The "Get Home" Gun

Guest TNSovereignty

The wife and I work 6 miles away from the house. In the nastiest weather I've navigated from work to home it took me 2 hours because all the highways and back roads were at a standstill.
I know we couldn't walk 6 miles in 2 hours especially with the potential increase in foot traffic of others. We would potentially have to detour our normal route to avoid some main routes that would be taken, so I'd guess roughly 3 hours or more.
At first I thought, "AR should fit this nicely" but then got to thinking about the importance of maneuverability through wooded terrain and the "shorter" distance that we'd be covering. For us, I think our handguns should suffice. I'd just be slightly more concerned with having enough ammo/mags on hand. The 25 rounds that I carry with me daily may not be enough.
As long as we could manage to make it to the house we'd be good. Then the thought process shifts to defense of the house/supplies.
So, long and short of it, H&K USP Compact .40 and I just need some more mags to store in the trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to take a step back for a moment - and I mean this question in all seriousness because there appear to be possibilities that I am not considering - I have to ask:

What kind of situation are you folks envisioning that would - in the space of a single work day (8 hours or so) - result in:

A. Roadways - not just major ones but backroads and alternate routes, as well - becoming unpassable by vehicle and

B. law and order breaking down to the point that you need an 'anti-personnel' long gun to traverse a 20 mile or so distance to get home?

Being that this is a 'get home' plan, living in East Tennessee, working in Knoxville and living in a rural area on the Loudon County/Roane County line, I simply cannot wrap my mind around such a scenario.  Even in a serious natural disaster I would think it would take a few days for the marauders to get to marauding, form up groups and move outside the confines of inner city, urban areas and I wouldn't wait around for them to have the time to do so - my happy butt would either be at home or well on the way, by then.  I mean, if I lived in an urban environment on the outskirts of Nashville or Memphis and worked in the heart of downtown then maybe something along the lines of the 1992 Los Angeles/Rodney King verdict riots  would fit the bill - but still, an event that would result in outright chaos and the need to engage marauding bandits while walking home that would break out, escalate and go full-on pandemonium in the space of less than eight hours happening in Tennessee?  I just can't seem to get my mind around that.

Edited by JAB
As you stated, LA riots is one possibility. I live in Nashville and wonder what it might be like if I was caught somewhere and one of the dams failed or ruptured due to earthquake.

Any scenario that forces you to travel on foot where people might become angry or desperate might warrant some increased firepower. It won't likely be bands of roving marauders, but it might be that one armed thug/looter that you see coming.

Another unlikely but possible scenario could be a severe crackdown on our rights prompting martial law in an unjust fashion. The state/gov. could become your threat.

I say, if you can afford it, prepare now for the unlikely and hope you never need it.

Maybe your preparations end up being valuable for something you never expected.

Here in the USA, it is unlikely, but necessary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I would take my favorite new gun ps90 with a couple 50 round mags. Could keep it under a jacket very light weight easy to conceal. Would stay in the mountains and off the roads as much as possible. Should not have to spend more than one night in the woods maybe two. A light something to make a small fire and clothes to keep dry and warm would be most important. Lots of water in this area so that would not be a problem.

Jason

A few years ago a big snow came in hours, I live in Mt Juliet and was working in Donelson, bout 15 miles.

We looked out about 200PM and Lebanon road was grid lock in both directions for miles, 5 lane road.

The shop next to us closed and went home. We stayed and finished the day.

I got home in 1,5 hours.

The guys that left early, well it was after 8PM that night.

My point, it dont take much or long to get messed up.

For years I kept my su-16c with several loaded mags under the 3 row seat of my Volvo station wagon (soccer mom stealth)
I have a Keltec sub-9 now and am considering that as a more concealable option. They are great guns without an optic - anyone can pick up and shoot accurately.
For years I kept my su-16c with several loaded mags under the 3 row seat of my Volvo station wagon (soccer mom stealth)
I have a Keltec sub-9 now and am considering that as a more concealable option. They are great guns without an optic - anyone can pick up and shoot accurately. I feel a good option for my wife.
How about an EMP in the upper atmosphere? Not likely enough? How about the simple RUMOR that there is a nuke or some other bio or chem weapon in the heart of whichever city you're in circulated widely.

In Knoxville, it isn't too hard to snarl the major artories out of town on a GOOD day. Add some panic, a few car wrecks and traffic is standing still for a while. In larger cities, multiply that by 10.

Heck, throw in a snowstorm for good measure. If I was a terrorist, I wouldn't pick a nice sunny day to wreak havoc.

It won't be roving bands that are dangerous. Panicked cattle are just as dangerous and less predictable.

However, I encourage anyone who doesn't think it's possible to simply go about their lives complacently. Edited by Clod Stomper

Since we've moved away from the "get home gun" thing a little, something else to consider might be a paper map. I know my driving route is definitely not the shortest and may not be the smartest way home.

Water. And a portable way to filter more. Numero uno on foot, especially if you're trying to avoid people.

- OS

• Like 2
Guest Bonedaddy

Since we've moved away from the "get home gun" thing a little, something else to consider might be a paper map. I know my driving route is definitely not the shortest and may not be the smartest way home.

I really like having my topographic map book of TN for finding them out of the way places and alternate routes. I'm always lookin' for outta the way fishin' holes, so it's a great water finder, too.

Pre-think your route home.  You don't notice things you drive by every day.  Think about hills, bridges, etc...

If you've got more than a few miles, water will be a big deal.  Carrying enough for two or three days may be tough.  Consider a backpacking filter or even survival straw.

I keep coming back to a shotgun being more useful than a small caliber rifle in this scenario.  I'm more likely to run up on an ambush than having to pick off hostiles from any real distance.  I've got a Mossberg 500 in an ATI overfolder plastic stock that will rid completely hidden in a medium sized three-day pack.  Have another in 20 gauge, too.  Could carry a few more SD rounds in 20 ga anyway.   Add to that a reliable SA handgun in a real caliber and that will provide you with some options until you get back to your FOB/house.

I keep coming back to a shotgun being more useful than a small caliber rifle in this scenario.

The more I think about this scenario, a shotgun does make more sense (to me) than an AR-15. I have an 18" Remington 870 Express that I keep in a scabbard (molle-able to my go bag). For 20+ miles you'd just have to keep an assortment of different shells in your bag. For my 6 miles, through a populated area, I'd guess that I'd have to keep a large amount of shells in the bag, especially if we're talking about a total societal collapse.
Stealth would be the utmost priority in trying to get from A to B, after that I'd think firepower/defense and then food/water. In the short distance that I'd have to traverse, fire wouldn't be a necessity as I'd probably be moving at night to use the cover of darkness anyhow.
I'd probably recommend the same to everyone else. Just my thoughts. Each of us will have different priorities and circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't even have to be total societal collapse. Remember Katrina and the lines at the pump? I try to make sure I always have enough in the tank to get home but that doesn't always work out. And it would only take a few people driving until completely empty to completely snarl the roads up. Society isn't likely to collapse immediately so I'm just aiming to get home as smoothly and comfortably as possible should driving not be an option.

Though if things start looking shaky beforehand, I may throw a folding bicycle in the car. That would drastically cut travel time but would mean using the regular roads.

How is a person gonna protect his home if there isn't several people there he has to sleep sometime and they'll be few he can trust and as it gets worse he wont be able to trust near as many. After a week or so a man would be lucky to find any wildlife and if he does shoot a deer everybody around heard that gun shot and might want to take it from you.

One thing I haven't heard anyone say anything about if fishing gear and maybe a canoe or kayak  Were lucky here in TN everyone lives close to a body of water I think a man might survive a while on fish and nobody's gonna hear you catch a fish   Something else to think on

• Like 1

I really like having my topographic map book of TN for finding them out of the way places and alternate routes. I'm always lookin' for outta the way fishin' holes, so it's a great water finder, too.

I second this. I've used GPS systems ever since Clinton opened up the satellites (blue-tooth GPS receiver connected to Dell Axim "palm pilot"... remember those?). But one time I lost my receiver in North Carolina and still had a few hundred miles to drive with no paper map. A stop at a gas station fixed that, but ever since then I start every major trip by putting a Rand McNally Highway atlas and Delorme topo atlases for every state I'll be hitting into a carrying case between the seat and the console. It's saved me countless times. I now use a smart phone for primary navigation, but there are still millions of square miles without cellular data signals, batteries die, and charging cables break. But a paper map is always ready for use.

Delorme Atlas & Gazatteers are about $20 individually, or $15 if you buy in 5-state sets. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10097

Edited by JWKilgore

Here are some of my thoughts.  I think a shotgun makes a lot of sense.  I'm not looking to take out bad guys at a distance.  If there they are at a distance, then I plan on hiding.  If I get ambushed, I figure it's going to be a firefight up close and for that a shotgun seems to be the right tool. The thing about a shotgun is you are going to have to limit the amount of rounds you carry with it.  Probably no more than a reload or two.  For me that amounts to 16 rounds total.  All of it 00 buck. This is not for hunting, but for self-defense. I will also be carrying a pistol with a couple of reloads and a large fixed blade knife.

A paper map of the area makes more sense than a GPS, because I don't need batteries and it weights a lot less.  Those topographically map books are nice, but they probably only showing major roads and not every road in the county. I'm going across the county, not across the state and I can see the topography, because I'm on the ground.  You are better off to find a county/city road map.  They are getting harder and harder to find though.

In response to a lot of the LEO concerns (some of you sound as if you live in Serbia or something), if something that devastating happens I'm gonna be enroute to my family...not searching your trunk for long guns. I think many people often forget that a large portion of LEOs are like-minded and WANT guns in the hands of good citizens. I guess those who worry envision some Gestapo-like national police force or something. If that happens consider my resignation tendered.

A paper map of the area makes more sense than a GPS, because I don't need batteries and it weights a lot less.  Those topographically map books are nice, but they probably only showing major roads and not every road in the county. I'm going across the county, not across the state and I can see the topography, because I'm on the ground.  You are better off to find a county/city road map.  They are getting harder and harder to find though.

If you're in the middle or western part of the state that's probably true. For those who live in the mountains or in the foothills, a topo map can save you a lot of agony and unneccessary hard climbing because you can pick your route ahead of time based on what the terrain is like, or at the very least, have an idea of what you're up against. IMO, a topo map is definitely worth the extra couple ounces.

You probably don't want the full book either. Just a map of the local area along your route home. Planning may be key and GPSs tend to be less helpful at that than a paper map. Make sure you know how to read it and triangulate your position too.

Guest Bonedaddy

I second this. I've used GPS systems ever since Clinton opened up the satellites (blue-tooth GPS receiver connected to Dell Axim "palm pilot"... remember those?). But one time I lost my receiver in North Carolina and still had a few hundred miles to drive with no paper map. A stop at a gas station fixed that, but ever since then I start every major trip by putting a Rand McNally Highway atlas and Delorme topo atlases for every state I'll be hitting into a carrying case between the seat and the console. It's saved me countless times. I now use a smart phone for primary navigation, but there are still millions of square miles without cellular data signals, batteries die, and charging cables break. But a paper map is always ready for use.

Delorme Atlas & Gazatteers are about $20 individually, or $15 if you buy in 5-state sets. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10097

Delorme is what I keep in my truck and I have explored EVERY road in my county and most in the surrounding counties and it has shown them all. The only time it hasn't is a newly built farm field road and those just don't pop up everyday. It shows all the gravel roads, ditches, creeks, rivers, hills, mountains, whatever...... Would like to get me a newer one just to see if there is something new out there. You could also get on Google Earth and print off photos of your area to have a "real" view of where you are headed and any likely bad or good areas to travel through, as well as, have close ups of any area.

Edited by Bonedaddy

In response to a lot of the LEO concerns (some of you sound as if you live in Serbia or something), if something that devastating happens I'm gonna be enroute to my family...not searching your trunk for long guns. I think many people often forget that a large portion of LEOs are like-minded and WANT guns in the hands of good citizens. I guess those who worry envision some Gestapo-like national police force or something. If that happens consider my resignation tendered.

Thank you Sir.

This is my experience with the majority of peace officers I know, especially in my area.

A couple are "shooting buddies" and are quite knowledgeable and respectful of the Constitutionally protected Rights we all possess.After all, they are civilians as well, and many are prior military and believe in and hold the same Oath many of us have taken.

There are buttheads and duffuses in every profession..and good solid people as well. I judge a person by their actions, not the actions of another...It happens to my profession as well...

I've carried a "Truck" gun or "trunk" both here in TN, and back home in MS and LA for nearly 20 years and have never had an issue with it.

I use one of the tennis racket bags like I posted above, or something quite similar to store the long gun in my vehicle...just low profile.

Common sense...something not always common (LOL) goes a long ways. If I am having to hoof it home because things are so bad I can't drive, I'll go as low profile and off the beaten track as possible.

Like tnguy posted...there are a lot of varying potential situations that could happen. Adaptability is a must.

:2cents:

• Like 1