My #%&$@ Spike's Tactical AR

I'm not thinking Predator will charge you a lot. I'm just pretty sure they'll fix it. I'm sure Spike's will too, but a little less sure. You put a lot into that gun. Personally, I would take it to the guys that can make it live up to your expectations without any more suffering.

Call Gordon. He knows those guys, and can probably introduce you

Will do.  I appreciate you, and everyone else, taking the time to answer my questions.

Will do.  I appreciate you, and everyone else, taking the time to answer my questions.

Usually these things just run, especially from a vendor like Spikes. You can fix it with a new barrel and/or new receiver. But, sometimes it just pays to get the smart guys involved. I think you have one of them.

Just an update for everyone who is curious.  I've been trying to get this addressed by Spike's, but true to their past performance, the customer service rep is being less than easy to work with.  It's looking like I'll just take it to a local shop like Predator and get it worked on.  

I'm pretty easy to please as long as you stand behind your product and not give me a hassle when I need work done.  I'll not buy another thing from Spike's Tactical.  That's for sure!  

I'll post an update once I talk to Predator. 

[quote name="East_TN_Patriot" post="1055605" timestamp="1383068444"] Just an update for everyone who is curious. I've been trying to get this addressed by Spike's, but true to their past performance, the customer service rep is being less than easy to work with. It's looking like I'll just take it to a local shop like Predator and get it worked on. I'm pretty easy to please as long as you stand behind your product and not give me a hassle when I need work done. I'll not buy another thing from Spike's Tactical. That's for sure! I'll post an update once I talk to Predator.[/quote] You might also try Fighting Sheep Dog in clinton. Gunsmiths name is John young and he does very good work for a good price. Tell them Jordan sent you that way. Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots
  • 2 weeks later...

I dare say it would probably be my preference to meet up with Dolomite, your AR will be running smooth, plus you'll learn what the problem was and how it was corrected.

Ditto. Get with Dolomite. The man knows his stuff. One of my regrets is not buying one of his Saigas when I had the chance.

I dare say it would probably be my preference to meet up with Dolomite, your AR will be running smooth, plus you'll learn what the problem was and how it was corrected.

I think we know what the problem is. I understand ETP's hesitation with a warranty in place. Reality is though, that this is probably the only problem he will ever have with that rifle. Spike's is quality stuff, even though this one slipped thru the cracks.

• Like 1

So here is the update.  I had some email communication with a fellow in Spike's customer service department.  After a couple of delays, he sent me a return label and RMA number.  I sent the complete upper with BCG, copies of email correspondence including that associated with the previous RMA, photos of the malfunction posted here, and explanation of what I had tried to fix the problem including types of mags, ammo, etc.  Two days later, I received an email from the customer service rep stating that he hand-carried the upper to their armorer who, upon reading the correspondence, built a complete new upper for me and installed my LWRC quad-rail on the new upper.  I received the shipment today and it included 7 fired casings that do not have the scratches/gouges on them like the ones I got in the old upper receiver.  I asked if they knew what the problem was, they said they didn't bother to do any sort of diagnostics.  I am very confident that the feed ramps on the other barrel extension were not machined properly because these look much more flared than on the previous upper.  They also tossed in a couple of decals and a American flag velcro patch, which was nice.  The only problem is that they didn't swap out the engraved dust cover I had on the previous upper, but that is a very minor problem and I'll take credit for that because I didn't specify it was installed on the upper I returned.  Hopefully I'll be able take it out and shoot it this weekend to confirm it works properly.  

I'm glad to see that Spike's has finally tried to make things right.  I'll give a range report soon.

• Like 4

So here is the update.  I had some email communication with a fellow in Spike's customer service department.  After a couple of delays, he sent me a return label and RMA number.  I sent the complete upper with BCG, copies of email correspondence including that associated with the previous RMA, photos of the malfunction posted here, and explanation of what I had tried to fix the problem including types of mags, ammo, etc.  Two days later, I received an email from the customer service rep stating that he hand-carried the upper to their armorer who, upon reading the correspondence, built a complete new upper for me and installed my LWRC quad-rail on the new upper.  I received the shipment today and it included 7 fired casings that do not have the scratches/gouges on them like the ones I got in the old upper receiver.  I asked if they knew what the problem was, they said they didn't bother to do any sort of diagnostics.  I am very confident that the feed ramps on the other barrel extension were not machined properly because these look much more flared than on the previous upper.  They also tossed in a couple of decals and a American flag velcro patch, which was nice.  The only problem is that they didn't swap out the engraved dust cover I had on the previous upper, but that is a very minor problem and I'll take credit for that because I didn't specify it was installed on the upper I returned.  Hopefully I'll be able take it out and shoot it this weekend to confirm it works properly.  

I'm glad to see that Spike's has finally tried to make things right.  I'll give a range report soon.

I figured they would make things right if you ever got their attention. I'm betting that's the last problem you'll have with that gun

I figured they would make things right if you ever got their attention. I'm betting that's the last problem you'll have with that gun

I hope you are correct.  I was really surprised by the first experience and I am convinced it never landed in front of an armorer on that visit.  I was very happy that they went the extra mile this time.  I am a very reasonable person, so I didn't expect an immediate turnaround, but I was glad they did go the extra mile.

I hope you are correct.  I was really surprised by the first experience and I am convinced it never landed in front of an armorer on that visit.  I was very happy that they went the extra mile this time.  I am a very reasonable person, so I didn't expect an immediate turnaround, but I was glad they did go the extra mile.

They 're not trashy folks. I'm surprised you had any support problem. I'm not surprised they made it right in the end.

1) Because I read that it would help lessen recoil and help with faster follow-up shots (I originally planned this for 3-gun)

2) About the 4 o'clock and roughly 3 or 4 feet away.  No stovepipes.

3) Yes, it has always locked back.  

this nothing to do about issue and I hope it's fixed.

but the most common setup for 3 gun is light/low mass not heavy. with that said, it's all in the eye of the shooter.