6.5 Grendel build (assembly)

It looks like I'll have half the costs of the 6.5 rifle in the barrel and about the same in everything behind it, minus glass as well.  I'm sitting at $859.00 right now with everything here or on order for upper/lower complete and ready to go.  I just got to wait a few weeks so I can order the JP barrel kit. 

As it currently stands, I'll probably move my Vortex PST over to this rifle until I can afford another long range scope.

You can always get one of these. Very cost effective, and did a fine job at 600 for me. Sat down, dialed in the elevation from my little computer printout, and nailed the steel. Great scope for 150 bucks, and will probably be on the new rifle when I take the first shots ('cause I know the turrets are dead nuts on). I figured you might move the PST. That may be what I get for this rifle too. I just really really really want a Horus reticle.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962234/bsa-tactical-mil-dot-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-6-24x-44mm-side-focus-glass-etched-mil-dot-reticle-matte

How much does it fall off if you drop to an 18" or 19"?

There's some noodlin' to do. Bill Alexander and Co. did a great job with this caliber. It handles bullets with real high ballistic coefficients. Still getting my arms around it. A 20 inch is short for my tastes. I'm just not gonna hold up may build long enough to get a grail barrel when the thing is gonna hit 1/2 mile targets just fine.

There's some noodlin' to do. Bill Alexander and Co. did a great job with this caliber. It handles bullets with real high ballistic coefficients. Still getting my arms around it. A 20 inch is short for my tastes. I'm just not gonna hold up may build long enough to get a grail barrel when the thing is gonna hit 1/2 mile targets just fine.

I guess i'm just envisioning a huge unwieldy rifle with a 24" barrel. I'm having to really keep reminding myself that this one is not going to be for slinging around and dragging through dirt and the such so I guess a lil' extra barrel and weight won't be a crime. 

I'm pretty well set on 6.5G for my TGO lower build, but I'm not really thinking about 1000 yard shots.  It's really just a "because I can" build that might be used to take deer at some point or might get taken out for some longer (400m) shots, but nothing extreme.  Question for those of you who have done the serious research: J&T sells 6.5 barrels made on stainless E.R. Shaw blanks for $355 with a headspaced bolt (link).  They're button-rifled with a 1:9 twist.  The link is to their bull-contoured barrels; the std. contoured barrels are apparently available but don't show up on the site.

Based on your guys' research, where would you place these barrels on the cost v. performance curve?

Mind change!!!!

I ordered the WMD-X bolt carrier group after reading all the reviews on them.  Comes with a Nickel Boron coated hammer as well.  I don't know if I'll mix a NiB hammer with my RRA two stage so who wants a shiny hammer??

Mike, you should trade me some brass for the shiny hammer thingy!

Now the wait begins for CMT to start shipping and me to save up enough to order the barrel!  Still got to get some mags and will probably just break down and buy some factory ammo from AA or some other online places to get started.  Lapua brass still way to high for me to look at when Hornady is half the price.

Mind change!!!!

I ordered the WMD-X bolt carrier group after reading all the reviews on them.  Comes with a Nickel Boron coated hammer as well.  I don't know if I'll mix a NiB hammer with my RRA two stage so who wants a shiny hammer??

Mike, you should trade me some brass for the shiny hammer thingy!

Now the wait begins for CMT to start shipping and me to save up enough to order the barrel!  Still got to get some mags and will probably just break down and buy some factory ammo from AA or some other online places to get started.  Lapua brass still way to high for me to look at when Hornady is half the price.

No can do. I have a Geissele High Speed Match trigger on the way. It don't work with shiny hammers. The brass is in stock at Midway for $75/100. It's Alexander Arms headstamp packaged in bulk, but really Lapua brass. That's a helluva deal for Lapua brass.

I still need to call them about the forward assist.  Forgot about that last week.

Where's MacGyver when you need him.

Mac...if you're out there, I'm going to bed, call your buddy at CMT and ask him what type of forward assist they used for the Gen two upper photos and if the lowers will have any issues with KNS pins.

Talk to you daywalkers tomorrow!

I still need to call them about the forward assist.  Forgot about that last week.

Where's MacGyver when you need him.

Mac...if you're out there, I'm going to bed, call your buddy at CMT and ask him what type of forward assist they used for the Gen two upper photos and if the lowers will have any issues with KNS pins.

Talk to you daywalkers tomorrow!

BTW... we may wanna do some load development at the Blake estate, if we can talk him into it. I still gotta hook up with him and get my excellent tripod. I guess we probably need to wait until somebody can get their hands on a barrel :)

I'm pretty well set on 6.5G for my TGO lower build, but I'm not really thinking about 1000 yard shots. It's really just a "because I can" build that might be used to take deer at some point or might get taken out for some longer (400m) shots, but nothing extreme. Question for those of you who have done the serious research: J&T sells 6.5 barrels made on stainless E.R. Shaw blanks for $355 with a headspaced bolt (link). They're button-rifled with a 1:9 twist. The link is to their bull-contoured barrels; the std. contoured barrels are apparently available but don't show up on the site.

Based on your guys' research, where would you place these barrels on the cost v. performance curve?

I haven't seen anything about these barrels but maybe Mike has?

I'm pretty sure that's a delrin plug. In other words, no forward assist.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=663058

I think you're right, I have looked around and kept my eye out for a "low profile" forward assist and haven't seen anything yet. It shouldn't be a big deal to take your standard forward assist to someone with a lathe and have them turn the shoulder and contact surface lines off of it. Do that and slap a coat of paint of your choice of color and call it good.

• Like 1

I have a few Shaw barrels. Nothing wrong there, especially if JP cuts the chamber. Haven't seen anything, just pretty familiar with Shaw.

Do you know who all cuts chambers to Sammi specs? Or I guess more importantly have you figured out whose barrels to steer clear of? 

Looks like a good start. You're gonna have all the parts before you get the receivers!

I have everything except receivers and barrel. I'll be ready to make ammo on Friday if I can find some powder. I have a long range scope and mount, but will most likely buy a new Vortex by the time the barrel shows up. There will be a 20 MOA riser under the scope from the jump. Looks like this thing will probably do ok at 1000 with about a 40 MOA come up.

Don't know much on barrels except that the Shilens are good.

I think you're right, I have looked around and kept my eye out for a "low profile" forward assist and haven't seen anything yet. It shouldn't be a big deal to take your standard forward assist to someone with a lathe and have them turn the shoulder and contact surface lines off of it. Do that and slap a coat of paint of your choice of color and call it good.

My brother can turn it for me.  May just do that.  Probably cheaper in the long run. 

I'm with you on the "ouch" Mike.  I'm at $1003.00 but the upper lower stuff is all here or on the way. 

I need to get 4 mags, the barrel kit and order up some ammo to start brass generation so at least another grand to put it together.

Then some glass...sigh.

I wish I could satisfy myself with that BSA scope you linked me to but I just can't.  Maybe on a .22, jus saying.

May have to talk to Dave about another PST.

I'm with you on the "ouch" Mike.  I'm at $1003.00 but the upper lower stuff is all here or on the way. 

I need to get 4 mags, the barrel kit and order up some ammo to start brass generation so at least another grand to put it together.

Then some glass...sigh.

I wish I could satisfy myself with that BSA scope you linked me to but I just can't.  Maybe on a .22, jus saying.

May have to talk to Dave about another PST.

I've settled on a Viper PST FFP for glass, and may get around to buying before I shoot the gun. If not, I'll start with the BSA. This ain't your average BSA scope. I won't be able to shoot any better with the Viper. We compared that thing with a Sightron and Leupold, both $1000ish scopes. I agree the rifle deserves better. Just sayin', the BSA was good enough to polish 1" dots off a steel plate at 400. Ask Okie... he was the designated dot painter :).

So... I'll use the snooty scope, and enjoy every minute of it. I just won't ever get rid of that BSA.