TGO Lowers - Santa Claus is coming!

MacGyver

Hi, so I'm fairly new around here... Where can I go for details about ordering one? Edit:nevermind, my phone wasn't showing the other threads for some reason! Edited by t.bird

Well, my order for botha lower and upper have been in since monday( been saving for a while). I wonder, what color options do we get? "any color as long as it is black, black or black".  Like a model T-ford, only custom.

I guess if someone wanted to they could custom paint their own, but i think that would be a waste of a perfectly good billet masterpieces.

It's kind of expected in something like this. 

Part of the reason may be that we chose a top shelf billet upper, too.

If I told you guys how many, "I could buy 4 New Frontier Armory Polymer lowers for the cost of one of these" PMs I've gotten over the last month, you wouldn't believe it. 

I know the shutdown has affected a few folks, too.

And, you're the perfect guy to take those PM's. :) They would have seen my Irish DNA in my response. I'm not good with the public  :rofl:

• Like 2

I know this blacksmith guy that can make branding irons... :)

That said, I much prefer the CMT lower! Placed my order a couple of days ago. Really glad y'all went with CMT, I spent several years of my childhood right outside Lexington. Cool to have a lower made so close to "home". 

That's it! Forged iron lowers. Those things will never wear out :)

I decided to go with D&T arms( both G&L and D&T are the same distance to me) so either. Having family in the area( family originally from Goodlettsville), helps when i need to pick mine up. Maybe kill two birds with one stone, do some christmas shopping while I'm up that way.

Guest Lester Weevils

Just leave mine chrome looking, will really add nifty bling to my pistol. :)

- OS

I emailed and asked CMT about that (well, a natural anodize rather than black). They replied promptly and explained that they occasionally do runs of custom color anodizing, and they notify their mailing list of those runs, but don't apparently do it as a standard custom option, ferinstance a color option for the TGO lowers.

I know less about metallurgy than most, but do know that anodizing adds a great deal of toughness to an aluminum finish, but 7075 is pretty tough as aluminum alloy goes, Almost as good as some steels. Dunno how wear-resistant a non-anodized 7075 lower and upper would be, or if it would be unusually subject to wear-spalling. Does anyone know?

It is doubtful that there is a tough clear-coat that would put up with the temperature extremes of a lower/upper. If I knew I could get at least moderate wear out of a raw 7075 set, would most likely ask em not to anodize mine. Surely that wouldn't be too much trouble or expense for them.

OTOH, surely there are anodizers in TN who could put a clear anodize on a raw aluminum lower and upper for a price, but am too lazy to do the research.

If I could get the thang clear anodized, would hang a stainless barrel on it and a stainless bcg if somebody makes such a beast, and have a super-bling AR. It would match my Inox Beretta 92's. I'm real fond of stainless look.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I emailed and asked CMT about that (well, a natural anodize rather than black). They replied promptly and explained that they occasionally do runs of custom color anodizing, and they notify their mailing list of those runs, but don't apparently do it as a standard custom option, ferinstance a color option for the TGO lowers.

I know less about metallurgy than most, but do know that anodizing adds a great deal of toughness to an aluminum finish, but 7075 is pretty tough as aluminum alloy goes, Almost as good as some steels. Dunno how wear-resistant a non-anodized 7075 lower and upper would be, or if it would be unusually subject to wear-spalling. Does anyone know?

It is doubtful that there is a tough clear-coat that would put up with the temperature extremes of a lower/upper. If I knew I could get at least moderate wear out of a raw 7075 set, would most likely ask em not to anodize mine. Surely that wouldn't be too much trouble or expense for them.

OTOH, surely there are anodizers in TN who could put a clear anodize on a raw aluminum lower and upper for a price, but am too lazy to do the research.

If I could get the thang clear anodized, would hang a stainless barrel on it and a stainless bcg if somebody makes such a beast, and have a super-bling AR. It would match my Inox Beretta 92's. I'm real fond of stainless look.

http://nimetindustries.wordpress.com/2010/02/02/know-the-distinctions-between-clear-and-hardcoat-anodizing/

You're gonna need a gold tooth and some of those saggy pants too :)

They look great.  I am glad I got two uppers and two lowers.  My first AR build will actually be for my girlfriend as a Christmas present.  Now, I have to figure out what else I need, and how to put it all together. :)

Thanks TDR. Sounds like hardcoat would the the desired finish. Anodize finishes are real thin, but it mentions that hardcoat is thicker than clear anodize. Wonder if there would be enough thickness to mess up the dimensioning on a lower and upper?

I would say not. If I'm not mistaken, the anodizing is only microns thick. I also believe that includes penetration. 

I'm not sure, but we'll be happy to share once it's finalized.

As of today, I think about 40% of the people who created accounts over at CMT and "firmly committed" in the last thread have ordered.  The numbers are always hard to estimate until people actually step up and place orders. 

I hope they are just waiting until the last minute to order. That just sucks if not. Heck, I just had to put a $1500 set of heads on my truck, but I said I'd buy one, and doggone it, I'm buying one!

• Administrator

On a side note, I opted for the almost 2 hour drive to Guns and Leather over the 11$ add on. Haven't been there since the Sunday TGO shoots and will be nice to see the new place.

We should try to do a meet n' greet for dinner somewhere one day for the folks who are driving in from different parts of the state to pick up their lowers.

We should try to do a meet n' greet for dinner somewhere one day for the folks who are driving in from different parts of the state to pick up their lowers.

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe when we know more about shipping dates, we can come up with something.

Hope all is well with you David. Hadn't seen ya since the gun expo. Edited by BBill_TN
I'm about to order a lower and upper. I think I'll pick it up in Oak Ridge since it's only about an hour from me, and I'm up in the Knoxville area often. Where is Law Enforcement Sales in Oak Ridge? Can't find them on Google Maps and can't seem to find an address on their website.