The "Get Home" Gun

Guest TNSovereignty

My choices would be either my AR or my Just Right Carbine. The JRC shares mags with my Glock. The AR does offer a little longer range.
My concern in the scenario given is my wife. We live in Spring Hill, I work in Cool Springs, and she works in Brentwood. She has srage 4 arthritus in her right hip and needs a hip replacement. In this sscenario she would never make it home.
Not sure what I would do.
I could make it home what then?
Guest TNSovereignty

Good stuff ... appreciate the ability to lean on everyone's ideas/talents.

Military training (27 yrs CG w/ a lot of joint/purple trng) taught me that improbable scenarios (e.g. SHTF) still require attention, even though day-to-day mini-crises tend to draw our attention (and funds) away from these possibilities.  Glad to know many of you are thinking along these lines.  

Despite the fact that my safe is crammed full of fun/useful toys, y'all are persuading me to shop for more.  Thanks!  :up:

Our scenario, at least for now, involves an unremarkable (but reliable) old sedan with a large trunk.  Most people expect to see an aging hippy wearing Birkenstocks driving this ... not a young guy ready to hike his way home, come hell or high water.  

I'm leaning toward ideas that address weapon & ammo weight, and ease of carry.  The bug-in backpack is as light as we can make it, but it's still not inconsiderable. 

Guest TNSovereignty

My choices would be either my AR or my Just Right Carbine. The JRC shares mags with my Glock. The AR does offer a little longer range.
My concern in the scenario given is my wife. We live in Spring Hill, I work in Cool Springs, and she works in Brentwood. She has srage 4 arthritus in her right hip and needs a hip replacement. In this sscenario she would never make it home.
Not sure what I would do.
I could make it home what then?

IMO opinion your scenario merits a separate conversation.  You don't want to "bug-in" to many parts of the areas you're living/working.  Depending on the scenario you want to plan for, have you considered a "bug-out" plan to more rural areas of mid-TN?  My plan involves just getting my son home to the farm where all of the weapons/food/tools are stored.  Your plan might need to involve what you can take out with you to get to another location. And how you could get to your wife so you could make your exit together, or she could get to a like-minded family member/friend that would help get her to a predesignated rendezvous point.  Yours is a scenario that requires a lot of thought/planning.  

Guest TNSovereignty

So I guess even if I get home I am still royally hosed.

Negative zgunbear ... you're not hosed if you're thinking these things through & developing a workable/doable plan.  If your scenario constrains you to Williamson County, there are definitely things you can do to make any situation more survivable.  And part of all of our SHTF planning should include cultivating a network of like-minded neighbors with whom we can collaborate & develop robust action plans & standard operating procedures.  

Glad to know you're prepped w/ your AR, Glock & JRC!

I'd be very hesitant about walking around with a long gun in the opening hours of a disaster, even a large scale one.  At the beginning there will probably still be some semblance of law and order, and I'd rather not draw that kind of attention to myself.  For me the most likely situation would be having to get from my office in an urban area to home in a rural one across 35 miles and a couple rivers or creeks.  Rather than the weight and attention of a long gun, better to have a concealable sidearm, water, CASH (sorry no one's going to be bartering copper rounds and fish hooks at this point), good shoes, and protection from the elements. 

Another issue that I think about, probably best for a new thread, is communication.  Are your kids in school?  Spouse working on the other side of town?  What if the phones are down?  How do you link up?  This is something to which I've given some thought but haven't really come up with a plan.

• Like 6
[quote name="zgunbear" post="1063093" timestamp="1384357297"] My choices would be either my AR or my Just Right Carbine. The JRC shares mags with my Glock. The AR does offer a little longer range. My concern in the scenario given is my wife. We live in Spring Hill, I work in Cool Springs, and she works in Brentwood. She has srage 4 arthritus in her right hip and needs a hip replacement. In this sscenario she would never make it home. Not sure what I would do. I could make it home what then?[/quote] I would think your plan needs to be two stage. First, you need to get to your wife with support for her condition. As a result, you should probably keep enough food/water for 3-4 days. I would also keep some bartering items, like maybe some gold or something sewn into the seams of your pack. Second is your plan to get out with her. You may need to barter for a ride out of town for you and your wife. You may also need to be willing to barter your home as a safe haven for somebody else and their family with the means to get you there but not a good plan for themselves. Maybe a spare firearm and some ammo that you can bear to part with. I don't know if this exists, but maybe a light weight, carbon fiber wheel chair that you can carry with you to your wife and then wheel her to a safer location while the two of you trek home. Also, don't forget medication and impromptu sheltering if it is needed. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD Edited by jcluff

I'd be very hesitant about walking around with a long gun in the opening hours of a disaster, even a large scale one. At the beginning there will probably still be some semblance of law and order, and I'd rather not draw that kind of attention to myself. For me the most likely situation would be having to get from my office in an urban area to home in a rural one across 35 miles and a couple rivers or creeks. Rather than the weight and attention of a long gun, better to have a concealable sidearm, water, CASH (sorry no one's going to be bartering copper rounds and fish hooks at this point), good shoes, and protection from the elements.

Another issue that I think about, probably best for a new thread, is communication. Are your kids in school? Spouse working on the other side of town? What if the phones are down? How do you link up? This is something to which I've given some thought but haven't really come up with a plan.

Well said, the "grey-man" approach seems a smarter way to travel, especially if travelling on foot & across unknown, potentially dangerous territory where there is no easy way to tell who is friend & who is foe.

Well said, the "grey-man" approach seems a smarter way to travel, especially if travelling on foot & across unknown, potentially dangerous territory where there is no easy way to tell who is friend & who is foe.

I'm also in agreeance that a long gun would draw attention, so something like an AR or pump shotgun that could be easily taken down and reassembled would be a good choice I don't know of much else that can be easily taken down with little or no tools.

I have 2 handgun/ long gun combos that fit this scenario.

.40- Glock 22 & Keltec Sub2000 with 15 rd mags and happy sticks

.38/ .357 Ruger GP100 4" DAO stainless & Marlin 1894C levergun

I do not currently carry these in my BOB or vehicle. My bag is getting fairly heavy already. I am carrying my HK USP .40 & Keltc P32 with extra mags for both along with the usually bug out gear. I have to switch vehicles often due to on-call schedule and driving service truck home so I have been trying to keep my items fairly low key and concise. I do not like leaving much in the vehicle I am not driving due to the vehicle not being very secure.

This thread is making me think more about carrying the Sub2000 & Glock in my bag. You may want to look into the Sub2000, I really like it and the fact that it folds makes it great for this setup. Not sure I want to deal with trying to carry around my AR for the issues I described above. I could however keep it locked in my office, my business is 6 miles away from home and I usually am thinking of how I would get home from the office during one of these scenarios. Makes you think.

I know it is now legal to carry long guns with empty chamber with your hcp. Anybody doing it? Has anyone been in an encounter with leo with a long gun in the vehicle? I am sure that many leo are not up to speed on this change to the law even though it went in effect a while ago. Edit: I may start a separate topic on this subject did not want to hijack this thread

Edited by McGarrett

That pre-65 quarter you've got?  It's just a fucking quarter to everybody else.  There will be no barter system in any short or even medium term disaster.  Unless you're on the other side of the country and things have truly gone ape, in any amount of time it takes to get home cash is going to be it.  And if the grid is still up they might even take credit cards.  And as for going out with a battle rifle and combat loadout to get home on day one, if a police sees you you're going to be detained (if not shot outright), your weapon will be confiscated, and instead of being safe at home you'll be spending SHTF in county. 

No like minded family members,her family, they prefer to keep their heads in the sand. No friends with land or a bug out location in Tn. My family is all out west in OK CO TX NV and MT. So I guess even if I get home I am still royally hosed.

Get with other like minded individuals and bring your skills to the table, there are always people looking to form a MAG. There's a meet and greet we do once or twice a year in Sevierville, last one included; myself, my ride along(who is Jeb from my story), Spots, BigBabySweets(he brought the whole clan out, haha), UncleJak(and his son), TimeStepper, and a few others whose names elude me.

Edited by whitewolf001

I agree with Mr. Firm!

In the short term, cash will be used.  I think after that food and water will begin to be of value at an increasing rate.  The shortage of THOSE will lead to an interest in firearms and ammo.   I do not think gold and such will have any short term value to most people --- it is too easy to get swindled with junk that is gold plated or glass gemmed or whatever.  And in the long term, people will have started to DIE OFF and things that are of no immediate use (money, gold, etc) will only be accepted by those who 1) have plenty and 2) think that the chaos will be restored to order in the not too distant future.  

Or, let me put it this way: if YOU have a safe full of guns and ammo and a shed full of food and water, and a bunch of survival stuff, medicine, etc .... if the country goes to hell in a handbasket, would you trade away your chance at survival for a lump of yellow metal that, at best, could be made into a bullet but pretty much is of zero use?  Or an antique quarter worth what, 20 bucks?  Or a bunch of paper money that won't even burn and is too small to wipe your butt with? 

I'd be very hesitant about walking around with a long gun in the opening hours of a disaster, even a large scale one.  At the beginning there will probably still be some semblance of law and order, and I'd rather not draw that kind of attention to myself.  For me the most likely situation would be having to get from my office in an urban area to home in a rural one across 35 miles and a couple rivers or creeks.  Rather than the weight and attention of a long gun, better to have a concealable sidearm, water, CASH (sorry no one's going to be bartering copper rounds and fish hooks at this point), good shoes, and protection from the elements. 

Another issue that I think about, probably best for a new thread, is communication.  Are your kids in school?  Spouse working on the other side of town?  What if the phones are down?  How do you link up?  This is something to which I've given some thought but haven't really come up with a plan.

Very important point here that lots of people fail to recognize...   Will you have to cross water?  What if it's cold water?  What if it's fast moving, cold water?    There's lots of rivers and lakes around here and bridges are obvious points of constriction (that's why trolls live under them).  Think you're gonna swim 200 yds across the Tennessee River with all that gear?  When it's 20 deg out? 

There was another thread not too long ago where several folks gave some really good suggestions in that regard... http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/69867-my-worst-case-scenario/

I think a lot of reading into what I was saying was done. I am not talking about a long term survival plan, nor am I speaking of a complete economic collapse. I am talking about day 1 to 4 of an shtf situation and getting to a partially disabled spouse and getting out, assuming your vehicle isn't working. Day one, a pile of cash may still work. Gold will likely work well to get assistance. A week in, when food concerns are now realized, the situation is very different.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Guest TNSovereignty

Good thoughts on cash vs silver/gold, consideration of creeks/terrain, etc.  We all need to be thinking along those lines; all dependent on where we each find ourselves - and family members - throughout the typical day.  No one-sized-fits-all solution, but the banter here helps each of us consider things to tailor our particular plan.  I know there have been other threads that address what to put in the bag, what knowledge to have in your head, and the fitness (mental & physical) to carry it all out.  This thread was meant to just key on the long-gun aspect, and there have been great ideas on that point.

Very thoughtful ideas on how LEOs - particularly feds - might react to seeing a guy hiking home w/ an AR slung on his chest.  I want my son to look like a young man that's on a determined hike, but not doing anything to threaten anyone.  He drives an unobtrusive car, leads an unremarkable life, because we think a great starting point of defense is to not draw attention - i.e. not look like a victim AND not to act like Rambo.  

Now you've got me looking for the Kel Tec 2000 - possibly in 9mm, as we have a Walther PPS that would be a lovely companion.  The hard part will be finding one.  In the short-term we may opt for the .357 Marlin levergun paired w/ a GP100.  Obviously these aren't battle rifles but should get one home without drawing too much attention.

I might get a rash of crap for this, but I do not consider the Glock or the AR to be dependable enough firearms for this.  If you guarantee that the distance is no more than 20 miles then they are fine, but if the distance could be more, or there is the possibility of being cut off totally I would feel a lot better with my GP100 in .357 magnum.  A Glock is a fine pistol, but the GP100 brings a durability that no semi auto can come close to.  I also know the modern AR is not as pisspoor as the M16A2 I carried in the Army was, but I would also include a 12 gauge with an array of ammo from birdshot to slugs in case he needs to go off in a different direction with little hope of returning home.

Just my opinion of course

Since this is supposed to be focused on long guns mine will be an AK sbr in 7.62x39.  Either my krink or draco sbr.  Either one conceals very easy in a backpack and can be deployed very quickly.  I don't mind the weight for the purposes of getting from work to home, etc.  Once home I would probably switch to something lighter if it was just me and the wife bugging out together.

20+ miles, Tennessee wilderness, no road travel, marauding looter protection. Hmmmm........

I imagine I'm not really going to care too much about what other people think about what I'm carrying. I'm guessing a 3-5 day trip, being cautious & avoiding scrutiny.

I'm 50/50 torn between my AR with the 16" upper, for light weight, light weight ammunition & speed of shooting and my 24" barrelled Rossi '92 in .45LC. 16 rounds of 300gn goodness in a lightish package that I'm real familiar with & can shoot nearly as quickly as a semi auto.....

I guess the 92 would be less desireable to passers by & a little less 'offensive looking' where the AR is a much lighter, quicker & just as deadly package.

Tough choice.

• Like 1

That is why I said AR pistol, to avoid being hammered if you are caught with it in the trunk.  A PISTOL in the trunk with a HCP should go a LONG way toward shutting down any excited LEOs, esp if you play nice when they start asking questions.   The carbines and rifles are NOT legal on a HCP and would be a little harder to dismiss.  Still legal to own, but you would want to transport those unloaded rather than ready to go, just in case.  In the trunk, unloaded, in a state like TN, if you keep your attitude positive and friendly you won't get burned for a rifle either....

If you need to tote your AR pistol, this

ARpistol.jpg

in this

ARpistolcase.jpg

is pretty much gray man.

Probably wouldn't want to tote it 60 miles though. Full sized handgun with extra ammo likely to suffice to "get home". If folks are shooting at folks on sight, I'd opine that stealth would increase your odds better than firepower.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I like Oh Shoot's idea.

I keep the below in my truck, along with my Glock, spare mags, and GHB.

20 miles is a good distance to cover, and do so low profile.

Spots made a great recommendation in a similar thread about having the gear in your GHB stored in thick plastic bags, i.e. contractor type bag. When you must cross water, and that's highly likely in TN, you can float your gear across.

There are some solid ideas and good discussion going here. :up:

AKfoldingstockTruckGun2.jpg

AKfoldingstockTruckGun1.jpg