6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

Well, I went from bitching about barrel lead time to being covered up with barrels. The Shilen showed up yesterday, and I just couldn't keep myself from sticking it on the gun. Then, the JP showed up a few minutes ago. THIS is where the advanced stages of AR disease gets ugly. I have this spare billet upper receiver...

Well, I went from bitching about barrel lead time to being covered up with barrels. The Shilen showed up yesterday, and I just couldn't keep myself from sticking it on the gun. Then, the JP showed up a few minutes ago. THIS is where the advanced stages of AR disease gets ugly. I have this spare billet upper receiver...

Don't fight it Mike, just embrace the fact that you have two precision "twins" on the way and ride with it. B)

Nothing says "manly man" like double gunning some 20+" grendels. :rofl:

I doubt that I'll build out a complete rifle. May just steal the lower off my .223 varmint gun and replace that receiver. It has a PRS stock and a 1lb trigger. Or, I may share the upper on the new gun. A lot depends on if I can get the Shilen under 1/2". If it shoots bug holes at 100, I may just sell the JP before I shoot it.

I'd take one off you, but I'm still waiting for the one I ordered in July from Satern to come in. Don't need to be in the same boat as you... These lead times on grendel barrels are exciting indeed!!

Edited by Ted S.

There are worse situations to be in for sure, like having no barrel yet and it being your own fault because you didn't check the exp. date on your card :) I'm excited to see what kinda results you get.

I'd take one off you, but I'm still waiting for the one I ordered in July from Satern to come in. Don't need to be in the same boat as you... These lead times on grendel barrels are exciting indeed!!

Good luck with Satern. They have a reputation for being impossible to get. Great barrels.

There are worse situations to be in for sure, like having no barrel yet and it being your own fault because you didn't check the exp. date on your card :) I'm excited to see what kinda results you get.

The gun is together, optic and all. I just have to bore sight it, and it's ready to hit the range. It's pretty heavy. Haven't weighed it yet. 

IMG_0983a_zpsbd60e325.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

Building another? With the other barrel I assume.

I see you have a PRS for it as well.... Great pick for the stock on both. Building mine in OD green at the moment, but may get cerakoted in coyote if I can muster up the cash to get a U.S. Optics sight.........

Building another? With the other barrel I assume.

I see you have a PRS for it as well.... Great pick for the stock on both. Building mine in OD green at the moment, but may get cerakoted in coyote if I can muster up the cash to get a U.S. Optics sight.........

Yep. The other barrel. I had a 223 rifle configured for long range, and decided to part it out. Since I had the second set of receivers and most of the barrel parts, I only had to get a handguard, barrel heat sink, gas tube, and the upper receiver parts. It will be a helluva rifle too. It will look more like a JP rifle. I also have an EGW bag rider, so I plan to use this one with my Rock BR front rest, and Protektor rear bag. I have a Larue mount showing up on Monday, so I'll actually be able to share the scope between the two rifles, or use one of my cheesy long range scopes. I just hope I can share loads between the two rifles.

• Like 1

My barrel HAS been shipped!

Don't drop that sumbitch on your toe :) It has a little heft

I think the dam finally broke. Word is that there are new source(s) for bolts. Both of my barrels showed up a day apart. Last I checked, Midway had two versions of Stoner barrels in stock. Looks like yours is showing up early

Edited by mikegideon

Don't drop that sumbitch on your toe :) It has a little heft

I think the dam finally broke. Word is that there are new source(s) for bolts. Both of my barrels showed up a day apart. Last I checked, Midway had two versions of Stoner barrels in stock. Looks like yours is showing up early

I suspect you can tell a man that's dropped one of these barrels on his toe by the limp :)

I'm kinda curious whether or not this is still an AA bolt... That link you sent me a while back showed that company was in the process of having bolts made and as hard to get as they are one might think that there are more than one mfg. looking into building them. At any rate, i'm proud that mine is now on the way so all I lack for the upper is a gas block and a handguard. I've got to put new tires on the wife's SUV this week and that will eat into money that was loosely earmarked for the handguard, gas block and whatever trigger kit I decide on.. I'm still not 100% what group I want to get for it. I have always liked single stage triggers and mostly disliked the two stage triggers that I've run BUUUT.... I've never run a Geissele trigger group so i'm pondering the thought of giving it a shot. They make damn 2,000,000 different models so it's taking me a while to figure on which I want. I'll have it figured out by the time I have the money to blow on it though. 

The Geissele High Speed Match is the best AR trigger I've ever felt, and I haven't even adjusted mine yet. I put an SSA-E in my second Grendel, only because I had it. It's not near as good.

Bill approached that trigger design as an engineer. ALL my money is on him. You are going to give up something if you try to make a single stage work in an AR. Too much violent stuff going on in the action. That 2 stage feels like a 1lb trigger, and doesn't give up any hammer force or lock time to get it done.

http://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-match-rifle-trigger.html

The Geissele High Speed Match is the best AR trigger I've ever felt, and I haven't even adjusted mine yet. I put an SSA-E in my second Grendel, only because I had it. It's not near as good.

Bill approached that trigger design as an engineer. ALL my money is on him. You are going to give up something if you try to make a single stage work in an AR. Too much violent stuff going on in the action. That 2 stage feels like a 1lb trigger, and doesn't give up any hammer force or lock time to get it done.

http://geissele.com/hi-speed-national-match-match-rifle-trigger.html

My biggest issue is getting to light a pull weight on each stage. I have run a couple 2 stage that were down in the ounces rather than pounds and I absolutely hated it. It went against anything in this brain of mine. Even in a single stage I don't really care for anything under 3#. It's a lot of money for me to spend on something that I might or might not learn to like. I wish I had someone close by that had a couple that I could try out.

Hey btw, you know when you asked if I had someplace to load develope and shoot? I completely forgot about a buddies farm and he's got a back stop and 2 4x8 ply wood target stand. Also got a decent shooting bench and the shop with all the electricity you could want with benches are right there as well. I'd say there's at least 300yds of perfectly clear and flat range area and it could be as much as 400+yds. Just let me know if you still wanna do that and we can figure out when.