6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

My biggest issue is getting to light a pull weight on each stage. I have run a couple 2 stage that were down in the ounces rather than pounds and I absolutely hated it. It went against anything in this brain of mine. Even in a single stage I don't really care for anything under 3#. It's a lot of money for me to spend on something that I might or might not learn to like. I wish I had someone close by that had a couple that I could try out.

Hey btw, you know when you asked if I had someplace to load develope and shoot? I completely forgot about a buddies farm and he's got a back stop and 2 4x8 ply wood target stand. Also got a decent shooting bench and the shop with all the electricity you could want with benches are right there as well. I'd say there's at least 300yds of perfectly clear and flat range area and it could be as much as 400+yds. Just let me know if you still wanna do that and we can figure out when.

You need to read up and watch the videos on the Geissele high speed line. There are three weight ranges, with the second stage being continuously adjustable within its range. Same mechanism with different trigger return and disconnector springs.

If you can set that up, you can compare the High Speed and SSA-E on my rifles. I really just need to get some velocity readings and set my gas blocks on the first outing. There's probably gonna be too much computer work to do after that to try to whip up an accuracy ladder in the field. I still have to measure fired case capacity too. Since I have two different barrel lengths, I'm going to do my best to find an optimum charge weight load that fits both guns. Being able to drive all my crap to a shooting bench, and not have to deal with a firing line schedule will be real helpful. Won't need much range at all during the first session. Well... at least not until we decide to haul out the blaster AR's and have a little fun :)

You need to read up and watch the videos on the Geissele high speed line. There are three weight ranges, with the second stage being continuously adjustable within its range. Same mechanism with different trigger return and disconnector springs.

If you can set that up, you can compare the High Speed and SSA-E on my rifles. I really just need to get some velocity readings and set my gas blocks on the first outing. There's probably gonna be too much computer work to do after that to try to whip up an accuracy ladder in the field. I still have to measure fired case capacity too. Since I have two different barrel lengths, I'm going to do my best to find an optimum charge weight load that fits both guns. Being able to drive all my crap to a shooting bench, and not have to deal with a firing line schedule will be real helpful. Won't need much range at all during the first session. Well... at least not until we decide to haul out the blaster AR's and have a little fun :)

Sounds good. Just let me know when you get to that point and I'll shoot you some directions and an address to the place. We payed tires around on New Year's Day and had a grass track day on the dirt bikes and one turn went around the shooting bench and another by the berm/backstop so that's when I remembered that option. My house is only 5 miles from there so if something serious came up we could head there.

As far as the trigger goes, I just need to squeeze on a few of the Geissele offerings to get my head wrapped around them. I'll study up on the josh speed match tonight.

Sounds good. Just let me know when you get to that point and I'll shoot you some directions and an address to the place. We payed tires around on New Year's Day and had a grass track day on the dirt bikes and one turn went around the shooting bench and another by the berm/backstop so that's when I remembered that option. My house is only 5 miles from there so if something serious came up we could head there.

As far as the trigger goes, I just need to squeeze on a few of the Geissele offerings to get my head wrapped around them. I'll study up on the josh speed match tonight.

I have a high speed match on the first Grendel, and an SSA-e on the second. So, you'll get to squeeze the two best choices. I may need to load up a few more rounds, since I only planned on one rifle when I made up the ammo. That's a fast process. I'll give you a call when I think I can see a break in the weather.

I have a high speed match on the first Grendel, and an SSA-e on the second. So, you'll get to squeeze the two best choices. I may need to load up a few more rounds, since I only planned on one rifle when I made up the ammo. That's a fast process. I'll give you a call when I think I can see a break in the weather.

Sounds good.

IF YOU CAN SET THAT UP, YOU CAN COMPARE THE HIGH SPEED AND SSA-E ON MY RIFLES. I really just need to get some velocity readings and set my gas blocks on the first outing. There's probably gonna be too much computer work to do after that to try to whip up an accuracy ladder in the field. I still have to measure fired case capacity too. Since I have two different barrel lengths, I'm going to do my best to find an optimum charge weight load that fits both guns. Being able to drive all my crap to a shooting bench, and not have to deal with a firing line schedule will be real helpful. Won't need much range at all during the first session. Well... at least not until we decide to haul out the blaster AR's and have a little fun :)

I just realized what you were meaning by "if I can set that up" I guess I thought you meant if I could set a trigger up. My water pipes froze solid Monday night or the wee hours of Tuesday morning and I have been fighting it every since so my mind is a bit fuzzy. Here it is 2:24am and I can't go to bed because I've got a propane Ready Heater running in the crawl space and surely want to be awake and keeping an eye on it in case something went wrong.
Anywho, there should be zero problem setting it up to use the property and the shop and there's at least a decent chance that the lady of the house there will cook us whatever meal is going on while we're there :) if not I'll see if I can't talk my wife into takin care of that end of it.
When I get the last few parts for my upper I'd like to bring it all up your way and use your receiver lapping tool if you wouldn't mind. If timing works out you could bring it down here with you and we could kill two birds with one stone.
I'm gonna quit typing because I'm starting to get a bit dilearious and I'm sure I'm rambling.

My water pipes froze solid Monday night or the wee hours of Tuesday morning and I have been fighting it every since so my mind is a bit fuzzy. Here it is 2:24am and I can't go to bed because I've got a propane Ready Heater running in the crawl space and surely want to be awake and keeping an eye on it in case something went wrong.

If you need any help, let me know

Heads up! There are 16" and 18" AR Stoner bolt/barrel combos in stock at Midway for 300 bucks. These barrels are made by Liberty, which is affiliated with Satern. That's a cheap deal, and well worth the risk if you just wanna get into the caliber. 

mine just came in and looks great, Mike you should be seeing it soon!!! :wave:

• Like 1

You really need to lap the receiver and bed the extension. I've done 3 of CMT uppers so far, and all 3 needed it IMO. I'll do it for you if you want.

Remember we already talked about that. I'm hoping it works out for you to bring it when you come down to use the range. I'm going to be over there tomorrow afternoon to re zero my Blackout. I replaced the narrow quad rail with a Troy modular rail the other day and moved the scope around a little so I've gotta get it back right before I head to FL hunting on Friday.

I helped another guy put his TGO rifle together last night and it needed to be lapped. If I find a deal on one before we meet up I'll pick it up and lap his if he wants.
I almost hate to admit this but here it goes, I got his upper built and bedded the extension and gas block and about that time I moved something on the bench which revealed the small ziplock that contained the damn dust cover! I wasn't on my game last night I guess.