Training pictures

Guest Shay VanVlymen

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

What is the significance of the trend for one or two participants to be fielding Kalishnikovs while the rest have ARs? Are these groups actually issued varying weapon platforms as contractors? Or, was this a simple matter of personal preference?

Forgive me if this was a redundant question...

Guest Shay VanVlymen
Question:

What is the significance of the trend for one or two participants to be fielding Kalishnikovs while the rest have ARs? Are these groups actually issued varying weapon platforms as contractors? Or, was this a simple matter of personal preference?

Many times you don't know what weapon you are going to be issued on a contract. And some times it's just simple personal preference. Right now ammo costs could be playing a part as well.....

Question:

I think it was a case of bring what you own. Since you are a civilian contractor, likely you will supply your own firearms that you are comfortable with.

I think it was a case of bring what you own. Since you are a civilian contractor, likely you will supply your own firearms that you are comfortable with.

That could be a potential logistics nightmare... unless each person was responsible for providing their own ammo, mags and spare parts!

Honestly... if I was going overseas, I'd want an FAL carbine and a P226 9mm.

I can certainly understand the ammo prices issue being a big part of the decision!

• Administrator

I guess for the sake of clarity, Shay are any of the trainers combat veterans? I looked at the profiles and most seem to have some law enforcement background. But of coursed, some of the folks here are combat veterans and I think that is what some of the critiquing comes from.

I guess for the sake of clarity, Shay are any of the trainers combat veterans? I looked at the profiles and most seem to have some law enforcement background. But of coursed, some of the folks here are combat veterans and I think that is what some of the critiquing comes from.

I cannot answer for Shay, but there are veterans of combat in those photos. I can say that because I recognize them.

More to the matter, what is being taught in that course IS NOT military operations. Rules of engagement and SOPs are much different for civilians working PSD. The majority of people who received standard training in the military would not know where to begin on many of the topics covered in that particular course. I have not taken that course, but I plan to soon.

I have taken several other courses from TR. I have learned how to survive an ambush at an ATM, the legal implications of shooting someone, how to thwart a home invasion and protecting my family. They do not teach you any of that stuff in the Army, Marines, Navy, or Air Force. I would not use someones service in the military as the basis for measuring competence in teaching every subject matter involving personal defense, or defense of a client.

If TR was teaching how to direct artillery, calling in close air support, attacking enemy emplacements, or any other type of military maneuvers this would be a valid point. Some of the instructor I have met through TR have also done those things to great success and would be qualified to teach that, but why would they? You can get all that by enlisting. Many of these private training companies are in business because they are teaching things that are not taught by the government, or at least not yet.

Problem is we don't see any training photos of how to survive an ambush at an ATM or how to thwart a home invasion and protect the family.

What I see are a bunch of guys having fun pretending to be combatants.

I don't see anything wrong with that if it's for fun and it does, I guess, have some training value. But some of us who have recent or current combat experience have been critiquing the photos and having a good laugh on another board. There has been a lot written here about training correctly. A lot of what we see is not correct technique. I'm not going to get into a long-winded discussion of all the things we see, but don't imagine this training done this way is going to teach you the right way to "operate".

That said, I'd probably have a lot of fun running around with these guys.

Guest Tommy Ferguson Jr.

You probably won't see any pictures about surviving an ATM assault, etc from their High Risk Contractor Medical package anyway.

That's kind of the point, Tommy. The training pictures are great, but lets see some primarily from Tactical Pistol or whatever it is they call it. Fewer pictures of burning cars and more pictures of mom with the baby carriage/stroller defending herself from armed thug at the grocery store parking lot.

• Administrator
That's kind of the point, Tommy. The training pictures are great, but lets see some primarily from Tactical Pistol or whatever it is they call it. Fewer pictures of burning cars and more pictures of mom with the baby carriage/stroller defending herself from armed thug at the grocery store parking lot.

I'm sure Shay would be happy to post some more photos from other classes, but after speaking with him yesterday it is fairly obvious that he's starting to feel like he can't win for losing around here.

He posts photos of things burning and blowing up because people generally enjoy seeing that, and the photos end up getting picked apart. He posts pictures of people shooting in a Fighting Pistol class, in the rain, and people comment that it looks like someone had their finger on the trigger at the wrong time.

If I were in his shoes, I'd be a little dismayed as well. Maybe if folks cut him some slack, he'd post more photos of whatever you all want to see.

:D

I'm sure Shay would be happy to post some more photos from other classes, but after speaking with him yesterday it is fairly obvious that he's starting to feel like he can't win for losing around here.

He posts photos of things burning and blowing up because people generally enjoy seeing that, and the photos end up getting picked apart. He posts pictures of people shooting in a Fighting Pistol class, in the rain, and people comment that it looks like someone had their finger on the trigger at the wrong time.

If I were in his shoes, I'd be a little dismayed as well. Maybe if folks cut him some slack, he'd post more photos of whatever you all want to see.

:D

Good point Tungsten.

I have no problem looking at cool pictures... Plus, nowhere in these latest threads has this training been touted as the only way to go by Shay. I prefer a balanced input, we can all make our own decisions from there.

Shay, regardless of where we agree and disagree, I respect your input. Especially most recently.

Thanks,

He posts photos of things burning and blowing up because people generally enjoy seeing that, and the photos end up getting picked apart.

He doesn't expect that posted training pictures won't be picked apart? What we do here is very polite compared to other sites.