TGO Lowers - Santa Claus is coming!

MacGyver

Guest Lester Weevils

It might be bleems of time before I put mine together. Haven't ordered any parts yet.

Am still toying with the idea of making wood hand grip, rear stock and foreend out of purty wood. Ordinary 16" carbine.

Was thinking of borrowing or obtaining cheap-as-dirt old vietnam style grip, stock and foreend as "monkey see monkey do" parts to copy in wood. Maybe modify the shapes some on the way, but have example patterns with properly sized internal dimensions to build against.

So in that case, would one do the full build EXCEPT those three parts, before embarking on making the wood parts and trying to make them fit? Or would the rifle need to be left with some parts disassembled before making and fitting the wood parts?

• Administrator

And some folk are going to be happy now!!  The lowers that were sent to D&T Arms have arrived and are ready to be picked up.

I suspected they would arrive today based on the email we got from CMT.  Just wanted to make sure you had time to check them in before folks started calling you asking where they were.  ;)

thanks fellas for putting this together.. And yes, I should have gotten the uppers to go with it.. I'm very tempted to build one of the lowers tonight but, I best leave it alone for now.. BTW, Thanks D&T for handling the transfers, looks like you guys are in for a long night.. 

Quick observation, the bolt catch pin is in place and there's no hole on the other end, so does anyone how to get that pin out?

Edited by Joseg

thanks fellas for putting this together.. And yes, I should have gotten the uppers to go with it.. I'm very tempted to build one of the lowers tonight but, I best leave it alone for now.. BTW, Thanks D&T for handling the transfers, looks like you guys are in for a long night..

Quick observation, the bolt catch pin is in place and there's no hole on the other end, so does anyone how to get that pin out?

Its not a pin, its a tiny allen head style bolt
  • Like 1

It might be bleems of time before I put mine together. Haven't ordered any parts yet.

Am still toying with the idea of making wood hand grip, rear stock and foreend out of purty wood. Ordinary 16" carbine.

Was thinking of borrowing or obtaining cheap-as-dirt old vietnam style grip, stock and foreend as "monkey see monkey do" parts to copy in wood. Maybe modify the shapes some on the way, but have example patterns with properly sized internal dimensions to build against.

So in that case, would one do the full build EXCEPT those three parts, before embarking on making the wood parts and trying to make them fit? Or would the rifle need to be left with some parts disassembled before making and fitting the wood parts?

I have some premium Black Walnut . . . .

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

I have some premium Black Walnut . . . .

Yep I startedd into amateurishly ripping some fallen trees early this year and have some black walnut, black maple, box elder and holly stacked up drying, won't be dry for a few months yet. Still got a little bit of walnut to cut up, then a bunch of oak I hope to rip this winter when the work isn't so hot and sweaty. Dunno what would make a good stock, though walnut certainly is common for stocks. Of what I'll have available, the box elder would have the lightest weight but might look too gaudy.