt Whitman run through BabelFish a couple of times. :)

- OS

• Like 1

syju8u6e.jpg
Not worth a #### if the bolt hold open don't hold the bolt behind the case when loading or reloading.

I don't get it.

Are you saying it doesn't lock back on last round? Or when successfully locked back, there's not physically enough space for the round to go up in front of and into bolt face to chamber, in other words can only be loaded from a closed bolt?

If the second, that would be an engineering fail of rather spectacular proportions seems?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I talked to Ruger this morning, very nice folks. I sent a few pictures talked with him a bit then came out to the cave. I disassembled the stock, buffer, blah, blah. Did some checking and rechecking. The aftermarket stock tube is not the correct one for the rifle. It's was like a lot of thing in life, short. The bolt wound indeed lock back and cycle making the gun operable but wouldn't cycle to catch the bolt face after last round. In the shop the BHO was catching on the bolt carrier instead of the bolt face (shame on me). This all came to light yesterday evening while doing a little distance test. This is at 160 yards propped off my 4 wheeler rack. I need to stop buying ammo and invest in a good vise. But when stuff gets deep your not gonna go running for your vise I don't guess. All in all, the gun was an error on my part for not double checking. Posted Image

Glad the issue was found. It's nice to know the Ruger staff remains courteous and helpful.

A really good resource when buffer tubes, buffers and springs are the topic is Clint of HeavyBuffers.com. Even if one hasn't bought anything from him he will do his best to figure the issue out.

The gentleman I spoke with was helpful. But when I asked if the mags that came with the rifle were Gen3 (not knowing myself due to never seeing any 762 NATO mags), he said yes. After receiving the Gen3's I had on order it was apparent that they aren't. He may not have understood what I was asking . I bought a box of Hornady Match, 168 grain HPBT and put a few down range yesterday. 4 shot group (the two holes with sticks in them are from my .22 lr), 100 yards, wind not a factor, prone using a forward grip with pop out bipod. Again not world class shooting but I was happy with it. I still need to put more down range with added distance. But with today's weather and me getting a new ACL tomorrow that's gonna have to wait. e6ega4u2.jpg

Edited by Earl33
  • Like 1

Hey world class or not, I see REAL world application and that fine weapon you have there will make an excellent DMR. She's a beaut ma friend.

Thanks. I was reading a thread the other day about barrel length vs caliber on this rifle. It was a back and forth about the effect barrel length has on long range shooting and the added weight of a 7.62 carbine for practical use compared to a small frame AR. I think you hit the nail on its head. The SR762 would makes for a nice DMR. I'm ready to see how well I pair with it at 400-500 yards.
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted Image
Posted Image
A Great Thanksgiving Day. I am thankful for god family and friends. And very thankful that all three made today possible. I took the opportunity to sit in the stand with this young man and watch him shoot an AR for the first, well two times. Y'all may be thinking, look at the smile on that kids face. Well you should had seen the smile on mine. We needed this hunt on film. He was given the choice of 5.56 or the 7.62. He was adamant about the .308.
  • Like 2