Best Powder for 44 Mag?

I am looking for a good powder to use in loading 44 Mag for 180g - 200 g HP/SP bullets. The reloading manuals show Accurate #7, Accurate #9, H110 and Winchester 296. The accurate powders take less powder charge and the H110/296 the largest powder charge. I can get more bullets for the money using Accurate powder. I have used H110 before and from memory it burns dirty. I plan on using one load for both my Ruger Redhawk 7.5 barrel and my Marlin 1894 20" barrel. I would like some input from those reloaders that use these four powders in 44 mag. Which burns the cleanest, which gives best accuracy 50/100 yds, etc.  Thanks.

Edited by lshel

I use H110 in my carbine and W231 for my S&W 8 3/8 revolver. The reason for the difference is the barrel length. 

The  H110 will burn almost the full length of the barrel but the pistol powder burn rate is = to 5-6 inches. IMHO you begin 

to lose pressure using the pistol powder down the 20 inch length of your lever gun.

I run Hornady 240 gr JHP's in the carbine to minimize leading and keep the barrel nice and shiny. 

I run LSWC's in the S&W with a medium powder charge designed for accuracy over brute power and end up 

having to run a brass mesh lead removing tool down the barrel from time to time as it will lead up. The hotter you get it the

more leading you will have in your barrel.

Hope this helps.

Lp

My vote is always 2400 because it is less "peaky" than H-110

That and 2400 is quite a bit more versitile....it doesn't have to be loaded max like H-110.  Has a larger charge window.

It is my go to powder for 44 357 45/70 and most lead cast/ low velocity bottleneck rifle rounds.

• Like 2

I haven't tried it, yet, but while reading up on some of the other choices, I came across Hi Skor 700-X. Sounded good

so I got a can of it. Talking to a shooter at a gun shop today, he said he used it and it was a good one. I'm fixin' to

load some up.

2400 or 296/110 for me. AA9 sometimes. Sure, Titegroup will work, but it won't get anywhere NEAR the velocity you can with the real magnum powders. If all you're doing is paper punching, then no big deal. But if you actually want to shoot 44 Mag fot what it really IS, titegroup and all ghose other fast powders just aren't gunna cut it.

Don't get me wrong, I load lots of 44 with TG, Clays, Bullseye, etc for easy shooting powder-puff loads, and sometimes using bullets as light as 180 grains. It's a great way to help a new shooter gain confidence and have fun. Then, when they get a little too cocky, it's always fun to drop a real hot 240gr near-max H110 load in the mix and show them the gun's real potential!

I've been getting into Ramshot powders recently, too. I'm away from my personal load data right now, but I think it Silhouette was a really good powder for heavy 44 loads as well.

I used unique. Works great. Need half the powder.

Works good for plinking loads, but 2400 or 296/110 for ear splitting, hand cramping full house magnum loads.

I like Bullseye for very light loads in 44 mag as well.

Edited by gregintenn

My goodness, has no one read about Elmer Keith the father of the 44 magnum.....I did intensive reloading study of the 44 magnum and Keith was right. 2400 is the best powder for magnum loads for the standard bullet weights.For heavy bullets over 250 grains H110/w296 (same powder)w/mag primers may work well according to the gun mags but I have not tried them. I did try Mag primers with standard loads and 2400 and Keith was right. I got much better consistency with standard primers...the old guy knew what he was writing about. If you want a good load use 21 to 22 grains of 2400 with a WW standard pistol primer and you will get good velocity and good accuracy. 

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

I've been getting into Ramshot powders recently, too. I'm away from my personal load data right now, but I think it Silhouette was a really good powder for heavy 44 loads as well.

I've been happy with silhouette for 124gn 9mm, for fairly hot loads.

Dunno nothin about 44 mag, but ramshot brags about their Enforcer powder for magnum hot loads. I got a jug of that during the 2009 component shortage for .357 loading (couldn't find blue dot anywhere), but haven't cracked the seal yet. Been waiting to finish up the remaining blue dot in .357.

The latest Lyman manual shows everything everyone suggests except the AA#9 for the lighter bullets. 2400 and Unique

are evidently the better of the bunch in what you asked for. Don't really know why, though.

Edited by 6.8 AR

The latest Lyman manual shows everything everyone suggests except the AA#9 for the lighter bullets. 2400 and Unique

are evidently the better of the bunch in what you asked for. Don't really know why, though.

I know exactly why....load and shoot a couple of thousand of them and it seems to be almost perfect for the 44.  2400 really is about the perfect 44 and 357 powder.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rz2g5raah15ccc7

free load map for 44 mag,  enjoy.  you can view before you get it to see it is worth your time.  not sure why these went out of print :-(

110 for true magnum and #9 for light loads are my favorite.  you can't play with 110, magnum primers and do not download or it won't go bang.  

Holy cow....that is AWESOME.  Thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...
Guest lilfishbigpond
Thanks to this helpful discussion I got some very nice loads worked up. Tested today and 240g Hornady XTP loaded with 2400 gave me a great load - accurate and def a magnum load but mine were not at max power. 296 powder with the same 240g bullets gave a bigger recoil but were also accurate. No group measurements since I was shooting without a rest. These were shot in a ruger revolver with 9 1/2" bbl. Just wanted to add my experience since everyone took the time to discuss; and it looks like next deer season I'll be shooting with 2400 rather than factory loads! Thanks all! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk