Windows 8.1 issues?

imo windows 8 is a waste which is why im sticking with windows 7 for aslong as possible

Windows 7 is kick azz, I use it on my work computers and one at home.
But I also have one that is Windows 8. I just like to keep up; I’m an old guy, but I don’t fight change. biggrin.gif

I heard Microsoft pulled back 8.1 almost as soon as they released it. Don't recall what the problem was. They were trying to restore some of the look and feel of Windows 7 I believe. I just purchased new, off lease, computers with Windows 7 replacing XP machines. Microsoft will stop supporting XP in April of 2014. I am staying away from Windows 8.

Anyone else done the 8.1 upgrade?

I did it today and now I can’t post anything unless I use the BBCode mode. Can’t copy/Paste, or use the Image or link buttons without using the code with BBCode mode turned on.
??

Same problem here.  Upgraded the other day.  I believe there is an incompatibility with the current version of IP.Board and Internet Explorer 11 (that 8.1 installs)

Cannot quote posts or paste inside the editor.

Not sure what the fuss is, I've been running windows 8.1 since the it was released to MSDN subscribers (developers), I don't use IE for anything, I usually use Chrome for my browsing and I don't have a problem.

Garufa, what exactly is the incompatibilities? I usually use Chrome on my 8.1 box(es) and don't have a problem. My only complaint is my finger scanner not working with it and I don't want to fork out the 40 buxs for the upgraded software.. 

Not sure what the fuss is, I've been running windows 8.1 since the it was released to MSDN subscribers (developers), I don't use IE for anything, I usually use Chrome for my browsing and I don't have a problem.

Garufa, what exactly is the incompatibilities? I usually use Chrome on my 8.1 box(es) and don't have a problem. My only complaint is my finger scanner not working with it and I don't want to fork out the 40 buxs for the upgraded software.. 

Found this the other day related to IP.Board.  Assume it is the problem I and other IE 11 users will run into.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/internet-explorer-11-copy-paste-issue-r42941

Based on what I just read, it's 3rd party libraries that haven't been updated to work with IE11, that's not a reflection of the OS, 8x is just as great as win7. It's just different way of approaching the UI, but you can still work it like if you are using windows 7. Google adding quick launch to windows 8. Then also get Google Chrome. 

And I'm running it on 3 year old hardware with everything on it being supported. 

I updated yesterday and have not had issues posting today.  My Netflix isn't working right though, the video and audio are all out of synch.  I hate Windows 8 with a passion but my old lap top was about to bite the dust and I'm not shelling over the money for an Apple.  Still have a lot of problems with it though.  I usually have at least one crash a day while editing photos.

• 1 month later...

I just had a buddy call me -

he is trying to create a first-time TGO account, and is using Win 8.1 and IE 11.

He sees the form ok, but does not see the Captcha spam puzzle (and thus cannot complete the TGO registration).

any ideas?

Guest Lester Weevils

Yep, MS somehow managed to hose my IE with automatic updates on my two win 7 and one Vista system, sometime earlier this year. So I just use Firefox which is better and more secure anyway as far as I can tell. My copies of IE still work, but just barely.

Some "folks who supposedly know" tell me that internally win 8.x is more advanced and better than win 7, and I wouldn't kick about using Win 8 on an x86 tablet if I ever get one, but if/when I build a new pc, its gonna have win 7 pro or ultimate on it, which has treated me well.

Lots of folks have bitched about vista, but vista never treated me especially bad.