6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

I think the Redding S series pretty much tops it out. I have them for .223 as well. I just don't use them for blaster stuff.

They kinda go along with a Shilen barrel...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/943523/redding-type-s-match-bushing-2-die-set-65-grendel

What... not the competition set (micrometer sizer also) ? And don't forget the comp shellholders.

I love mine. The bushings are addictive. I have about 25 of them. Edited by R_Bert

Got me a Spike's M16 milspec BCG coming from my friends at JoeBob. Couldn't find just the carrier, so I guess I have a spare 5.56/300 BLK milspec bolt. That ain't so bad.

I plan on getting mine there also... It's already on my build list.

This is gonna be a helluva rifle. I'm just trying to grab up all the crap before another libtard goes on a shooting spree and kills the parts supply. Wasn't long ago that you would have had to trade a kidney for a Spikes BCG. Bravo has their excellent BCG's in stock now too, but they're more money. Didn't want to go there, since I'll be changing out the bolt.

I may just order the lower parts seperately, since there would be so much throw-away. No way I'm putting a milspec trigger in this one.

Edited by mikegideon

I ordered some more stuff. Geissele high speed match trigger, and PRS stock. Also some boring incidentals. The gun is gonna come in under $2k, not counting the glass.

I was guessing around $1,800-$1,900 before glass but was afraid I was being to conservative. Good to know I wasn't to far off.

I was guessing around $1,800-$1,900 before glass but was afraid I was being to conservative. Good to know I wasn't to far off.

You were close. $1766 now, and still gotta get a gas block, charging handle, upper parts, and rail covers. I'm pretty sure I have a rifle tube, buffer, and spring in the box. If not, I'll have to get them too. I have a long range scope I can throw on it right now. I just want something better.

I ordered some more stuff. Geissele high speed match trigger, and PRS stock. Also some boring incidentals. The gun is gonna come in under $2k, not counting the glass.

I wish I was in a position to start ordering right now but i've got to many irons in the fire at the moment, finishing fencing, wiring electric for mama's hot tub I picked up for her this week and in the middle of the upstairs remodel among other small things so I think i'm putting it lightly when I say I would get some looks if gun parts started showing up again right now.

You were close. $1766 now, and still gotta get a gas block, charging handle, upper parts, and rail covers. I'm pretty sure I have a rifle tube, buffer, and spring in the box. If not, I'll have to get them too. I have a long range scope I can throw on it right now. I just want something better.

The glass is whats going to get me,,, I know i'm going to get the urge to skimp a bit but i'd really like to pick up something in the $1,500 range.

I wish I was in a position to start ordering right now but i've got to many irons in the fire at the moment, finishing fencing, wiring electric for mama's hot tub I picked up for her this week and in the middle of the upstairs remodel among other small things so I think i'm putting it lightly when I say I would get some looks if gun parts started showing up again right now.

I have a lot going on too. Credit cards really smooth things out. I just can't lose sight of the fact that our government is comprised of complete retards, and can stop the flow of rifle parts in an outburst of retardation. I'm probably at least two months out on a barrel. The entire world could change by then.

I have a lot going on too. Credit cards really smooth things out. I just can't lose sight of the fact that our government is comprised of complete retards, and can stop the flow of rifle parts in an outburst of retardation. I'm probably at least two months out on a barrel. The entire world could change by then.

If I still had credit cards I would be in the same boat. My income is not even close to what it once was so i'ts probably a good thing. I think i'm going to focus on anything 6.5 specific as soon as possible and I figure even if things got weird again, I could work out the rest. I'm adding in a little finger crossing for safe measure.

I finished ordeing everything. Wound up hitting $1900, but I didn't cut any corners. It will be a kickass rifle. I'm just gonna fart a lot when I shoot it, because of my new 100% bean diet. :)

Hahaha I suspect i'll go on the same diet even though i'll be building it over time. Can't wait to see yours together!

Hahaha I suspect i'll go on the same diet even though i'll be building it over time. Can't wait to see yours together!

It will have lots of hidden laser engraving... trigger, BCG, charging handle. It will pretty much just look like an AR on the outside. :) Should be a tack driver, though.

It will have lots of hidden laser engraving... trigger, BCG, charging handle. It will pretty much just look like an AR on the outside. :) Should be a tack driver, though.

Tack driver is what I'm most interested in and I want 800yds and really would like to reach out to 1,000Yds+ but I'm not sure that I'm willing to go with a long enough barrel to achieve the latter. I have read where quite a few folks with 1 or more 6.5's have stated 18 1/2 - 20" is the sweet spot
In barrel length but I'd rather not base my purchase of an expensive barrel on statements made by an unknown "authority" ya know.

Tack driver is what I'm most interested in and I want 800yds and really would like to reach out to 1,000Yds+ but I'm not sure that I'm willing to go with a long enough barrel to achieve the latter. I have read where quite a few folks with 1 or more 6.5's have stated 18 1/2 - 20" is the sweet spot
In barrel length but I'd rather not base my purchase of an expensive barrel on statements made by an unknown "authority" ya know.

Personally, I wouldn't go below 20. That will make 800. Should be able to develop lots that are still supersonic at 1000 as well. The question is supersonic enough. Should make the trip with low wind, no matter what

How much does it fall off if you drop to an 18" or 19"?

That's what I'm looking for too. I'll probably end up doing an 18" if it doesn't suffer too much. It will be after Christmas before I can spend too much money on this build though. The CMP will be charging my card soon when they ship my Garand, and the kids all still want Christmas gifts (huh? :) ). I just hope parts are still available around the first of the year.

ETA: I already have a YHM rifle length Diamond rail sitting around along with a BCM auto BCG. I'll use the BCG, but I still plan on getting a PRI Gen3 rifle length carbon rail for this one. It will pretty much be a MK12 Mod 0 in 6.5 if the 18" bbl works out. Edited by Batman

It looks like I'll have half the costs of the 6.5 rifle in the barrel and about the same in everything behind it, minus glass as well.  I'm sitting at $859.00 right now with everything here or on order for upper/lower complete and ready to go.  I just got to wait a few weeks so I can order the JP barrel kit. 

As it currently stands, I'll probably move my Vortex PST over to this rifle until I can afford another long range scope.