Shield 9mm $359

mcordell

• 2 weeks later...

I got caught up in the moment and ordered one. It arrived last week. When I compared it to my EDC, a Taurus 709 slim, I was struck by how similar the two guns are. Here's my initial take before shooting.

Size and shape: Almost identical

Weight: 709 is maybe 1-2 oz lighter. The balance is a bit different.

Packaging: The 709 came in a hard plastic clamshell with foam liner. The Shield came in a cheesy cardboard box. Really, S&W?

Grip: Both are a little narrow. Both are fine with a rubber tubing added (a section of mountain bike inner tube cut to fit).

Manual Safety: Both have them. The Taurus is a bit larger, which I prefer. Both are definitive and easy to disengage.

Looks: Slight edge to the Shield.

Sights: Edge to Shield. The white dots are bigger and easier to see.

Loaded chamber indicator: The Shield has a hole on top you can look into and see brass when a round is chambered. The 709 has a raised... lever, for lack of knowledge of the proper name... that you can see and feel on the top of the slide. I greatly prefer the 709 indicator because you can tell by touch if a round is in the chamber.

Cost:  I paid $399 for my 709 shortly after they came out (about $450 out the door), but they are available for $299 now.  The Shield was $359 plus shipping etc and came to $399.xx out the door. 

I think I'll check the internet for a side by side comparison. I don't plan on shooting until we get some nicer weather.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Moderators
I'm thinking real hard about a shield, it is definitely on the want list. As far as the manual safety, I'm just gonna yank it out altogether as I view it as an extraneous item and an extra point of possible failure. My carry guns don't have manual safeties.

I'm thinking real hard about a shield, it is definitely on the want list. As far as the manual safety, I'm just gonna yank it out altogether as I view it as an extraneous item and an extra point of possible failure. My carry guns don't have manual safeties.

I agree with you but it is so small it does not even get in my way.  I do not even know it is there. (the safety that is)

• Moderators
[quote name="NRA" post="1078962" timestamp="1387045838"]I agree with you but it is so small it does not even get in my way. I do not even know it is there. (the safety that is)[/quote] Oh I know. I have handled and shot them before. My thinking is that if I don't intend on using it, I don't want it there on the off chance it is accidentally engaged. I view it as a possible failure point, even if unlikely. If I practiced & trained to use the safety that be a different matter but since I don't, I don't want it to possibly trip me up when I don't have an extra second or two to figure out that my gun won't fire because an item I don't use got switched to the on position.

Well, I guess I will be trading off the second Shield I got sometime in the future.  I finally got my girlfriend to the range.  She preferred the G19 to the Shield, which actually surprised me.  I thought she would have wanted the Shield because of its size. 

Out of all the guns she shot, she liked the Wilson CQB the best.  What can I say?  She has good taste, but I ain't buying her a Wilson.  She will get the G19.  :)

• 2 weeks later...
Got to try it out yesterday evening... 50 rds of WWB, 50 rds of federal ball, and 25 rds of Critical Defense with zero issues. :)

As most have said, really soft shooting for a small 9mm. Pretty accurate for me, though an inch or two to the left. Wifey was on target and was quite happy with it, though a bit more practice is in order.