WARNING! Tisas 1911 is a DO NOT BUY or... (Tanker's Revenge)

Guest TankerHC

Well I just sent a request for return. See what the response is. I never had to return anything, but I never had a problem either. Told them, I dont want a refund, just give me a credit so I can get something shootable.

I'm interested in hearing about how they deal with this.

Thanks for sharing, Tanker. Sorry it's been such a hassle but at least TGO can learn from your review...
Guest Riciticky

I bought a used RIA and it wouldn't shoot straight so I sent it back.. I liked the way it looked but didn't like to shoot it. I like the Ruger SR 1911 though. If anyone would like to trade one on an xd compact in fde, I have one for trade.

I have one in the shop and it is just the GI spec and it seems like a well made gun, I even had a 1911 collector the other look at it and said for a 400 plinker it seemed like a well made gun

That's along the same lines as the reviews I've read. Maybe Tanker was unlucky enough to get the last one to come off the assembly line at 4:59 p.m. on a Friday.

Guest TankerHC

I have one in the shop and it is just the GI spec and it seems like a well made gun, I even had a 1911 collector the other look at it and said for a 400 plinker it seemed like a well made gun

I am a collector, this is a total POS. 

Guest TankerHC

That's along the same lines as the reviews I've read. Maybe Tanker was unlucky enough to get the last one to come off the assembly line at 4:59 p.m. on a Friday.

Ignore the reviews. There is no way in hell that this is a fluke, this entire gun from top to bottom is an absolute POS. Top to Bottom. 

Guest TankerHC

I have a feeling that the people who are reviewing their own guns are either not being honest or the GI models are decent guns and their attempt at a Stainless is a failed attempt, initially. The first review of this Stainless that I saw (Noted as a NEW gun) was from G&A just last month although I know they have been out since at least early this year.

Secondly, I have been looking around at pictures of the GI, and looking at the GI, this is NOT that gun in quality, in any shape, form or fashion. Every photo I see of the GI (And there are a lot of them) they do APPEAR to be slightly under par in comparison the Rock GI's. The other problems I see with the GI are I keep reading things like this "I bought my TISAS GI, added a bunch of Wilson and Colt parts and it's a tack driver". Well No sheet. The next time I want to buy a cheap GI gun, put $250 in parts in it to make it a "tack driver", Ill be sure to buy a TISAS, or go out and just buy a Rock, Ruger, Springfield, or something else. 

I have a LOT of friends that shoot 1911's exclusively here and there, and plenty around the Country, that are 1911 Collectors. And no offense to people who like their Tauras PT1911, but of all the 1911's out there, about to a person, it is the last 1911 they would buy (They would buy it but for the price, would go with Springfield or something else), the reviews I see keep comparing the TISAS Stainless for $599 to the Tauras. That says all I need to read. (Although I would have no problem owning a Tauras, I also would buy a Springfield GI first, at least with a GI you can get the Combat Carry upgrade, if your willing to wait)

My opinion, the Tauras is a far better gun. And having shot several, I see nothing wrong with them. 

Now having said that, I should have known better than to buy a gun that hasnt been out more than a few months (January at the earliest). Armscor didnt come out of the gate running with their stainless guns either, in fact although they are really nice guns today, the stainless and Two Tones, but when they came out, even though the Rock GI was top notch for the price, their Stainless guns left something to be desired when it came to workmanship. I really am not even mad about this. because I BOUGHT INTO THE HYPE, knowing better. And I guess that $90 ($300) shotgun thrown in was the kicker. And thats EXACTLY what it is supposed to be. Get people to start buying these guns so throw in a "free" shotgun" TWO GUNS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE! Hesus, I fell for the hype (Gun magazines) and the free shotgun, which is worth, in my opinion, all of 50 bucks, dont ever expect to see it up for sale. Because I wouldnt do that to a member here. When those shotguns go back to retail price, spend 20 bucks more and buy an 870 or spend 100 less and buy a Savage Stevens (At least thats based on the Ithaca Model 37). And is there ANYONE here that doesnt know that when I gun mag tests a new gun they dont go buy one off the shelf? They tell the manufacturer they are going to test it and ask for samples. And they dont get a gun right off the line, they get what they want the magazine to see. Anyone here doenst know that? Because I know that AND STILL FELL FOR THE HYPE. 

Well looking around tonight I keep reading this  "I wouldnt chance my money on one of those Stainless just yet, wait until some people buy them". NO ONE I know, literally not one of the people I know that shoots 1911's in various competitions or whatever and carries them, owns one or will buy one. 

Well I didn't MEAN TO be the Guinea Pig. But I am and I am going to say that my opinion of this gun stands. Spend $600 and what you get is a raw frame and slide and a bunch of parts that are the type that if someone needs a pair of grips you send them to them and tell them when their new ones come in just keep them or parts that end up in a plastic box taking up space until you decide to throw them away or give them away.

Those are the parts I have in a box now that are actually better than the parts on this gun. But after careful consideration, I have decided, I bought it, I accepted it, Im keeping it. im going to do the work on it that will require it to be at least a safe gun to shoot, because right now it isnt. 

Going to take about a week I guess. If I have time, I have other things to do. But I am definitely going to do a real video review on this thing. While I was taking this thing apart my wife was asking me what I was laughing at. What I was laughing at was that I could not believe that anyone, much less Buds, would allow something like this to even ship with their name. I still cant believe it. 

Give me a day or two, Ill have a video up. Then start showing progress on repairing it and fixing the problems.

Edited by TankerHC
It has to be a failed attempt at a stainless model. We have a GI in the display case at the shop, and John our gunsmith owns and shoots one. Seems on par with the RIA pistols Ive handled, and just a notch or two below my Springfield GI. Not bad little pistols at all, especially for $350 bucks. Havent seen a stainless yet, and will keep this review in mind when we make our next order.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Like I said the GI looks good and well made but I am not a 1911 shooter and the only thing I can compare against is some sigs I have had in the shop and a Ruger 1911, I did not like the Ruger very loose fitted gun compared to the sig or tissas Edited by Byedan

you should write that jerkoff Tony who does the BUDs videos and ask him why he is such a tool .Maybe you to need to make a Youtube vid and show 

us gunners just what they are pushing over there at BUDs

Turkey is the Made in China of the gun world it seems,I miss the discontinued Springer GIs but you should check out the

MillSpec,nice  1911 and it has a forged frame and slide 

PS: I have a minty SR1911 for sale in the classifieds section   :)

Edited by SonnyCrockett
My Citadel 9mm compact 1911 (also by Armscor) is rock solid. Hate that this one turned out so bad. Thanks for posting though. I would copy and paste this review to the Buds page.
Guest TankerHC
In all fairness to Buds this is a manufacturing QC issue. With the exception of the what is/what isn't a straw purchase problem I have never had a problem with them. To follow up I did send them exactly what is in the OP and more. I was contacted by customer service rep Tara within 24 hours with a phone number in a very pleasant email. I called and spoke with them and again it was a very pleasant conversation. She took down all of the issues that I told her I had with the gun and put me on hold for about 5 minutes. She came back and said there were several different options but she had to speak with her supervisor first to see how to handle it considering the gun came in a package with the shotgun. She asked me what I thought of the shotgun. The shotgun is what it is. It's a 90 dollar shotgun. Not anywhere near a 300 dollar shotgun. Not when you consider you can get an 870 for 300ish.

In all fairness I haven't fired the shotgun and it could be the best shotgun ever made. Highly doubt it but you all get the point.

I did accept the gun. I knew the finish sucked when I saw it. I did a functions check. It was passable. When I got it home and completely disassembled the gun is when the real problems showed themselves. I don't know what it was but something metal absolutely flew off the gun when I removed the slide and there are no parts missing. I'm beginning to believe there was a piece of raw metal jammed between the slide and frame.

I suppose I am now going to have to completely disassemble any gun I have delivered or buy before I accept it from here on out. No matter where it comes from.

Either way as of right now I am satisfied with Buds response. They do seem concerned that a gun like this was delivered.

Follow up coming after final disposition.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Could it be that where the recent buying frenzy may have caused reputable manufacturers to lower their quality standards little to none, for the less reputable manufacturers, it has become "Katy bar the door" and they're shovelling them out as fast as they can?
Guest TankerHC
Got q message back from Buds. Have been trying to get through on the extension that was sent through email. Haven't had any luck so far.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Guest TankerHC

Final follow up. 

Spoke to CSR Tara. Was given three options.

Refund on the 1911, keep the shotgun at normal price of $300

Return both for a full refund

Use Buds warranty and guarantee and have the gun repaired and sent back.

All three on their dime. I asked if they might just do the refund and give store credit. Too many problems in doing that, easier just to get the gun back and refund the cash.

Sending both back.

Tara and the other CSR, Melinda were both super nice and extremely helpful. 

Still does not change my opinion on the Tisas Stainless. Experience limited to one Stainless, one is enough for me. I was going to make a video, but didnt have to. Someone already did it for me, only mine looks worse than this one. Take a look at this finish and tell me this is a $600 gun. Add $25 for transfer and $10 for BC.

You can buy a Springfield GI for $50-$90 more and often find Lodaded Stainless Springfields used for the same price, I bought two of them at this price. . That being said I will not say I will NEVER buy another Tisas Stainless, but they have a long way to go before their guns are worth $549- $600.

Look at the finish on this gun, mines worse. No matter how many different backgrounds you put behind it to make it blend in, it doesnt matter, its still the finish (And other things). And note that comments are disabled, why? Let everyone tell how great a gun their Tisas 1911 is. There is one thing that really has me wondering though.......

Ask anyone here who I exchange emails with through my TankerHC email and ask what the name comes up. Jerry Gerry (I use a fake name since I use it for a lot of other stuff like Craigslist, Armslist, AND Buds and once I find the other person legit, they get my real name and Jerry is what my Grandfather brothers and sisters have called him since the 19 teens). So what are the odds, that someone named Jerry G, is retired military, started their career with 1911's and bought a Tisas 1911 Stainless the same week I did and did a review that is nearly identical to a review I did on another 1911 a few years ago? Weird.   Here's the review. I didnt do it. Second review below the ad for the gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411554046

And look at the finish on this gun. If this is anyone's standard, well Ill leave it at that. But Buds did come through and were very nice about it (The CSR's I spoke with)

http://youtu.be/z3xhRoxvQWo

And one last thing. Buds is doing everything they can to sell this gun. Give away a 90 dollar shotgun (Who does that), this above, engrave the grips and slide but dont raise the price (Who does that?). And most of the reviews I have read about start out like this "My first stainless 1911 and I love it". or words to that effect. Well, they love it because its their first stainless and they have nothing in their inventory to compare it to. My suggestion. If someone wants a Stainless, spend $50 - $100 more and buy a Springfield SS GI. If your happy with a Tisas, then you will be ecstatic with the Springfield. And with the number of various brands of 1911 Buds sells, Kimber, Armscor, etc. Can this Stainless REALLY be their best selling 1911? 

For me, lesson learned, never fall for the hype (Again)

Edited by TankerHC
  • 1 month later...
Guest TankerHC

Next to last follow up. Next to last because the last will be when I take it to the range to test it. 

Buds was 100% all the way. They offered a full refund, paid shipping or a partial refund, keep the shotgun at full price, and shipping. No exchange though, said its too much trouble to put the money back in the system and wait on another order, easier just to do a refund and buy again. Problem I had was for the next two weeks I spent nearly every day at the hospital, so I could still send it back, but I am not going to since it is my fault it has taken so long.

So I began polishing it. The first thing I learned polishing stainless is NEVER USE A DREMEL unless you know what you are doing. I quickly realized I was screwing up the finish, swirls and different tones. So I went to youtube and found what I was looking for.

I'm using Yankee Marshall's video's for reference. I'm also using the same materials. Mothers polishing compound, a soft cloth and for the burr's, 300 grit sandpaper and a stick a stick of wood. The polishing part by hand is not as easy as he makes it look. I have got most of the scratches out, pretty sure all of them will come out. I'm using the sandpaper, stick of wood and my fingers on everything but the barrel. I will polish the barrel with the dremel. On the burr's I know one flinch with the Dremel and Ill be regretting it, so until I get some practice on other metals, Ill just use sandpaper, stick and fingers. 

It still will not go back together for two reasons. The ambi thumb safety is cut wrong and the disconnector is screwed up. Im replacing the disconnector with an EB Perfection, the sear and spring with an EB Hardcore. all the pins are being replaced with an EB rebuild kit, the ambi safety is being replaced with an EB Tactical,the spring is being replaced by a Wilson. I plan on replacing the barrel with a Cone Comp TCII barrel and compensator (if not then a Storm Lake Performance barrel),  and adding a C-More Serendipity. Thegrips will be replaced with VZ's but I havent decided on which ones yet. (too many options to choose from)

All of those parts HAVE to be replaced because they are all junk. Before and after photo's when I am done and a test video. 

Shotgun is going to one of my BIL's for Christmas. 

What I don't get is how the factory put it all together in the first place.  Seems like a part or three would have been broken in the process, giving them a clue that it was lemon.  Regardless. this will not be a pistol I will but anytime soon.  Of course, I said the same thing about Springfield 1911s when my buddy couldn't get his on target without putting on a ridiculously high front sight.  Ten years later, I purchased a "Loaded" edition in SS from a friend that had to have another Springer in black SS and it's the best shooting 1911, I've ever possessed.

Guest TankerHC

What I don't get is how the factory put it all together in the first place.  Seems like a part or three would have been broken in the process, giving them a clue that it was lemon.  Regardless. this will not be a pistol I will but anytime soon.  Of course, I said the same thing about Springfield 1911s when my buddy couldn't get his on target without putting on a ridiculously high front sight.  Ten years later, I purchased a "Loaded" edition in SS from a friend that had to have another Springer in black SS and it's the best shooting 1911, I've ever possessed.

They did. 

• 4 months later...
Guest gearedandready

New to the forum hi everybody. I decided to post a reply to this topic as it comes up second in Google search results when you search tisas 1911.

A little about me I am a gunsmith, and a Type 07 FFL (manufacturer). I also retail the Tisas 1911's. Am I biased no, I picked this 1911 specifically because of how well it is made and its price point.

So first, I have never in all the Tisas I have sold both government models and A2 ever seen one with the problems that Tanker HC has listed. They are well made, CNC machined 1911's. I have my own and the work flawlessly. If you read the reviews (other than this one) it is nearly impossible to find a bad one.

So what bothers me?

You have literally hundreds of positive reviews on a firearm, and one guy, gets one that he says is bad. Instead of contacting buds first or Tisas for that matter, he rants, and raves on a forum, trashing the gun and the manufacturer, he offers no qualifications other that he is a collector. After months of web crawling Google puts this at the top of the search results for Tisas. So first result is Hickok45 saying its a great deal with video proof, and second is TankerHC here spouting off, ranting without so much as a picture of the 1911 he is ranting about. Look I am not saying he did not get a bad one, they make thousands of these and they are rigourously checked, but odds are, there will be a bad one. Murphy's Law states if you make 100,000 good ones and one bad one, some bonehead will get the bad one, post his rantings and ravings online and that will make it to the top of Google.

I would encourage anyone interested in purchaseing a Tisas 1911 to do more research than just the headline of this post.

Edited by gearedandready