Veterans drivers license

aquaman67

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TankerHC

They have been doing this for a while. One thing you may want to know, which I already addressed last week with our State Rep in an email.

Four months ago or so I used my DD214 for TN drivers license, along with some other documents. While there several times I saw at least 4 Vets get quite mad at the rigamarole they had to go through to get their license, or license renewed. One Vet who clearly had a prosthetic leg, said that this was the fourth time for him to try to get something done.

I went last month to get my bike endorsement, they asked if I wanted to get Veteran put on my license. Asked why? Does it get me something or something. Really dont care, but sure go ahead and they asked for my DD214. I handed them my DD214. Now I have been a VFW VSO and still work with Veterans. I know SOMETHING about a DD214. The DD214 Copy 4 is the service members copy. Its the copy you get when you exit the service. Its the copy you get that has all your info, MOS, time in service, lost time, awards, etc.

I was told it was no good. Thats not the copy that service members carry. Oh, OK, which copy is that? Copy 7. Well Copy 7 AND 8 are Carbon copies that show Entry and Discharge. Doesnt matter, Copy 4 is no good. OK, so what about retiree ID? Nope, no good, too easily faked. So a Military Retiree ID, which is watermarked in three different places, is no good, but a DD214 Copy 7, which can be bought, fake in packs, all over the web, is good and cannot be faked? So I had to ask, and nicely, why is it that when I had to be vetted by the State Department, my DD214, Copy 4 was accepted for proof of military service, why was it when I worked for FEMA in Security, it was good enough to show proof of military service, why is it god enough for proof of military service to the VA for benfits and a VA picture ID but not good enough for a stamp on a drivers license? Simple response, all of those other documents are too easy to be faked, but not a DD214 Copy 7. 

So (And nicely) I simply said no problem, I will see about getting this misinformation corrected. Told the other lady who was handling my paperwork that you guys still get a max on the review (They hand you a piece of paper before you leave to fill out) because I did leave with what I came for and everyone was nice about it. Just misinformed. 

Here's the kicker, while I was standing there talking to the lady, they did have an impromptu open meeting of sorts, because no one really knew what DD214 Copy they were supposed to take except one girl who seemed to take pleasure in the fact that she could say no to Veterans who handed her anything but Copy 7. But at the exact same time they were saying Copy 7, there was a guy standing to my right 3 feet away, using Copy 4. When I asked how his Copy 4 was good but mine and the other Vets I saw wasnt, the lady just shrugged more or less. 

So just a suggestion. Your DD214 Copy 4 (Members copy) may be seen as no good. If you have a CAC Card ID, that is no good as Military Retiree ID,s VA Photo ID's and anything else that you normally carry, are no good.

Just make sure when you go to get your Vet Stamp that your carrying Copy 4 and Copy 7 (Which you will either have to print out from ebenfits (If you have a confirmed account) or call and have one faxed or pick it up. . Because depending on the station there is no telling which they will ask for. 

Edited by TankerHC

Got mine today. Had sent off to the Personel Records in St. Louis a couple of years ago for a certified copy. My sister wanted a copy so she could join the Womens American Legion Auxiliary . These designated licenses are nice to show for the Veterans discounts at places like Lowes and can get a free meal on Veterans Day at some chain resturants.

Seems an awful lot of hassle for something that really doesn't have a use. Unless it makes it easier to get outta tickets. Dad just has plates and a hat.

There are a lot of places that give Veteran's discounts. Lowe's was mentioned. A local grocery store and restaurant give 10% off. If you didn't retire there's no way to prove your status unless you carry your discharge papers with you.

And as mentioned, it may even get you out of a ticket, or not.