The "Get Home" Gun

Guest TNSovereignty

Guest ThePunisher
My AR 11.5" pistol will be my SHTF weapon carried in a discreet bag along with my CZ pistol. One good type of discreet bag for an AR rifle and some other gear to get home is the baseball/softball gear bags that can carry an AR in the bat compartment, other gear in baggage compartment above. Some of these bags have backstraps and some even have rolling wheels also. I have a Under Armor navy baseball bag with backstraps that is very discreet as a backpack bag, and an Easton baseball bag that is red, black and white with rolling wheels. Both bags can carry rifles up to 36" long and carry extra gear such as clothing or survival gear. The AR pistol or AR rifle or even the bullpup rifles (Tavor, Steyr Aug 3, FN200) would be good weapons to get home as long as you don't bring too much attention to your carry. Edited by ThePunisher

I just happen to be building (slowly) my get-home gun kit.  Here's what I'm going with...

An AR pistol lower with two uppers.  One upper is a 10.5" .300 Blackout.  The other will eventually be a 10 or 11 inch 5.56.  Add to that a .22 lr conversion kit for the 5.56 upper.  The main purpose of the 5.56 upper will be to use the .22 kit for small game, but I can also use 5.56 ammo if necessary.  This kit, broken down, along with my daily carry pistol, is easy to keep concealed.  Even when travelling with it.

Other things you should always keep with you are water, a way to filter more water, warm clothes, a way to stay dry (poncho, tarp, whatever) and a way to get dry and warm (fire-starting equipment).  Equally important is a comfortable pair of shoes or boots.  I like lightweight hikers or trail runners.  

If 20 miles is all you have to cover, the shoes and water will be most important.  Of course, staying off of roadways will drastically slow your journey.  A 60 mile trip will probably require food and fire, especially in cold weather.

That is why I said AR pistol, to avoid being hammered if you are caught with it in the trunk.  A PISTOL in the trunk with a HCP should go a LONG way toward shutting down any excited LEOs, esp if you play nice when they start asking questions.   The carbines and rifles are NOT legal on a HCP and would be a little harder to dismiss.  Still legal to own, but you would want to transport those unloaded rather than ready to go, just in case.  In the trunk, unloaded, in a state like TN, if you keep your attitude positive and friendly you won't get burned for a rifle either.

Do take a look at all of kel-tec's long arms.  They have some interesting hardware, unlike most anything else on the market, they like to design stuff.

If you have a HCP you may transport a loaded long gun as long as there is no round in the chamber. Tenn. Code Ann. §39-17-1307 (e)(1)

In my opinion, anyone who regularly carries any form of firearm in TN should be a HCP. Unless you don't want your name in yet another government database.

A regular cab truck is easy... just keep a "truck gun" secured behind the seat. IMO it's harder to conceal/secure a weapon in an SUV because everything is exposed. My 4WD 4Runner would make an excellent "bug home" vehicle, but there are no good hiding places for a long gun.

A lever-carbine with a matching revolver in .357 mag is one choice, and few cops would give either a second glance. The most ultra reliable choice, but slow reloads.

Or the carry handgun of your choice along with an old pump shotgun. Heavy up-close damage, but bulky ammo and slow reloads. Most country folk in my home state have one of these behind the seat.

Another would be the already mentioned Keltec Sub-2000 (folds to 16" closed) sharing mags with a 9mm or .40 Glock, S&W, Sig, or Beretta. Much more firepower than the above two, but weaker long-range power.

A Keltec 16C in 5.56 can be folded to 25.5", can be fired as a pistol or rifle, takes standard AR mags, weighs 4.7lbs loaded (30 rds), and has a threaded barrel. This could be the most ideal "bug home" gun possible if you like Keltec products.

A carbine-length AR in 5.56 is kinda valuable to be leaving in a vehicle all the time, and would be "scary looking" to the wrong person, but it does have lots of accurate firepower in a lightweight package. A suppressed model in .300BLK has major stealth advantages, but is even MORE expensive and you'll have almost zero chance of finding spare ammo along the trek.

A cut-down SKS or AK platform would be less valuable than an AR with slightly more powerful ammo at a loss of long-range accuracy.

Edited by JWKilgore

I like Oh Shoot's idea.

I keep the below in my truck, along with my Glock, spare mags, and GHB.

20 miles is a good distance to cover, and do so low profile.

Spots made a great recommendation in a similar thread about having the gear in your GHB stored in thick plastic bags, i.e. contractor type bag. When you must cross water, and that's highly likely in TN, you can float your gear across.

There are some solid ideas and good discussion going here. :up:

AKfoldingstockTruckGun2.jpg

AKfoldingstockTruckGun1.jpg

I use an ILBE pack for the survival classes I'm pulling instructor duty on, and as my get home bag. I can throw my AR, chest rig, and clothes in one of my spare contractor bags, tie them to my ILBE and float across using that method. Works great to keep everything dry, and by stripping, you have dry clothes for the whole hike. If your not doing this, you need to look into it. Basically just stick an open contractor bag in your get home bag, then pack everything inside it. Tie off tightly, and instant floatation device.

• Like 1
Guest kylexander

I might get a rash of crap for this, but I do not consider the Glock or the AR to be dependable enough firearms for this.  If you guarantee that the distance is no more than 20 miles then they are fine, but if the distance could be more, or there is the possibility of being cut off totally I would feel a lot better with my GP100 in .357 magnum.  A Glock is a fine pistol, but the GP100 brings a durability that no semi auto can come close to.  I also know the modern AR is not as pisspoor as the M16A2 I carried in the Army was, but I would also include a 12 gauge with an array of ammo from birdshot to slugs in case he needs to go off in a different direction with little hope of returning home.

Just my opinion of course

In the long term, I am in complete agreement. If you are once covering 20 miles though, and maybe not even entirely on foot, I should think semis would be fine. If you are bugging out of your bug out location and need to travel light, I would definitely consider more durable and reliable weapons.

That thing about cash vs gold/silver is interesting. I think it would depend largely on the scenario, i.e. was this an attack, are we in economic collapse, etc. I think it would be ignorant not to pack some cash in your bug-out and especially your bug-in kit. Gold and silver seem to hold their value though as history has shown, while fiat currency is a bit more complicated.

What I carry every day.

A 25 ACP with 12 rounds(2 mags worth).

Glock 22 with 11 loaded 15 round mags and 1 30 round mag.

Dont carry food, if I can not beg or borrow I will steal it.

I have extra clothes, jacket and a knife.

I cover middle Tn in my day, never know where I will be,

could take days to get home. With all the water here I might have to

beg or borrow or steal a boat as well.

Maybe I'm just weird, but the tennis racket bag in the context of shtf just screams "gun!" to me. Why would someone walking a long way when things have gone sideways be carrying a tennis racket? In normal life, I think its a good stealth carrying mode.
Guest kylexander

Maybe I'm just weird, but the tennis racket bag in the context of shtf just screams "gun!" to me. Why would someone walking a long way when things have gone sideways be carrying a tennis racket? In normal life, I think its a good stealth carrying mode.

I was under the impression that the tennis racket bag was for concealment in a vehicle... it would look a bit strange if SHTF and someone was walking through the woods with a tennis bag.

I was under the impression that the tennis racket bag was for concealment in a vehicle... it would look a bit strange if SHTF and someone was walking through the woods with a tennis bag.

Yep, exactly. Just commenting on how to to be invisible with one in vehicle or on person in normal times. Notice I didn't recommend anything but a normal full sized handgun and extra ammo in the case of getting home on foot. Still think low profile stealth mode a better bet than humongous firepower.

Then again, I dunno, real tennis nuts during SHTF? Hey, none of the courts would be be reserved! And for golf nuts, walk onto any course free! ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Dont carry food, if I can not beg or borrow I will steal it.

Besides the obvious ethical issues, this could force you into contact with others in a dangerous situation. I would think one emergency pack of food, such as the MainStay bars would be simple and easy enough to keep in a bag and prevent you from needing to resort to desperate acts quite as quickly as it would otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ive been debating the AR pistol lately with this type of scenario in mind. i just hate having the buffer tube on it, which i know is necessary to that weapon platform, so i have also been thinking about an AK pistol  on a single point sling. thinking more PDW role with good power to 200 yards.

300BLK in a 9" pistol could be shot like a short carbine if needed with the buffer tube but the AK "krink" pistol would be more concealable. probably tuck either under a decent jacket if the grey man concept is more important, and it is to me.

that all said, there is also a part of me that wants a Rossi 92 in .357 magnum to pair with my S&W combat magnum...

ive been debating the AR pistol lately with this type of scenario in mind. i just hate having the buffer tube on it, which i know is necessary to that weapon platform, so i have also been thinking about an AK pistol  on a single point sling. thinking more PDW role with good power to 200 yards.

You've apparently never shot one. The buffer tube on the AR pistol is actually its saving grace. Lay that along cheek and it becomes very stable third point of contact, remarkable accuracy. Even the compromise of shoulder firing with the buffer (not my style) gives good results if you don't get a crick in neck and shoulder. :)

Pushing an AR or AK out on a sling for stability looks good on paper but sucks for accuracy in reality compared to using the buffer for that stability.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest ThePunisher

300BLK in a 9" pistol could be shot like a short carbine if needed with the buffer tube but the AK "krink" pistol would be more concealable. probably tuck either under a decent jacket if the grey man concept is more important, and it is to me.

that all said, there is also a part of me that wants a Rossi 92 in .357 magnum to pair with my S&W combat magnum...

Sig Sauer has the AR pistols with a hard rubber stabilizing brace that looks similarly to a regular stock. I have their M400 AR pistol 11.5" with the stabilizing brace. You can take this off and just use the buffer tube if you want. Actually this is like a short barrel rifle without the stamp.

Sig Sauer has the AR pistols with a hard rubber stabilizing brace that looks similarly to a regular stock. I have their M400 AR pistol 11.5" with the stabilizing brace. You can take this off and just use the buffer tube if you want. Actually this is like a short barrel rifle without the stamp.

For me, if I wanted to fire it from shoulder still with that short pull, I'd just add a cane/walker rubber tip rather than go with that kind of bulk. Not to mention the 130 clams. Hell, 70 more and you could just SBR it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest ThePunisher

For me, if I wanted to fire it from shoulder still with that short pull, I'd just add a cane/walker rubber tip rather than go with that kind of bulk. Not to mention the 130 clams. Hell, 70 more and you could just SBR it.

- OS

Your AR pistol looks real nice.
Well I bought this pistol since it was the first AR 15 pistol I had ever seen in a gun shop other than the Kel Tec pistols. I gave $1179.00 for it and I liked it having a 11.5 " barrel, and it has quad rails. I've put a Surefire flashlight on and a Lucid M7 red dot optic on it. The OAL is about 28" with the brace on it. A little expensive I suppose, but I'm not into building. Don't know what it would cost to build an AR pistol.

- OS

For me, it is more about the legalities. SBR is still a rifle and still falls under the laws of how a rifle is governed in TN. If you are in a situation where you have pulled out just such a weapon to provide protection will leaving an area, if caught by police with a concealed and loaded SBR you may fine yourself in jail. AR pistol, on the other hand, is a different story.

If you do not like the buffer tube, get a plr-16 or one of the other no tube platforms.  That is what I have.  And, I agree that the tube can make a poor man's stock but if the SHTF I will put my forend grip on mine illegally and I prefer it set up that way.  

If I had it to do again, the sig package looks like a nice setup.  The Kel tec has not missed a beat for me though, and it was cheap (about $400) and holds a good group at 200 yards (I have a scope on mine, but I may go to red dot, the scope is hard to use). 

Edited by Jonnin

I'm maybe mistaken, but I was working on the understanding that in the situation postulated, that law & order would be pretty much outta the window anyway, at this point......

Sent outta my ass by flying monkeys.

The scenario presented was a cataclysmic event. It is hard to determine if this means an immediate and complete breakdown of law and order. If I were putting together a bug home bag, I would want something that would be effective in a complete collapse of law and order event, but still viable and legal in only a partial or diminished law and order event. Especially if one is traveling some distance on foot where you may be leaving the worst of it but having to pass through barricaded or checkpoint protected areas.

Guest TNSovereignty

The scenario presented was a cataclysmic event. It is hard to determine if this means an immediate and complete breakdown of law and order. If I were putting together a bug home bag, I would want something that would be effective in a complete collapse of law and order event, but still viable and legal in only a partial or diminished law and order event. Especially if one is traveling some distance on foot where you may be leaving the worst of it but having to pass through barricaded or checkpoint protected areas.

Yes ... well stated.

We want to remain unobtrusive and as law-abiding as possible pre-SHTF.  Post-event, which may not be a complete breakdown in law/order, still unobtrusive but armed with as much firepower as possible for the lengthy hike through potentially difficult terrain & climate.  Everyone has their own ethic on what "law" truly means ... my ethic is to stay alive, obey the the highest law (Constitution), all while looking like a typical sheeple-dude walking home.  

You've apparently never shot one. The buffer tube on the AR pistol is actually its saving grace. Lay that along cheek and it becomes very stable third point of contact, remarkable accuracy. Even the compromise of shoulder firing with the buffer (not my style) gives good results if you don't get a crick in neck and shoulder. :)

Pushing an AR or AK out on a sling for stability looks good on paper but sucks for accuracy in reality compared to using the buffer for that stability.

- OS

this i understand. i was thinking more along the lines of if it had an ak-type recoil system, it could be shortened by the length of the buffer tube and could easily tuck under the arm in a PDW fashion. just seems like a waste of 6" or so as far as pure space is concerned - i do understand it can be a makeshift stock as well as it being a necessary part of the weapons operation.

think of something like a mp5 with a collapsing stock, an underfolder "krinkov" etc. noticably shorter overall

Besides the obvious ethical issues, this could force you into contact with others in a dangerous situation. I would think one emergency pack of food, such as the MainStay bars would be simple and easy enough to keep in a bag and prevent you from needing to resort to desperate acts quite as quickly as it would otherwise.

Absolutely. Someone may not appreciate their food being stolen. When the SHTF, people are going to go into protective mode quickly and sometimes, you just don't know who is really willing to protect what they have to the limit. This is a stupidly risky idea, especially just for a get-yourself-home scenario and despicable to boot. The human body can go for a long time without food and likely all you would ideally need was something to keep your energy up for the journey. Cereal bars, a can of chili, hard candy... anything really that can cope with long-term storage. Edited by tnguy
Guest Bonedaddy

Would like a SUB 2000 but I don't have one, right now. Only 'cause it's the same ammo as my carry gun. Wouldn't mind a CX4 Berreta, either but considering that mulitple shots with a .22 would down someone fairly easily and the ammo is light, I have an AR7 and a cheap Phoenix HP22 with a 3" and a spare 5" barrel and plenty of ammo in my get home pack, plus some extra ammo for my Ruger SR9c. I also have everything I'll need for a 3 day hike and sleepover in the woods to try and make it back in case conditions rendered my 4x4 Trailblazer useless. Probably got too much stuff in that pack but it'll do the trick, if needed. Didn't used to worry 'bout it till we got that 18" snow, a while back and traffic was shut down on I-40 for quite a ways near the house. Troopers were havin' to hike a mile out to people to bring them food and water during that. Blowin' peoples brains out was not my main concern. Gettin' home was. If I see a "real" SHTF situation comin' then I'll pack more fire power.

Guest ThePunisher
After even getting a short OAL Bullpup rifle for vehicle carry, I still realized if I had to wind up having to walk anywhere with the Bullpup rifle that I was still breaking the law even with HCP. So, the AR pistol became the best available and legal alternative to the "SHTF Get Home Gun". I would think that in the short term after some SHTF scenario, that law and order would still be in effect. But people will use their best judgement if ever the SHTF happens.