Can't go wrong with a Mora, I find the carbon steel ones hold a great edge and are easier for me to bring back to razor sharp. 

I've also had a Stainless model, but the clinch river claimed it while wading the river trout fishing. 

Value wise, I can't  think of any other knives that beat them.

If you want a slightly fancier model, check out Marttiini Knives.

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1
I've used my Mora Companion probably more than any other knife over the last year or so that I've had it, primarily for various outdoor chores around the house. It's tough enough to stand up to hard work, but cheap enough that I'm not afraid to abuse it. Easy to sharpen to scary sharp too.
  • Like 1

I love mine....Just the cheap carbon and stainless (511/546) $9 shipped models are the best.  Use them practically everywhere and for everything.  

I trim back the handguard some and then stipple the handle.  Must have 5 or 6 of them around the house.

The carbon ones will rust as expected after hard use without oil so I use them in the shop only, and the stainless ones are almost as easy to keep sharp...very good stainless from my real world experience.  

Needless to say I am a huge fan.

• Like 1

...the stainless ones are almost as easy to keep sharp...very good stainless from my real world experience... 

That is good to know for future reference.  I can see buying more of them down the road.  I generally prefer carbon steel but if the stainless takes/holds and edge almost as well in this case then I'll consider stainless models, too.

You all should check out the Robust!

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

If I was you all, I'd back up and look at the whole catalog a Ragweed Forge. While worth the time you will spend there! ;)

Oh and Ragnar will ship up to 6 knives for something like $6.  At least he used too.

Interesting.  From what I can find, the main difference in the Robust and the Companion is that the Robust has a thicker blade, right?  Another interesting thing is that, looking on Amazon, there also appears to be a Heavy Duty version of the Companion that has a thicker blade than the 'standard' version of the Companion (just about the same thickness as the Robust.)

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Sandvik-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B009NZVZ3E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384358737&sr=8-2&keywords=mora+robust

I didn't realize that when I ordered mine.  Now I am going to have to go back and look to see which version of the Companion I got.

EDIT:  Looks like I ordered the 'standard' version.  Might have to order a heavy duty, as well.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Interesting.  From what I can find, the main difference in the Robust and the Companion is that the Robust has a thicker blade, right?  Another interesting thing is that, looking on Amazon, there also appears to be a Heavy Duty version of the Companion that has a thicker blade than the 'standard' version of the Companion (just about the same thickness as the Robust.)

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Sandvik-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B009NZVZ3E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384358737&sr=8-2&keywords=mora+robust

I didn't realize that when I ordered mine.  Now I am going to have to go back and look to see which version of the Companion I got.

EDIT:  Looks like I ordered the 'standard' version.  Might have to order a heavy duty, as well.

I think the grip is a little more hand filling as well.  I hope you all took some time to check out Ragweed Forge! :) He specializes in Scandinavian blades.  They are probably some of the nicest looking, utilitarian knives made and have a long history of serving the Sami people well!

Edited by Moped

Has anyone done a patina with vinegar on there mora? Also what are the ups and down in doing this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I haven't used vinegar, but I did use cold blue that you use on firearms.

I can't see any downs as to doing it with vinegar, you just don't want to leave the vinegar on to long.

If you do you'll have a "deeper" red rust you'll have to remove and in doing that you may bring it back to bare steel.

I've seen some people use a potato to put a patina on them, I honestly can't remember how long it took to turn blue.

I believe there is a Youtube video on it.

The up sides would be that it helps keep rust away/off the blade longer. But it still will rust faster than stainless.

The patina help build a layer that rust has to penetrate. But the layer is very thin.

Edited by TnShooter83
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been picking up the Mora/Light My Fire knives from Sierra Trading Post.  They seem to get them in various colors (right now red).

If you are signed up for their email alerts you'll routinely receive 30%-40% off digital coupons, many times with $0.99 or free shipping.  The regular price is $25.95, but with the coupons & shipping deals the last ones I bought were about $17 shipped.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife~p~6461n/?filterString=s~light-my-fire%2F&colorFamily=03

light-my-fire-swedish-fireknife-in-red~p

• Like 1
Have a Mora 2/0 I use as a neck knife. It has held up well under moderate to hard use. It has a rat tail tang that runs the full length of the handle. I haven't been able to find another like it...not sure if they make them anymore. It is marked KJ on the blade.