WARNING! Tisas 1911 is a DO NOT BUY or... (Tanker's Revenge)

Guest TankerHC

On 8/6/2017 at 3:43 PM, Dolomite_supafly said:

As the owner of Steve's Pages what can I do to help to make sure that resource is always available?

I use it several times a week and it is an amazing resource, both for shooters and non shooters alike. The amount of information Steve put together on his website is staggering. And if you would like to add I have digital copies of owner's manuals and schematics for pretty much every firearm made in the last 100 years. I will gladly mail you a CD or thumbdrive for you to add to the website.

When Steve passed and the website went down I got sick at the thought of all that information being lost. I am so glad you resurrected it.

When Steve passed, I didn't find out until 3 weeks later.  He suffered coronary failure and had been aware that it was coming for a couple years.  His registrar was in Sweden (domain reg had expired is why it was down) and they let me make a payment which got it back up.  His host (was and still is, though I'm moving it, APlus.net) Made me go through the fires of Hades to be able to assume control and management, which is good.   It should be that way with ANY ICAAN registrar.  Phone calls and letters back and forth between the Valley County Sheriffs office and I, certified documents from me, back and forth so that "if" a family member ever showed up and wanted the domain, I'd step aside.  It was actually the Sheriffs office how I found Steve had passed.  The domain had been down several times before after being hacked and having someone plant malicious code and it was easier for Steve just to take it down and upload a fresh, clean copy.  All freaking 25 GBs!  When the domain went down, I started calling Steve on the phone.  Figured he might be on travel or such.  After 2 weeks of leaving messages and not hearing back I got nervous and called the Sheriffs office.  They told me he had passed and so started the paper work to get ownership so I could ensure it didn't go down again.

I now have in place, arrangements so that if something were to happen to me, Steves would continue.  In the next week or two, there may be a day where the site will be unavailable when I change the registrar.  I already have all the files at the new host... it's just a matter of changing the name servers and a bit for that to propagate out.  Actually moving 10 domains but started with ones that aren't as important so I could get the feel of the control panel at the new host before horking something up with StevesPages.

Today, the site has grown to 35 GB with additions of manuals going into the "New Manuals" section which I set up as a browsable directory as keeping up with the menu system he built just took to much time. 

If you have manuals that I don't have, I would certainly welcome them and post for all to use!!!  Thanks for the offer!!!  CD or DVD would be cheaper than a thumb drive so that's what I'd do.  I'll pm you my address.

Chris

I had never seen the pages before and I think I must have spent an hour there last night. Shame S&W sent their lawyers calling. There are a few manuals I would like to have. 

This is much better than the eBay sellers that sell cds full of manuals taken from free sites for $25 or something. Thanks for keeping this rolling and taking on the mantel.

If you need to get a bunch manuals from point A to Point B, I find that Box.com's free account is a good way. It lets you have 10Gb and you can share files and folders. Plus, you can have one account for each email address you have if you want to separate stuff. I think the only other limit is that files must be less than 250mb for the free accounts. I find it easier that mailing stuff with today's internet speeds.

Good suggestion!  Thanks!  Hadn't heard of them before.  I do have a cloud acct that allows for specific access to selected directories (setup at the acct holders discretion) but haven't used it for such as a quick read when I started that acct looked like it was a pain in the patuty.

BTW I do still have all the S&W files... they've just been pulled from public view.  What S&W manuals are you looking for and I'll see if I have them.

1 minute ago, Yogurt said:

Good suggestion!  Thanks!  Hadn't heard of them before.  I do have a cloud acct that allows for specific access to selected directories (setup at the acct holders discretion) but haven't used it for such as a quick read when I started that acct looked like it was a pain in the patuty.

BTW I do still have all the S&W files... they've just been pulled from public view.  What S&W manuals are you looking for and I'll see if I have them.

I use box.com at work all the time. I have a bunch of people set up with free accounts to share stuff about their individual projects. None of our stuff is really secret, so it is not a big deal. I also use it to share specific folders with remote family members. 

I will Pm you. 

Just now, Ronald_55 said:

I use box.com at work all the time. I have a bunch of people set up with free accounts to share stuff about their individual projects. None of our stuff is really secret, so it is not a big deal. I also use it to share specific folders with remote family members. 

I will Pm you. 

OK

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

It's very reasonable to hope that this thread never dies. Not quite sure of the "bump" from earlier today, most of the time it is someone that goes to Google, finds this thread, joins TGO, and then posts on this thread as if it were created a week ago.

Bumping for the pure purpose of bumping? Seems a bit like schadenfreude to me.

6 minutes ago, CZ9MM said:

…. Bumping for the pure purpose of bumping? Seems a bit like schadenfreude to me.

Yup!

Schadenfreude is a compound of the German nouns Schaden, meaning "damage" or "harm," and Freude, meaning "joy," so it makes sense that schadenfreude means joy over some harm or misfortune suffered by another.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DMark said:

Yup!

Schadenfreude is a compound of the German nouns Schaden, meaning "damage" or "harm," and Freude, meaning "joy," so it makes sense that schadenfreude means joy over some harm or misfortune suffered by another.

Thank you. At least I learned something by clicking on this thread..:)

this time...🙄

• Haha 1

Here is a good example of Schadenfreude...…

23vdjpu.jpg

I expect that somewhere the ghost of TankerHC is making the same facial expressions as that guy in the middle knowing that this thread still lives.....  🙄  

Edited by DMark
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 5 weeks later...

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse today and handled a couple of RIA 1911s. I like them. They seem a good budget gun if you don't have the $ to drop on a Kimber or Colt. I've read many good things about them. My question is would you trust your life in one as an EDC?

6 minutes ago, lock n' load said:

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse today and handled a couple of RIA 1911s. I like them. They seem a good budget gun if you don't have the $ to drop on a Kimber or Colt. I've read many good things about them. My question is would you trust your life in one as an EDC?

Without hesitation.  RIA’s are excellent 1911’s.  Don’t let the low price fool you.  They only thing they lack that more expensive pistols have is a fancy finish.  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Garufa. I was contemplating on getting one. I can't decide between a full size or a compact model. SW doesn't have the RIA compact versions in. They only had the full ones. Impact Guns and Buds have some compact ones but I'd need to pay a FFL transfer fee to get one. Dunno if that would justify getting a smaller one or just go with a full size 

Edited by lock n' load

Just saw this thread for the first time.  I've had a Tisas Classic A-1 GI Black 1911 for about 5 years, bought new at Bud's.  Probably about 700 rounds through it, never a single jam or failure-to-do-anything.  Trigger, fit, finish, ---  everything about this gun is great. I put on Hogue 45010 Colt Govt Rubber Grips, black, diamond checkered.  They are terrific. 

I don't know what Tanker's weird game was all about, but I guess I really don't care. 

And yes, I would trust this firearm to defend lives.

2 hours ago, lock n' load said:

Thanks Garufa. I was contemplating on getting one. I can't decide between a full size or a compact model. SW doesn't have the RIA compact versions in. They only had the full ones. Impact Guns and Buds have some compact ones but I'd need to pay a FFL transfer fee to get one. Dunno if that would justify getting a smaller one or just go with a full size 

Personal choice on this. I own a 9 and a 45 RIA 1911 F/S. Sweet shooting and dependable.

I hope to acquire each in a compact version as well, but would actually just love it in 9. 

If I were to get back into 1911s again, RIA would be what I purchased.  Sometimes I miss my old ones, but then I pick up my SA XDs and remember why I stepped away from them.  But everyone that I know that owns a RIA, swears by them!

Funny how this thread gets resurrected from time to time. Are the Tisas 1911s still being imported here?

Edited by Moped
1 hour ago, Moped said:

If I were to get back into 1911s again, RIA would be what I purchased.  Sometimes I miss my old ones, but then I pick up my SA XDs and remember why I stepped away from them.  But everyone that I know that owns a RIA, swears by them!

Funny how this thread gets resurrected from time to time. Are the Tisas 1911s still being imported here?

U.S. distribution of Tisas 1911s is on hiatus.  It is believed that a new distributor is being lined up.

btw, I also own an RIA 1911, and you are correct, I do swear by it!

• Like 1
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Lol...so can someone give me the Synopsis on what happened here?

Tanker bought a Tisa. Didn't like it. Posted a bunch of stuff. Got banned later for some other stuff (unrelated). Now every time the date equals Pi x (the previous days stock market gains) divided by @TGO David's post count, someone comes and resurrects this thread.

If it were possible I would mark it on my calendar, but it is an unexpected event:)

I hope it never gets locked. I hope it lasts forever. 

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5