6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

Decided to go with the 6.5 on this and not the .300 BLK so.....I need all the 6.5 Grendel owners to post up some of their go to places for parts and such. 

Right now I have the CMT upper lower coming. 

Stock will be an RRA Operator solid so that's covered.

Grip will be Hogue...got one on the other ARs, won't change there.

I also found this on Ebay and have heard good things about them in other forums so I ordered it and the charging handle and ambi safety came today...they look better in person than the pictures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330922138906?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I actually sent a message to CMT asking about their charging handle pictured on one of their rifles and if it isn't the above Raptor handle, its a copy.  They didn't answer me.  They also have a smaller profile Forward assist so if anyone knows which one that is, I would like to know.  I'll either do that one or a tear drop.

Ejection port covers.  Would like to go high end.  Have seen plenty of them on Ebay, even the laser etched ones so I could go with a 6.5 marked one but they all appear to be Mil Spec. 

Usually go with Rock River Arms two stages but open to looking at other vendors on trigger kits. Update Found a RRA two stage under retail so I have this ordered and covered :woohoo:

So with all that, we have the basics of the upper and lower done, now the real big ticket, the barrel/block and gas tube and forearms.  There is apparently still a shortage of 6.5 barrels out there.  Don't mind waiting and unless someone can find a better one, I will probably go with this one from JP Enterprises;

6.5 Grendel Barrel Kit Base Price: $829 Caliber:

Caliber: 6.5 Grendel $0 Barrel: 18" 6.5 Grendel JP Supermatchâ„¢ cryogenically treated stainless steel barrel
*This option is out of stock and my delay your order

18" length ● 1:8 twist ● medium contour $0

Barrel/Comp Finish: Black Teflon® Black Teflon® on barrel and muzzle treatment to give matte black finish. $50

Muzzle Treatment: JPTRE-424

JP Standard-Profile Compensator 1" x 2.25" .350 exit  Matte Black $0

Comp Attachment method: Blended attachment
The muzzle treatment is attached to the barrel via thread, timed and blended for seamless transition. No welding or pinning is used. $0

Gas System: JPGS-8 JP Adjustable Gas System Low profile .936" bore Black Aluminum $0

Heat Sink: Black JP Thermal Dissipatorâ„¢, long for JP .650" contour barrels
The JP Thermal Dissipatorâ„¢ far exceeds traditional fluting for transferring heat from the barrel. $0 Total price of your build: $879

JP also includes the head spaced bolt so all I'll need is a carrier, go ahead and post what you know on these as well.

So who has dealt with JP, should I go ahead and get one of their two forearm systems?  Does is come with the gas tube?  They just don't state it so if one of you knows, I won't have to ask JP about it.

Mike Gideon, let me know if your block is going to work on the CMT upper/lowers.  Since you mentioned you might be going 6.5 as well, hopefully we can use this thread for info.

Please keep the flow to Grendel related items. 

I'll be getting Hornady dies for reloading and have seen several warnings about brass for this caliber so will be buying it from Lapua or Hornady.

Ok, lets get it started, chime on in

Edited by Rightwinger
That sounds like a cool build!

I am also planning to do a 6.5 and have had difficulty finding a bbl in stock. I want to do an 18" but how much I have to spend at the time will determine the mfg.

I've got my eye on the PRI Gen III rifle-length handguard and maybe the PRS stock. For the grip, I'll probably just do a Magpul MOE since that's what I'm used to. I'm going to scope this rifle for long-range work. I have a Leup Mark 4 4.5-14x50 tactical sitting in the safe, so I'll probably use that.

The barrel is also my biggest hurdle. I want a high-end one, but the CMP is about to ship my Garand so I have to watch the coins. I'll probably have to wait a while to get the bbl I really want.
  • Like 1

JP only requires half down to put you in the build queue and are running around 16 weeks so if that helps your decision, go to their website and use their builder function.  It will save your options and then just call them up when your ready to go. 

http://www.jprifles.com/rosmain.php?

Even at $900 bills or so for the barrel assy, it will still be in the range for the overall build of my costs on a LAR-8.

• Like 1

Thanks Paul.  Not sure where they get their blanks.  I have bookmarked them as they have 6.5 Grendel 20 round mags for $17.10 so I will order a few of those from them.  Best price on the mags I've seen so far.

You gotta be careful that they're cutting true Grendel chambers. There's another reamer out there that folks were using when Alexander arms was still sitting on the Grendel name. Satern will tell you it's the same, but there's conflicting info. The difference is in the throat. A SAAMI Grendel round will work in either. Read up and proceed with caution.

You gotta be careful that they're cutting true Grendel chambers. There's another reamer out there that folks were using when Alexander arms was still sitting on the Grendel name. Satern will tell you it's the same, but there's conflicting info. The difference is in the throat. A SAAMI Grendel round will work in either. Read up and proceed with caution.

I don't know anything about that, so I'd take your advice if I were Brent. :cool:

JP is apparently aware of the issue and has a warning about ammo manufacturers as well.  They are recommending only Hornady or Lapua brass be used and watch for pressure signs using anyone else's manufactured 6.5 stuff.

What reamer would they be using Mike?  Creedmore isn't even close

From Bill Alexander Hisself...

The original 0.292" was a PPC rifle produced by Scott Medeshia and which required the necks to be turned to remove the doughnut from swaging up the neck. The 0.300 actually predates the 0.295" and follows a series of minor chamber experiments with conventional free bores and varying neck diameters. 

The 0.300" was proposed once it was seen how the Mauser and subsequently Enfield throats worked ( at the time we were not aware of the Enfield pattern). The trick to accuracy is the centre the bullet in the bore and if the chamber is loose and the case small with a large projectile then hold the projectile not the case. The compound throat nips the bullet to centre while the larger neck diameter and length is more tolerant to misalignments. 

We actually draw the 0.295" neck after the 0.300" and tested it fairly extensively. It provides no enhancement in accuracy, was picky on ammunition and was abandoned for this reason. No further development was undertaken so things like max case, min chamber were not worked out. It did not offer the possibility for future growth such as the steel case ammunition might bring.

Returning to the OP, Les Baer builds a superb rifle and while his chamber now differs, it is extremely accurate. I do not view this as anything more than a difference of opinion and given what he was trying to do makes a fair amount of sense. 

Grendels did not demonstrate the problems seen with the clone chambers when the Hornady ammunition arrived, because it conformed to the given dimensions intended to fit the chamber. The chambers have not deviated from the original design at any time during production which now spans over six years.

I might do this PRI charging handle http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-Gas-Buster-Charging-Handle-p/pri%20m84%20gb%2005-0032.htm.

If I get all the parts I've been looking at, I'll pretty much have a TGO Mark12 Mod0 in 6.5 (well, except the stock).

ETA: either the PRI handle or the one I use on my other ARs. "Old Faithful" = http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556.htm Edited by Batman

Rock River is selling complete BCGs for $110.00

I figure I can just swap out the bolt and have a back up for 5.56. Since I gotta have one with forward assist notches, why not stay with the group I've trusted for years.
http://rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=377

Can't beat that price. Is the heavier "Auto" BCG better in the Grendel than the "Semi-Auto" one or does it matter? Been wondering about that... Edited by Batman

Haven't gotten that deep in the research, but since it's not posted all over the place to do something special, I would say standard would be fine.  It's got enough impulse that I would think the only thing you might want to do in "tuning" is to use a heavy buffer to slow it down.

I was actually looking at some of the lighter bolts from JP that don't have the forward assist notches but since I gotta fill that hole, might as well stay traditional.

• Like 1

Ok. I went ahead and ordered a barrel last night. Figured I might as well jump in the pile. I also ordered a Rifle length Daniel Defense Lite Rail for three reasons. BCM has them in stock for a true discounted price... 300 bucks. The Lite rail doesn't require you to index the barrel nut to the gas tube, so you set it for minimum torque. Sinclair now has a benchrest adapter that will lash up you a pic rail, so I can use my good rest and bag if I want. Ain't as taticool as a bipod, but sure is more comfortable to shoot at long range. I have the bipod and hardware too.

I also ordered some brass and a couple of mags. Still noodling reloading dies. I'll probably just pop for the Redding competition dies, since it looks like I'll be shooting Lapua brass anyway.

EDIT: BTW... the barrel is a 20" Shilen match barrel. It's a little shorter than I would like, but I have lots of faith in Shilen. Midway is saying December. Who knows when it will really ship. Since this thing is gonna be so expensive, I almost don't mind the wait.

Edited by mikegideon

Mike, I think the 24" barrel is a bit too long, what are your thoughts on that? Seems it might be a bit heavy.

I want a 24. Just couldn't get one. In the end, long range comes down to barrel length. I haven't studied the Grendel enough yet. Get the Shilen. I know it's more money, but not enough more to make it out of reach.

Edited by mikegideon