WARNING! Tisas 1911 is a DO NOT BUY or... (Tanker's Revenge)

Guest TankerHC

I actually handled one today at Harvey’s, in Knoxville. It’s your typical GI Spec pistol. But the one I handled, had a great trigger! I talked to the guy behind the counter, and he said he got bored yesterday and decided to take it apart a see what the innards looked like on a $350 1911. He was impressed. Said it was very sound with just a few rough edges. He said he did a couple of things to smooth out that trigger, but didn’t polish or stone anything.  He said he was impressed. The trigger was pretty dang good, whatever he did too it.  

So now I’m trying to decide whether or not to trade my lay-a-way Taurus .44 Tracker in for one. 🤔

I ditched my last 1911 in favor of a more modern design (XDs .45acp, which I love), but now I want another 1911, like what I carried occasionally in the service and this fits the bill, spectacularly! It a nice quandary. 🙂

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

The new SDS 1911A1 made by Tisas is getting some strong reviews.  It’s a very faithful USGI copy imported by a Knoxville outfit so it’s got Knoxville, TN very tastefully stamped on the frame.  

They’re going for around $330-350 online.

• Like 1

$330.00 for an all steel .45 ACP pistol is outstanding in today's market. The Tisas Regent Hi-Power clone is every bit as impressive.  Tisas is going to give Armscor, (Rock Island Armory), a run for their money in the low cost 1911 market, that's for sure.

14 hours ago, Garufa said:

The new SDS 1911A1 made by Tisas is getting some strong reviews.  It’s a very faithful USGI copy imported by a Knoxville outfit so it’s got Knoxville, TN very tastefully stamped on the frame.  

They’re going for around $330-350 online.

they are functional (means they actually work) unlike that brands previous attempts at a 1911. I would like to see a tear down video,see what its made of as far as what type of steel ,what series trigger etc..It says MADE IN TURKEY on the side of the frame which is a downer . AO makes a nice GI also but its series 80 which is a deal killer

3 hours ago, SonnyCrockett said:

.......It says MADE IN TURKEY on the side of the frame which is a downer.......

Politics aside, Turkey makes some nice guns. I believe all of the Weatherby O/U's are Turkish made. As are many others. They have some of the finest manufacturing centers in the world. And they have some very talented people as well. Not everyone who builds guns in Turkey has oily skin and smells.

My only experience with a gun made in Turkey was a Stoeger Cougar .40 cal. I bought it new in 2012. It is the same as a Beretta Cougar. I needed to replace the guide rod and recoil spring after a while. There was no where you could get a replacement, Beretta sent me to Stoeger, Stoeger sent me to Numerich parts. (not sure about the spelling) as their official parts supplier. No parts in stock, after numerous inquiries, they said they were at the mercy of the supplier in Turkey and had no control about when parts were sent. It took 6 months for parts for my .40 cal. to come in. They had them for a 9mm cougar, none for a .40 cal Cougar. It just makes me a little cautious about Turkish made weapons.

I remember the Auto Ordnance back in the early 90’s. It was the cheapest 1911 on the market at the time. After about a hundred rounds, I started having pins back out and the rear sight fell off. Put the pins back and sold it for a loss to an armor buddy of mine. Then went and bought a Norinco.  I was much happier, right up until the time it was stolen. Great pistol! 

The SDS seems like a good pistol too, from the reviews I’ve watched and read. I’ve also talked to the counter guy at Harvey’s. He broke one down to see what a $350 1911 looked like on the inside and was impressed. He did a trigger job on one and let me try it out. It was very good. He just slicked up the original parts and put it back together again. 

13 hours ago, DMark said:

I am aware of those.. The whole point is to be a replica of a 1911 not a safety enhanced version of an A1 .

My only GI I own is a CZ1911,its all you could possibly ask for in a GI but it cost a grand because its all tool steel and hand fitted but for some reason CZ went with a larger set of sights

unnamed_zpsuhjvtezq.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The GI 1911 I have is a ATI GFX 45 MIL. I think they retail for about ~$400ish. I bought mine used (like about half my pistols). It shoots great and true. Better than my buddy’s Springfield 1911 Mil Spec. It is nothing fancy, but fun to shoot.

9177DD20-A601-4C0A-A4C4-EA31EBE729D8.thumb.jpeg.21ee0f033c2e168e24ab2763eaa7fa45.jpeg

I would love to shoot a nice Wilson Combat, or a Dan Wesson, or a Colt Goldcup National March, or some other well tuned 1911 to see what they are like. 

• 4 months later...

I hope you don't mind someone from Texas commenting on your Tennessee forum. I found this old thread while looking for reviews on the Tisas products.  Despite the angst expressed by the OP,  I went ahead and ordered a 1911 Duty model in 45 ACP from SDS Imports for $449.  Its my first 1911 and I'm hoping it works as good as it looks.  I just didn't want to spend $800 on what is really an impulse purchase.  I think there have been improvements to the lineup since SDS took over and the guns have received pretty good reviews over the last 2-3 years. Got my fingers crossed. BTW, this thread is still pretty high up on the web search results, it was number 5 on my google search.

spacer.png

Edited by Ernest T
  • Like 6
10 hours ago, Ernest T said:

I hope you don't mind someone from Texas commenting on your Tennessee forum. 

Hope you'll stick around!

9 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

This thread will never die. I’m totally here for that

Concur, though I enjoy reading about experiences others have had with sub $500 1911s

My first and only was a Metro Arms Commander, pre GIANT rollmarks.

@Dolomite_supafly was carrying a full size at the time, that helped me make my final decision on the brand.

Had a minor, low drama, good experience warranty repair, I think I may have started a thread.

It was a solid, reliable pistol.

I think the Tisas brand is good, over all. Tanker may have gotten a lemon at the time. I own a Tisas Fatih B380 (copy of the Beretta 85) and it’s first rate quality built. It’s starting to change my mind on the .380 round. I’m seriously considering an SDS 1911a1 now. It looks just like the .45 acp I carried in the Army, without the wear. And at $379 out the door, I think it’s a steal. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

I think the Tisas brand is good, over all. Tanker may have gotten a lemon at the time. I own a Tisas Fatih B380 (copy of the Beretta 85) and it’s first rate quality built. It’s starting to change my mind on the .380 round. I’m seriously considering an SDS 1911a1 now. It looks just like the .45 acp I carried in the Army, without the wear. And at $379 out the door, I think it’s a steal. 

Who has them for $379 OTD?  I think it would be cool to have a 1911 that says Knoxville on it, lol.

• Like 1