Should we legalize long gun carry?

Guest confidence

Legalize long gun carry?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Should we legalize long gun carry in Tennessee?

Guest confidence

I find it interesting that the laws between say, Texas and Tennessee are opposite from one another. In Tennessee, I can OC a pistol with a permit but not a long gun. In Texas, I can OC a long gun but not a pistol, even with a permit. I'm not referring to vehicle carry, I am referring to being allowed to walk around town with an AR-15 slung over your shoulder...

Do you think that openly carrying a long gun should be legal in Tennessee as it is in many other states? Why or why not?

I would vote no only reason being is a long gun is more of an offensive weapon where a pistol is more of a defense weapon.  I will be interested to see how others feel about this opinion.  I know never bring a pistol to a rifle fight.

Edited by NRA
Guest RebelCowboySnB

Never crossed my mind that you could not carry a long gun in TN.

No need for a permit to carry a long gun anywhere in Ga. Or any gun in your car.

I have an AR 15 in the window gun rack of my truck an drive all over TN. It never crossed my mind that TN would restrict long guns in any way.

Guest confidence

No need for a permit to carry a long gun anywhere in Ga. Or any gun in your car.

I have an AR 15 in the window gun rack of my truck an drive all over TN. It never crossed my mind that TN would restrict long guns in any way.

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/

Carrying a round chambered in a long gun in a vehicle:

TCA 39-17-1307...

(e)  (1) It is an exception to the application of subsection (a) that a person authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 is transporting a rifle or shotgun in or on a privately-owned motor vehicle and the rifle or shotgun does not have ammunition in the chamber. However, the person does not violate this section by inserting ammunition into the chamber if the ammunition is inserted for purposes of justifiable self-defense pursuant to § 39-11-611 or § 39-11-612.

Open carrying a long gun:

TCA 39-17-1307 bans carrying any firearm...

(a)  (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4''), or a club.

TCA 39-17-1308 provides defenses to 39-17-1307

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(1) Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

(2) By a person authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351;

39-17-1351 only pertains to handguns (except for vehicle carry as noted in 39-17-1307)

( b ) Except as provided in subsection ( r ), any resident of Tennessee who is a United States citizen or permanent lawful resident, as defined by § 55-50-102, who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age, may apply to the department of safety for a handgun carry permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to § 39-17-1316 or § 39-17-1307( b ), 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), or any other state or federal law, and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements of this section, the department shall issue a permit to the applicant.

Oh, you can carry them, just can't be loaded. :)  And if ammo is on your person while toting one, it ain't unloaded.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

ok, I seem to be rusty in my understanding of TN code since it's been about 4 years since I studied the mess out of it.

Question: in plain english, is it correct to say that you may carry a loaded (empty chamber) long rifle in your vehicle if you have a valid TN CHP, but you may not carry the rifle in that condition on your person outside of the vehicle?

If that is the case, I had gone soft and fuzzy thinking you could posses (with a valid TN CHP) a long gun on you rperson with a full mag but empty chamber.  

Do I think it should be legal to carry a long gun? yes.  Would I be wary of anyone I saw doing it in an urban setting? you bet.  

If I see someone doing anything with firearms that defies common sense, my alert level goes up.

Edited by Peace
Guest RebelCowboySnB

I am still "legal" as far as I can tell. An I use the term "legal" loosly being as the act of having a gun is default a crime in Tn.

Yall do need to work on your laws. Legal long gun carry is a good a place as any to start.

I would vote no only reason being is a long gun is more of an offensive weapon where a pistol is more of a defense weapon.  I will be interested to see how others feel about this opinion.  I know never bring a pistol to a rifle fight.

Even though I mostly feel the same regarding rifles vs handguns in an offense/defense type roll, I still voted yes it should be legal. The reason for that is that there are plenty of uses for a rifle that involve neither.

Sadly, we live in a world where this change will probably not happen, even sadder is that that may not be such a bad thing given the world we live in.

Question: in plain english, is it correct to say that you may carry a loaded (empty chamber) long rifle in your vehicle if you have a valid TN CHP, but you may not carry the rifle in that condition on your person outside of the vehicle?

That is correct, without another defense/exception, such hunting and etc.

- OS

I had no idea it was illegal to carry a long gun. Where would one find the exception in the law for hunting?

39-17-1308, "Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity"

Basically idea is "in general public", no.

- OS

39-17-1308, "Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity"

Basically idea is "in general public", no.

- OS

Does this mean I should refrain from further camping in the mall?  I used to do so well when they had the koi pond...

Well I actually voted no to this because the thought of having a bunch of people walking around on the sidewalks and in malls and grocery stores with AR's and AK's would really be unnerving in so many ways I can't list them. I don't have issues with anyone wanting to own and shoot a dozen of them if the want to in the correct surrounding and even to hunt with. I just have this picture in my mind of seeing them in Malls and Busy parking lots and sidewalks filled with children and adults and it is not a good picture. Back when I was in high school I had a deer rifle and a shotgun in the rifle rack in back window of my truck in parking lot at high school with plans on going hunting after school. Different time in a different country than we live in today. ..........jmho

• Like 4

I don't think there should be any laws against long gun possession/carry.

Tennessee is about the only state I can think of in this part of the country that make it illegal to openly or conceal carry a long gun.  Most states in this area only have laws against carrying handguns or other weapons, but not long guns.

Practically what this means is someone with a loaded long gun behind the seat of a truck does not have to worry about a weapons charge.  Even where there are no laws against long gun carry, you do not see people walking around stores or restaurants with rifles. 

Call me an absolutist if you want, but I can't get past the "shall not be infringed" part that follows "the right to keep and bear arms".

This.

That's pretty much it for me, really. Look at it this way, though. As well, just like any gun-restricting law, what does limiting/illegalizing long gun carry actually accomplish? Does it stop a crook from waltzing down the road? Well...

And heck, if someone's uncomfortable with X unknown person carrying a long gun 'round, what's different about a handgun or any weapon, really? Ehh... and in places where carrying loaded long guns is hunky-dory, doesn't seem like there are many reports of mass shooters blending in with the AR/levergun/tactic00lshotgun-toting masses...

well, I guess my point was that normally in all of the mass shootings long guns were used. If a lot of people begin walking around malls, streets, grocery stores and Walmarts with Ak's and AR's  how will any one know when the bad guy or guys show up and when the shooting starts who are to cops going to pick out of the crowd to shoot at?.My guess is anyone with a long gun.................jmho

Guest confidence

Something I just thought of...A lot of the arguments against long gun carry suddenly become murky once we realize that it's currently not illegal in TN to carry a loaded AR-15 pistol or AK-47 pistol down the street if one has an HCP.

well, I guess my point was that normally in all of the mass shootings long guns were used. If a lot of people begin walking around malls, streets, grocery stores and Walmarts with Ak's and AR's how will any one know when the bad guy or guys show up and when the shooting starts who are to cops going to pick out of the crowd to shoot at?.My guess is anyone with a long gun.................jmho

Same way I was able to tell who the enemy was in Iraq: the guy shooting at me.

That scenario you described is so far from realism it shouldn't be a consideration. Think about it, it is legal to OC a pistol if you have a permit, but where are the throngs of people OCing everywhere? Do you really think that changing the law to allow long gun carry would result is everyone carrying around a rifle? Of course it wouldn't. Besides, if it was legal, I can bet you that most businesses would not allow someone to carry and AK around their store. Keep in mind that it is already legal to carry a long gun around, just not loaded. How often do you see that?

No, it should not be illegal. The law does nothing to prevent or stop a criminal bent on doing harm, since I'm pretty sure it's already against the law to shoot people. I don't see how making carrying a rifle a misdemeanor would deter a person intent on committing a capital crime. So then what purpose does the law serve on carrying a rifle? Glad you asked; it serves only the purpose of restricting the actions of otherwise law abiding and moral people. It's a stupid law. Of course, that doesn't mean I support idiots walking around Walmart with body armor, helmet and AR-15 with a combat load. I just don't think it should be against the law.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 2

Something I just thought of...A lot of the arguments against long gun carry suddenly become murky once we realize that it's currently not illegal in TN to carry a loaded AR-15 pistol or AK-47 pistol down the street if one has an HCP.

Way ahead of you on this one. When hiking or camping I take my AK pistol and keep it loaded in my backpack. Totally legal, but if it was an SBR it's a crime.
  • Like 1