6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

lol, it's a 6-24x44 BSA from Midway

Great scope for the money

The reason I ask is, the scope I think I want is way over what I originally thought about spending so it's going to take a good while for me to make that deal happen. I'm okay waiting on really good glass but not okay with waiting forever to shoot this rifle once it is built so I've been thinking about picking up cheaper glass to run for the time being. It will also give me time to put some lead downrange and see how far I will regularly shoot it because if I tend to only shoot 6-800yds then I can probably get by without a Nightforce.

Mike if you have the same scope and wouldn't mind bringing it when you come down, i'd love to check it out and look through it some.

Mike, I've already forgotten which upper vise block you bought. I know it was one that used the takedown pins but can't remember the brand. I was looking at the Wheeler vise block that's made of aluminum like this one, http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Wheeler-Delta-Series-AR-Upper/Pic-Rail-Vise-Block&i=705844&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373035383434

Gander Mountain has a higher price tag than the one i'm looking at but it's that exact one. Have you heard anything bad about them?

Also I may end up going ahead and buying the receiver lapping tool because I found one for $25.

Mike, I've already forgotten which upper vise block you bought. I know it was one that used the takedown pins but can't remember the brand. I was looking at the Wheeler vise block that's made of aluminum like this one, http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Wheeler-Delta-Series-AR-Upper/Pic-Rail-Vise-Block&i=705844&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373035383434

Gander Mountain has a higher price tag than the one i'm looking at but it's that exact one. Have you heard anything bad about them?

Also I may end up going ahead and buying the receiver lapping tool because I found one for $25.

DPMS. It has internal support...

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-DPMS-Panther-Claw-p/panther%20claw%20ar15.htm

The reason I ask is, the scope I think I want is way over what I originally thought about spending so it's going to take a good while for me to make that deal happen. I'm okay waiting on really good glass but not okay with waiting forever to shoot this rifle once it is built so I've been thinking about picking up cheaper glass to run for the time being. It will also give me time to put some lead downrange and see how far I will regularly shoot it because if I tend to only shoot 6-800yds then I can probably get by without a Nightforce.

Mike if you have the same scope and wouldn't mind bringing it when you come down, i'd love to check it out and look through it some.

I plan to stick it on the JP rifle. It will do exactly what you want. It will let you start shooting. I'll have the PST on the Shilen gun. I won't be popping for a Nightforce.

Look at the reviews...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962234/bsa-tactical-mil-dot-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-44mm-side-focus-glass-etched-mil-dot-reticle-matte

Edited by mikegideon

I've been hunting a chunk of delrin to fab one of these out of.. I used to trip over the crap at a business that a family friend owns but something or another changed and they don't see it much any more. I agree that the internal support would be worth it though. I wasn't even thinking about that.

I plan to stick it on the JP rifle. It will do exactly what you want. It will let you start shooting. I'll have the PST on the Shilen gun. I won't be popping for a Nightforce.

Look at the reviews...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962234/bsa-tactical-mil-dot-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-44mm-side-focus-glass-etched-mil-dot-reticle-matte

I've been looking over them since GuitaRx mentioned that was what his is. Seems to be mostly good reviews. I may not be popping for a Nightforce either but I decided that I didn't want to spend the money on a PST if I was going to end up wanting more. I guess it all depends how these rifles end up doing, as well as how well my eyes perform.

The PST should be just fine.

BTW... the chamber on that Shilen barrel is real damn tight. I haven't cleaned it yet, but right now, it's measuring 5 thousanths shorter than the factory AA ammo. The JP barrel has a 20-25 thousanths jump. I DID clean it first 

Edited by mikegideon

The PST should be just fine.

More than likely. Have you or anyone else that might be watching this had any experience with the Trijicon Accupoints? I've never used anything Trijicon made that wasn't quality but I am put off by it being a 2nd focal plane scope for the money. 

• 2 years later...

Brent, when I was thinking about the Grendel I ended up going with the 6.8. The lack of info, production, standardization, etc. was just too much for me.  I really like the Grendel but figured I would probably never shoot past 300m and for under that the 6.8 is a bit better. I have shot a 6.5 and really liked it. Good luck getting this put together. 

Just got around to firing the Grendel with the AR Stoner barrel... Chamber is very very tight.. awaiting word from Midway right now.. not expecting much help from them since it's been 2 years since I bought the barrel.   UGH..

That's a Liberty barrel by Satern. Satern was fixing them. Worse case, you may just have to pay for it. Shouldn't be all that much.

I'm glad this tread came back up. I just received my satern 24 inch barrel and bolt for my build today. There is a lot of good info here. Thanks guys!

Well I'm not to excited about it because I sold my parts off to fund a bolt gun and glass and there's still a part of me that wants to re purchase parts and build it. I found a new set of dies and a box of 123gr Lapua Scenars that I had forgotten about while re organizing some of the drawers in my loading room last week. I should probably post them for sale or keep them in case I do build one eventually.

So what's the Cliff Notes version of why I should own a 6.5 Grendel?

Equal capacity, recoil, manual of arms as AR15. Better ballistics at 300m and in as AR. Gets really good ballistics over 300m and really starts to shine over 500m. Hits similar to .308 at distance but shoots much flatter. Simple barrel, mag, and bolt swap.
  • Like 1
Well, I was gonna have my build finished today but thanks to the useless ups drivers that we always seem to get in my area I will have to wait. Apparently my package was delivered yesterday, just not to my house. I love it when this happens!

Not exactly. You can use gas guns all the way up. It's the longest range you can get out of an AR-15, mainly cause of the kickass bullets available in 6.5 mm

There was a tad bit of exaggeration in my comment but yeah. I keep seeing the bullets by Lapua get mentioned so if they're involved I can't imagine it being bad. Whole reason I ask is because I have all the parts for a long range ar build. Originally was going for .223 but maybe this will suit my goals a bit better.