-1 for Valvoline - Not posted but not gun friendly

KahrMan

I stopped by Valvoline Instant Oil Change at lunch today to get my oil changed. They offer free wifi. So I hoped on the laptop and headed to TGO to see what was going on. Instead of TGO's home page I was directed to Valvoline's internet filter. TGO is a prohibited site because it falls under the category of weapons. What a bunch of B.S. Their lobby is not posted but they are obviously not gun friendly.

Just thought I would get the word out.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

*shrugs* Its a corporate policy. Panera Bread does the same thing.

Its not necessarily about not being "gun friendly" or not... its more of the set of rules setup in the webfilter software\appliance that their running. These rules come from updates from the vendor and are predefined.

I do these things for a living. :-P

Guest GUTTERbOY

Yup, probably just a default setting on their filter stuff that they were either too lazy or not savvy enough to change. Did you even try bringing it to the attention of the management?

Yup, probably just a default setting on their filter stuff that they were either too lazy or not savvy enough to change. Did you even try bringing it to the attention of the management?

Not necessarily that either.

Their probably using the same line as everyone else.

We block gun websites here at work as well. Mainly because we dont want people surfing for guns at work. It offends some people ya know. :D

Same goes for Pr0n

No. I figured the guys changing my oil really didn't have anything to do with it. I am going to send corporate an email.

No. I figured the guys changing my oil really didn't have anything to do with it. I am going to send corporate an email.

And they probably dont care if a customer writes about it just because they cant get to a website when their offering FREE internet in the first place.

hmmm go figure! well I won't be going there anymore! nor will I take any of the company vehicles there... since we have 3 dodge crewcab 2800's and I usually do the stuff to keep the oil changed (company credit card..etc) every 3000 miles...that's 4 vehicles that get the works. usually every 3 months or so.

nice work valvoline!!!!

Guest Mugster

That proxy site takes your page request and submits it for you. The reply goes back to the proxy...which turns around and sends it to you via a fake URL, so it basically stiffs the filter that trys to block stuff by URL. Well, until they add the URL of the proxy to the filter. It won't hold up in a real investigation, FYI, but it does ok for minor stuff like gun boards and yes pr0n.

I find it pretty funny that most browsers are building in a "pr0n mode" direct from the factory.