WARNING! Tisas 1911 is a DO NOT BUY or... (Tanker's Revenge)

Guest TankerHC

RIP Tanker
I was looking for a plain GI 1911, so I got the Zig M 1911, after watching a promo on Buds.
I'm glad I got it from Sevierville, because it had a mfg. defect. The hole in the back side of the frame for the Slide Stop was wollered-out. It shot well, but the slide stop seemed unrepairable.
If I'd used the free range pass, I would had found that problem.
Their are no posted service shops for a Tisas outside of Turkey. I'm glad Buds backed it up.

I have a thumbs-up for Buds, they asked me what I wanted to do, it took about 5 minutes to exchange it.

Both of the Zigs rattle when they're shaken, but they shoot a tight pattern.
I just got finished polishing mine up. I couldn't find a series 70, but after the polishing, it's about as smooth as one. I need to reblue it where I cut the edges off.
It looks good, shoots well, and I'll be glad to carry it.

Both of the Zigs rattle when they're shaken, but they shoot a tight pattern.
I just got finished polishing mine up. I couldn't find a series 70, but after the polishing, it's about as smooth as one. I need to reblue it where I cut the edges off.
It looks good, shoots well, and I'll be glad to carry it.

Thank you for an actual reply. I know this is an ancient thread but I had no idea it rankled some people so much. It was my first post here so I have a learning curve to travel before I know the personalities who post on this forum. I'll learn.  :pleased:

I have a series 70 (A1) and a series 80 (A2) Tisas. Neither rattle and both are tight and smooth. The A2 had a bit of creep in the trigger which required stoning the sear & hammer. It's now as nice as the A1. After shooting my A1, a friend purchased one of the "enhanced" A2 models and is also quite pleased with it. It had the same creep in the trigger as my A2 and it's been touched up to be crisp.

I've owned three RIA 1911's, a Colt Commander and a Thompson. Presently I own several 1927 Argentines, the two Tisas 1911's and a Military Spec Springfield. All are excellent shooters; accurate and reliable. I like my 1911's and my Tisas models suit me fine. My experience - so far - has been 100% positive and I don't see them as "cheap" but rather "inexpensive". Their quality is well above "cheap"... IMO, of course.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...

I have a Tisas Kanuni S 9mm that shoots great and is very accurate. Recently got a Tisas Zigana Sport 9mm. Most reviews are good, saw one with the same issue as me. The gun shoots and feeds well, but shoots 2-3" low at 9 yards. The current importer, Zenith, offered little help. The manufacturer, Trabzon, offered to send an adjustable rear sight for $40 shipping. I may have to bite the bullet and pay. As for now, I have only an expensive noise maker.

3 minutes ago, don line said:

I have a Tisas Kanuni S 9mm that shoots great and is very accurate. Recently got a Tisas Zigana Sport 9mm. Most reviews are good, saw one with the same issue as me. The gun shoots and feeds well, but shoots 2-3" low at 9 yards. The current importer, Zenith, offered little help. The manufacturer, Trabzon, offered to send an adjustable rear sight for $40 shipping. I may have to bite the bullet and pay. As for now, I have only an expensive noise maker.

Just aim high

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:56 PM, don line said:

2"-3" low at 9 yards will still get you a hit on a bad guy. I would hardly consider that a reason to not use or shoot it. You could also file the front sight to raise the impact point. As long as you go slow you it is easy.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Hi guys!  Chris here... owner of StevesPages since Steves unfortunate demise several years back.

I have guys write me all the time about what inexpensive 1911 to get (YEP... thread revival  LOL). 

Let me start by saying I own 1 Dan Wesson, 2 Colts, 1 Springfield and yes, a Tisas back from when IAC was the importer.  Had to really work hard not to blow soda out my nose at Tankers comments!  So when I got my Tisas just to see what a NIB $349 1911 was (and not expecting much) it had a couple of the negatives guys have mentioned.  Mostly the requirement of the strength of a gorilla to rack the slide past an upright hammer, and an 8# gritty trigger.  3/16ths pre-travel, but 8#!  Anyone here that's really into their 1911s know that all the trigger stuff is easy and short work to fix.  Stoned surfaces to 1600 with India stone.  Replaced 23# with 19# mainspring.  Trimmed 2/1000ths off the firing pin return spring.  The trigger is now 3.5# and smooth as a baby's butt.

This little Turk cheapo is now the finest shooting 1911 in my stable!  Yes, more reliable than my Dan Wesson!  Less finicky on ammo.

I eventually put a Wilson Combat sear spring and Hogue wraparound rubber grip.  Cut my own notches in the front of the factory trigger bow to make tabs for adjustment.  Now has zero takeup.

The Tisas is now the 1911 I shoot the most with the Springy being second.  From a rest, they are equally accurate as far as I can see to the target (which is decreasing yearly).

Had the Hogue already from a previous gun, spent $12.49 for the Wilson sear spring (shipped).  The mainspring was ~$10.  Bottom line, I had a blast tuning it up, have less than $400 into it and it's actually become my favorite shooter. 

OK, The Dan Wesson came from the factory with a 2.5# silky trigger.  It's a sweet sweet pistol.  But with minimal work and investment, the little Turk runs better!

So there!  Zombied!!!   ;)

As the owner of Steve's Pages what can I do to help to make sure that resource is always available?

I use it several times a week and it is an amazing resource, both for shooters and non shooters alike. The amount of information Steve put together on his website is staggering. And if you would like to add I have digital copies of owner's manuals and schematics for pretty much every firearm made in the last 100 years. I will gladly mail you a CD or thumbdrive for you to add to the website.

When Steve passed and the website went down I got sick at the thought of all that information being lost. I am so glad you resurrected it.

• Like 4