6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

Yep.

Apparently their website is sleepy today as I was going to put the magazine catch and bolt in my wish list so I could drop the order tomorrow.

Got the old "service not available" message.

When I drop that order, I have everything but the barrel/handguards and the forward assist here or on the way.

Going with the JP barrel kit, just got to save some more dollars for that.

Got some of those new enhanced pivot and take down pins..nice

Got the ejection port cover with the Snake and Don't Tread on Me motif...also nice.

RRA NM two stage trigger

RRA Operator stock

Ranier Arms Raptor ambi charging handle

Battle Arms Ambi Safety

Hogue Rubber grip (just for Dave at D&T)

Found a new group called Seekins Precision.  Billet parts so I have their stuff for the bolt catch and mag release button.

I still need the forward assist and I want the one I see on CMT's website.  SOMEONE help me identify this FA.

I apologize for ripping off their pic but it's easier just to post it here instead of trying to get you all to go find it on their site.

The profile for that assist just blends with the billet upper.  Who makes it!?

FA1_zpsfb27f87f.jpg

FA2_zps6f8072a1.jpg

Sure wish you had told me!

I got the whole kit, stock, tube, buffer and spring plus a free wrench for 109.00 off ebay and free shipping so I guess it will be okay.

Now tell me who makes that FA and I'm done except for saving pennies to give to JP Enterprises.

Sure wish you had told me!

I got the whole kit, stock, tube, buffer and spring plus a free wrench for 109.00 off ebay and free shipping so I guess it will be okay.

Now tell me who makes that FA and I'm done except for saving pennies to give to JP Enterprises.

Fiteen dolla...

http://www.primaryarms.com/Basic-Forward-Assist-Kit-Round-PA-FAK-RND-p/pa-fak-rnd.htm

I want a 24. Just couldn't get one. In the end, long range comes down to barrel length. I haven't studied the Grendel enough yet. Get the Shilen. I know it's more money, but not enough more to make it out of reach.

I really want to put an 18" on mine if the performance won't suffer too much. I have been doing some reading, and it seems 18-22 still works well with the 6.5. I still need to run some numbers though to make sure I don't regret going shorter. Midway carries an 18" rifle gas barrel for the 6.5, but it's AR Stoner. If it was a Shilen, I'd order it.

I really want to put an 18" on mine if the performance won't suffer too much. I have been doing some reading, and it seems 18-22 still works well with the 6.5. I still need to run some numbers though to make sure I don't regret going shorter. Midway carries an 18" rifle gas barrel for the 6.5, but it's AR Stoner. If it was a Shilen, I'd order it.

They have a 20" Shilen as well. It's what I ordered. Even with a 20, it's gonna be good for a half mile, maybe even 1000 yards.

• Admin Team

I don't know what the burn rate on 6.5 Grendel is optimized for, but if you don't need the extra length for added velocity, there's a lot to be said for the rigidity of a shorter barrel.

My 700LTR in .308 with a 20" barrel performs just as well as its cousin 700 Police with a 26" barrel at 600 yards.

600 is pretty easy. I'm still playing with the ballistics. The BC's are high. I wanted to push to 1000, but may or may not fall a little short with a 20. There are guys shooting much longer barrels in the caliber. Burn rates are gonna be whatever spits the bullet at the most velocity without kabooming the gun. I probably won't buy more than a box or two of factory stuff, and only if I can find it when I need it. The Larry elves should be slapping my name on a box o' brass right about now.

Looks like 26 grains of H335 is max load with a 123gr Scenar seated to mag length. That's with a 20" barrel. Any slower, and you start running out of case capacity with that bullet and OAL. Disclaimer: Quickload lies sometimes, but they usually not huge Obama type lies.

More... looks like it's gonna be between H322 and H335 in the Hogdon lineup, base on some load info I'm seeing out there

Edited by mikegideon

Shoot.  With the business you send his way, Larry himself ought to be pulling your order and sending you a Christmas card.

They did drive a box down to UPS for me one afternoon because they screwed up an overnight order. Refunded the shipping charges too. Now, if I can just figure out how to redeem my Larry bucks. I could use them when I pop for those Redding dies :)

I wouldn't think that CMT would design the upper for a forward assist and then just plug it for a promotional photo.

I did look at the plugs but since I'm getting a bolt with forward assist notches, I'll get a forward assist.

I'll give CMT a call and ask someone directly what they installed in that rifle.

I wouldn't think that CMT would design the upper for a forward assist and then just plug it for a promotional photo.

I did look at the plugs but since I'm getting a bolt with forward assist notches, I'll get a forward assist.

I'll give CMT a call and ask someone directly what they installed in that rifle.

good Idea, I'd like to know what it is also...