TN family and one hell of an escalation of a traffic stop

Up until the shots were fired the officers were 100% correct. People think they can just do what they want without consequences. I hope they charge the mother with aggravated child abuse and take her kids. The son should be charged but not to anything substantial. The officer that fired should be charged with aggravated assault.

• Like 7

All that for going 16 mph above the speed limit.  Sheesh. 

I would agree that the officers were in the right initially.  However, considering kids were in the vehicle, I think the line was crossed when they started busting windows.  If I was making the decisions, I pretty much agree with Dolomite.  I would probably require the primary officer to undergo further training, charge the mother (although I would not take her kids if she has a clean record), and charge the son.  The officer that was shooting?  Well...I would throw the book at him.  He has clearly proven he cannot use the proper judgement that is required to be a good officer.

• Like 5

Just proves that doing any thing wrong will get attention, speeding is not the worst, but up there.

2nd, when you do get pulled over you were doing something wrong, just do the right thing.

Be smart, not a smart ass.

This could have turned into a death of a child over bullheadedness.

Edited by RED333
  • Like 4
What on Earth makes an idiot think they can just drive away at a traffic stop, refuse to be arrested when pulled over a 2nd time, jump out and attack a police officer, or attempt to flee a 2nd time without bad things happening.

Most of all, what on Earth makes a trained LEO think it's okay to fire shots at a van full of people like that?
In defense of the Leo that shot, it looks like he came on scene right when the original officer was dealing with the kid trying to attack him.

I'm sure with the radio chatter and coming up on something like that, and possibly not knowing there werekids in there and we would have a different approach too.

This is a good example of how things can get out of hand in a very short period of time. The officers went a little above and beyond with what was required. TV 5 news this morning reported that the Police later found dope pipes in the van, buts that's no excuse for shooting at the van!

This whole situation was 100% preventable!

DaveS

This is a good example of how things can get out of hand in a very short period of time. The officers went a little above and beyond with what was required. TV 5 news this morning reported that the Police later found dope pipes in the van, buts that's no excuse for shooting at the van!

This whole situation was 100% preventable!

DaveS

Yep, don't speed, don't run away from police and don't fight the police. Those three things would have prevented it from ever happening.

• Like 1

Yep, don't speed, don't run away from police and don't fight the police. Those three things would have prevented it from ever happening.

Exactly. A little self control on part of the police would have helped a little too. I don't think this is going to end well for the officers involved. By no means am I anti LEO (actually just the opposite), but I'm still scratching my head on this one.

DaveS

Up until the shots were fired the officers actions were spot on. As a matter of fact there was a lot of restraint used. Had someone ran from me then refuse to get out I would have not argued or tried to "discuss" but tazed the driver to prevent their escape again. There would have been no discussing the situation. The officer is wrong in trying to talk to the mother because he should have already had her on the ground and in handcuffs. And if the boy came around that van on me I would have tazed him too as well as anyone else who tried to attack me. Breaking the windows out was needed to gain access to the driver who, as we see, tried to escape yet again.

In the end I hope the mother and the officer who fired at the van get some long term sentences. The boy should spend some time in juvenile for attacking the officer as well.

Problem is the bad officers we hear about every day makes people think they can refuse or resist any officer and that is not the case. And even if the officer that pulled her over was 100% wrong for doing so the driver cannot just refuse to comply or fight the officer. She has the courts for that. When civillians are allowed to physically resist officers when they think they are being wronged we will fall into anarchy shortly after.

What is going to happen here is the mother will have all her charges dropped because of one officer and this will serve to embolden her and others to try to fight officers. She will cry it was because she is black and everyone involved will get weak in the knees. She will get a multi million dollar settlement that the taxpayers will have to cover and all this because SHE, not the officers, decided it was ok to fight on the side of the road rather than in court. Funny thing is the offier that fired is black but that will will not be mentioned when the lady cries racism.

Doesn't matter if the vehicle just had the mom, or was loaded with nuns...  The vehicle didn't pose a threat of death or serious bodily injury to the officers as it was driving away from them, not towards them.

Would be nice to see the complete unedited footage, instead of the clips the news played.

I don't know about charging the 14 year old...  Your mom screams for help, and you come to her aid no questions asked...  at 14 that instinct is probably natural and not criminal.

The mom looks guilty without a doubt... I would like to see the raw video, but she does seem a few sheets shy of a book in the clips the news played.

And the officer who shot at a car driving off, needs to be in jail for felony stupid.

In defense of the Leo that shot, it looks like he came on scene right when the original officer was dealing with the kid trying to attack him.

I'm sure with the radio chatter and coming up on something like that, and possibly not knowing there werekids in there and we would have a different approach too.

• Like 4

When civillians are allowed to physically resist officers when they think they are being wronged we will fall into anarchy shortly after.

I think you mean citizens as the police are supposed to be civilian as well.  Militarized police forces are part of the problem today and will run roughshod over rights and liberty.  Any country that has a militarized police is rife with corruption and serious human rights abuses.  I've seen it first hand in Russia, where people are as afraid of the police as they are the criminals.

• Like 3

And the other shoe drops...  Which is why I like to see raw video footage not news coverage...

http://www.taosnews.com/news/article_401433ae-4d74-11e3-9e84-001a4bcf887a.html

It seems we don't have the entire story...  The mother was issued the ticket for speeding, and it was only after the officer insisted she PAY THE FINE IN CASH on the side of the road, or go before a local Judge did she drive away.  So she didn't drive away without signing the ticket, only without paying the fine on the spot.

Now, it seems the officers request is legal under NM state law...  but I can see how a TN single mom with kids in the car might think something is amiss and become scared enough to flee when you have an officer on the side of the road trying to shake you down for cash over a 16 mph speeding ticket.  I didn't know this little fact about NM law before today, if I was confronted with an officer demanding cash or he would arrest me, I too would be concerned I was dealing with a dirty cop and my life may very well be in danger.

I think this little fact shed a whole new light on her fleeing to a public location where she surrendered, and also in my mind clears the 14 year old...

Edited by JayC
  • Like 4

Interesting twist to the story.  A simple call to 911 or the local sheriff's office to verify whether the officer could legally require the driver to pay could've answered that question on the spot.

If she really thought something dirty was going down, she should've called 911 when she drove off.  I've told my wife lots of times to never stop on the side of the road in the boonies.  ALWAYS drive to a public spot before stopping.   Call 911 and tell the operator what you're doing. 

The 14 yr old should've stayed in the car.

Breaking the windows out was needed to gain access to the driver who, as we see, tried to escape yet again.

I can understand breaking windows to gain access to the driver. The best I could tell in the video was the "driver" is in the drivers seat in the front left of the vehicle. The angle of the video seems like the officer is busting out the right rear window of the van. Along way from the driver! He looks like he's doing out of anger! I guess we all don't know the whole story yet. The driver, her son and the cop will have plenty of bonding time in the county jail.

DaveS

I can understand breaking windows to gain access to the driver. The best I could tell in the video was the "driver" is in the drivers seat in the front left of the vehicle. The angle of the video seems like the officer is busting out the right rear window of the van. Along way from the driver! He looks like he's doing out of anger!

That was the door the son that attacked them was able to get back in and lock. Cop was focused on getting him at that point.

That was the door the son that attacked them was able to get back in and lock. Cop was focused on getting him at that point.

It looked like the kid jumped in the front passenger seat, but I couldn't tell for sure what window the cop busted. But anyways, it was opposite the drivers side. I don't agree that he was gaining access to the driver. Either way it's a bad deal!

DaveS