Trying to play the Walmart .22 game

Academy in chatt had federal 325 packs for $20, looked like maybe 50 boxes of it, last week and it was not selling fast.  The ammo is out there, but walmart isnt the way, wally gets a couple boxes per week that is gone in an hour.  Bigger places are getting cases of bulk packs now  --- look around. 

Hey hey now!  I was talking about guys who are old AND retired AND idiots.  There are plenty of people who are retired that aren't idiots; heck, there are even plenty of folks who are old but not retired - like my parents.  But - guys who have nothing better to do than sit at Wally World at 4 AM and destroy sellable merchandise just to resell and deprive guys like us of the ability to buy this stuff firsthand are IDIOTS.  End of story.

Thanks for all the great info, all - got several great leads!  Here's to the day that we can all bring a brick home every time we stop in to any of these stores.

MERICA.

Hey hey now!  I was talking about guys who are old AND retired AND idiots.  There are plenty of people who are retired that aren't idiots; heck, there are even plenty of folks who are old but not retired - like my parents.  But - guys who have nothing better to do than sit at Wally World at 4 AM and destroy sellable merchandise just to resell and deprive guys like us of the ability to buy this stuff firsthand are IDIOTS.  End of story.

Thanks for all the great info, all - got several great leads!  Here's to the day that we can all bring a brick home every time we stop in to any of these stores.

MERICA.

Check your PMs.

.... But - guys who have nothing better to do than sit at Wally World at 4 AM and destroy sellable merchandise just to resell and deprive guys like us of the ability to buy this stuff firsthand are IDIOTS.  End of story....

Doubling your money or better isn't idiocy.

- OS

Got the same story from the Alcoa Walmart after church today. They say the same guys are there every morning at 06:00 waiting for them to put it out on the shelf at 07:00 and then the guys scarf it up.

Anybody seeing 22 in the Knoxville, Maryville, Alcoa area at other places beside Walmart? I checked Dicks across the highway a few times and got the same story from them. I still have some stored up from over the years but have been using some of it lately teaching the nephew to shoot. I am not hurting for it but I would p/u a brick or 2 if available.

I don't agree with the reselling.

Check around at different walmarts in your area. Several in my area stock in the morning but one stocks around 8:00 PM so for us working stiffs, we can get there and try to buy a few in the evening. I was running close a few months ago and decided I was going to play the game to get a few rounds. After a week, I had 2 1000 round boxes of the Winchester M-22 and some of the 555 round boxes. I have a buddy that likes the 555 round boxes of Winchester so I traded him for some Federal. It took standing in line a few nights but within a week, I had all I needed and haven't had to go back in several months. I did have to get there at 6:00 pm and had to basically hang out right at the counter. By the time they brought it out, there were 10 - 12 people lined up and guys were trying to break line. You would think they were giving it away the way people were acting.The guy behind the counter knew most of them by their first names so that tells you they were there every night. They all had that look on their face like who's the new guy when they spotted me there first in line. 

Check around at different walmarts in your area. Several in my area stock in the morning but one stocks around 8:00 PM so for us working stiffs, we can get there and try to buy a few in the evening. I was running close a few months ago and decided I was going to play the game to get a few rounds. After a week, I had 2 1000 round boxes of the Winchester M-22 and some of the 555 round boxes. I have a buddy that likes the 555 round boxes of Winchester so I traded him for some Federal. It took standing in line a few nights but within a week, I had all I needed and haven't had to go back in several months. I did have to get there at 6:00 pm and had to basically hang out right at the counter. By the time they brought it out, there were 10 - 12 people lined up and guys were trying to break line. You would think they were giving it away the way people were acting.The guy behind the counter knew most of them by their first names so that tells you they were there every night. They all had that look on their face like who's the new guy when they spotted me there first in line.

All Walmart stores start stocking at 10 PM-ish, that's when the overnight crew comes in. I imagine the freight you see being put out at 8 PM is probably stuff left from the night before. Stuff that the first shift (days) did not get around to stocking yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All Walmart stores start stocking at 10 PM-ish, that's when the overnight crew comes in. I imagine the freight you see being put out at 8 PM is probably stuff left from the night before. Stuff that the first shift (days) did not get around to stocking yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, it's from what came off the truck at 4:00pm that day. The Walmart I'm talking about is about 15 miles from a distribution center so maybe that has something to do with it. One of my old clients use to be the sporting goods manager at the store I'm talking about and that's the reason I found out when to go there. She said the trucks come in around 4:00 every afternoon and at that store, the person in SG checks what came in around 7:00 and brings it out. Another 10 miles down the road, that store doesn't pull ammo till next morning. 

[quote name="10ga" post="1061960" timestamp="1384140014"] No, it's from what came off the truck at 4:00pm that day. The Walmart I'm talking about is about 15 miles from a distribution center so maybe that has something to do with it. One of my old clients use to be the sporting goods manager at the store I'm talking about and that's the reason I found out when to go there. She said the trucks come in around 4:00 every afternoon and at that store, the person in SG checks what came in around 7:00 and brings it out. Another 10 miles down the road, that store doesn't pull ammo till next morning.[/quote] That must be a tiny tiny tiny store. Definitely not a super center. BTW, the DC delivers the trailers for GM merchandise early in the day usually. The 2nd shift (afternoon) starts unloading at 4 pm. No way they start at 4 pm and have a 1,700 piece truck unloaded and on the floor at 8 pm to be stocked. Theyd have to dig thru all that freight to get to the ammo because its buried. She's confused. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk Edited by CQB Elite

Actually it varies. Most stores will stock ammo at 7:00 a.m. a few will stock the ammo as soon as it is unloaded off the truck. Which the management wants it unloaded by 7 p.m. and then the unloaders have to go to lunch. Sometimes the sporting goods guy will come to the back when we were unloading and get the ammo, sometimes he would let it wait til the morning. True the stock is pulled to the floor at 8p.m. and the night shift comes in at 10 p.m. to stock. They stock all night until morning to 7 am or later.  

I've only seen a few lines at the sporting goods counter when I was there. Can't believe how many people would ask for .22 even when there wasn't a truck. But supposedly with the Black friday shopping day upon us, there will be a truck everyday and 2 on wednesday.

I'm just glad I don't have to unload anymore.

That must be a tiny tiny tiny store. Definitely not a super center. BTW, the DC delivers the trailers for GM merchandise early in the day usually. The 2nd shift (afternoon) starts unloading at 4 pm. No way they start at 4 pm and have a 1,700 piece truck unloaded and on the floor at 8 pm to be stocked. Theyd have to dig thru all that freight to get to the ammo because its buried. She's confused. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

You'd be suprised how long it takes people when they are motivated. I've done a 2900 piece truck and it seemed like it took us forever. But a 1300 piece truck we unloaded once right at 7 p.m. Only unloaded a truck by 6:30 pm once. and that was a 700 pc truck.And all this after pulling the back end and moving more pallets than i've seen in a long time. Manchester walmart also is one of the few walmarts out there with only one loading dock area. Most of the newer stores have 2 separate docks. We had to break the rollers a few times to allow the unloading of another "palletized" truck.

Edited by Wyldk2

That must be a tiny tiny tiny store. Definitely not a super center. BTW, the DC delivers the trailers for GM merchandise early in the day usually. The 2nd shift (afternoon) starts unloading at 4 pm. No way they start at 4 pm and have a 1,700 piece truck unloaded and on the floor at 8 pm to be stocked. Theyd have to dig thru all that freight to get to the ammo because its buried. She's confused. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's a super center wally world. I don't know, she was the sporting goods manager there for 18 years so I'd say she knows what she's talking about and is now an assistant manager. Sporting goods counter guy told me the same thing, could be a rogue Walmart. Maybe the truck gets there before 4:00. All I know is that's when the ammo is put out at this particular store everyday when ammo is on the truck. There were several guys there the night I was buying ammo and when they brought it out, they had to put stamps on before they checked us out. I did the same thing last month and got a can of Tula .223. 

• Like 1
It won't be long now and all the stores will be awash in .22, and prices will come down. It's true as evidenced with 9mm, 45, .223 etc. that's showing up.

I refuse to buy ammo from the LGS right now. I haven't seen .22 or 9mm at Walmart for a year. But then I work and don't get to Walmart often, or at the opportune times.
I buy it online for the most part. Edited by DAdams
Guest TankerHC

It won't be long now and all the stores will be awash in .22, and prices will come down. It's true as evidenced with 9mm, 45, .223 etc. that's showing up.

I refuse to buy ammo from the LGS right now. I haven't seen .22 or 9mm at Walmart for a year. But then I work and don't get to Walmart often, or at the opportune times.
I buy it online for the most part.

Walmart in Dayton has Hornady and another brand 223 for 5.99 box. Almost hard to believe just 5 months ago that stuff was running 30 bucks give or take per box.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

What would be nice is if Walmart refused to sell to those same old geezers every time they got the shipment in.

What would be nice is if people stopped buying from the old geezers. Walmart is in the business of making money, they don't care one bit if it is one person buying or 10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to get to Walmart in east Knoxville this morning after work, and find I was the first of 3 asking about 22lr ammo. They had 3 cases of bulk... 1 box of remington 225 count and 2 boxes of Federal 500 count. with a 3 box limit, I am certain it is all gone. I think the federal boxes were just under 20 dollars. (Gun shops that have 22lr have been selling boxes of 50 for 4 - 8 bucks (nice raket they have eh... (8 x10 = $80 so a 60 dollar proffit for them WOW!) even at 4 dollars a box they double their money!

Anyway, I can finally shoot the dang MkIII.

You have to hustle to get Ammo at walmart. I see the same 4-5 guys every time I go. Some I suspect are resellers the others or preppers or hoarders.

I would fall into the last category.

I suspect that a great many of us are going to fall into the hoarder category for a while at least.

I don't plan on snatching everything I see, but will try and pick up a box or so when I see it at a reasonable price. Then if the supply  and price warrants, I'll buy case lots. But whether or not we see the "old" pricing on the major pistol and rifle calibers again is still questionable.

• Like 1
I think everyone on here should email the folks on armslist, craigslist, Etc that makes a post and set up a time and place to meet to buy there 60.00 ammo. Then never show. Make them work for there 20.00- 40.00 profit. Maybe they will give up on the early morning hunt!!

FlyBoy

An almost amusing aspect is that the resellers' financial plan forces them to buy more and more ammo to keep the shelves empty even as things start to return to normal. As soon as they stop (and they will have to sooner or later), they are left with a load of stock that can't be sold for above (or even at) retail prices. Serve them right.