G-Shock watches

I'm not sure if you would consider a good watch part of a survival kit but I just think it would be a good idea to have a good solar powered watch. I am interested in the G-Shock line but want to get my feet wet on with them first a buy a good used one. I just purchased this model from ebay for $50 shipped and am hoping if you guys can tell me something about them and/or if I paid too much. From the little reading I did it has a good time module in it for the price. It seems from the older packaging that it may be an older model but looks to be in good shape. 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271308813380

• Moderators

I just purchased this one about 2 weeks ago and love it:

I paid roughly $85 for it brand new. I will say that it came fully charged. I got it to sync with the tower within minutes and it has not missed a sync a single night since I've got it. It shows "RCVD" in the lower right for each time it synced that morning. If I look at it at 12:01 AM then it does not show RCVD because it typcially syncs around 1:00 AM. I keep mine in "powersave" mode. That turns off the face with it does not see light for a while. If you push a button or bring it into the light, the face turns back on. It just saves a bit of juice but the alarm, sync, etc all continue to work. It's kinda like turning the monitor to your computer off. So far I love mine and it has been my favorite watch I have ever owned. The only thing that would disappoint me is if it does not live up to the hype of 10-20 year battery life or its durability.

I too bought it because I like the idea of long term use without service. However, they do use rechargeable batteries so eventually the battery will go bad. Some people might experience it in 5 years, others might get lucky and go 20+ years. The consensus on the watch forums is if you keep the battery near tipped off it will last longer. If you throw the watch in a drawer for since months and let it die down, that's supposed to be bad for the life of the battery.

I like it. However, for longer "serviceless" use, I think a quality mechanical watch would do well. But it would theoretically become less accurate without servicing. I think that's right. I use TGO more than I do the watch forums;)

As far as pricing, I'd say that's about right for a used one if it works and is cosmetically alright.

EDIT: Ha! Upon checking my Amazon, it was exactly two weeks ago that I purchased it.

EDIT: Exact same watch, "reverse" style:

EDIT: I almost bought this one because it looks awesome. But then I decided I was paying ~$40 extra just for looks.

Very satisfied with what I purchased.

Edited by CZ9MM

I've been wearing on of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-Mens-G-Shock-Atomic-Solar-Watch-GW300A-1V-Black-/161145235355?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item258501279b everyday for the past 9 years and love it. Don't have to worry about the battery dying at the worst possible time. Very rugged, I can't tell you the number of times I have slammed(not bumped or banged...SLAMMED) this thing against a hard surface and just takes the abuse. Most durable and reliable watch I have ever owned!

Dang! Solar watches?!?!?

I am a dinosaur. I had no clue of such a thing. :stunned: 

But I haven't worn a watch since 1988 when I got my first portable phone. You know, the brick in a bag type.

Yup. The Citizen Eco-Drive watches are also solar.  The face of the watch is a solar cell and it recharges the battery.  If that's not enough technology for you, there are watches that also automatically synch with the atomic clock so you never have to set them.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

OK. I am impressed. Not enough to buy one...but nicely impressed.

Still a neuvo-dinosaur though. Will continue to use my totally outdated phone to check the time. :stunned:  

I can appreciate that.  My favorite watch is a good old mechanical watch that I have to wind manually.  It has a see-through face so the mechanical components are visible.  The only high-tech feature is the pendulum in the watch that self-winds with body movement.

I can appreciate that.  My favorite watch is a good old mechanical watch that I have to wind manually.  It has a see-through face so the mechanical components are visible.  The only high-tech feature is the pendulum in the watch that self-winds with body movement.

Now that's the watch for me.  :woohoo:

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have worn G-shock for about 13 years.  I have only had 3 of them in that time.  The only reason I got new ones was because the band failed (and I found one that looked better).  I wore my first one in the Army and it fell with my gear 1500 feet on an airborne op.  I found it and wore it for another 3 years.

• Like 1

I have worn G-shock for about 13 years.  I have only had 3 of them in that time.  The only reason I got new ones was because the band failed (and I found one that looked better).  I wore my first one in the Army and it fell with my gear 1500 feet on an airborne op.  I found it and wore it for another 3 years.

Oops

Lowering line failure?

• Like 1

I like the Timex Expedition series of watches. I have a GShock, but the band is uncomfortable.

I picked up one of the G9300 Mudman at a decent price back in March. I hadn't worn a watch at that time for many many years and the band drove me NUTS on this watch. I kept wearing it and I think just broke it in eventually. Before the band was so stiff which is what caused me so much annoyance, now it's more pliable and comfortable to wear. May just need to give it some daily wear time  :)

I'd be interested in hearing how anyone cleans their GShocks though. This thing gets pretty nasty with daily wear.

• Moderators

I picked up one of the G9300 Mudman at a decent price back in March. I hadn't worn a watch at that time for many many years and the band drove me NUTS on this watch. I kept wearing it and I think just broke it in eventually. Before the band was so stiff which is what caused me so much annoyance, now it's more pliable and comfortable to wear. May just need to give it some daily wear time  :)

I'd be interested in hearing how anyone cleans their GShocks though. This thing gets pretty nasty with daily wear.

Well, I've heard that soap could theoretically slip-through the waterproof seal. What I've been doing is submerging the watch in a glass of cool water for a bit and then wiping it down with a paper towel. Theoretically hot water can cause condensation on the inside of the watch. I don't get mind as dirty as some, but I don't baby it either. It currently looks brand new!

I never even put any thought into this question. If I ever got mine dirty, I just rinsed off with water and wiped it off with a paper towel or cloth. Of course, I don't spend much time in the mud, muck, or dirt these days so it's not much of an issue for me.
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Just about everyday I check Amazon's "Lightning Deals". Those can be seen here everyday.

I noticed that, later today starting at 12:30 PM EST, the G-Shock that I purchased is going to be on there. I paid $81.72. It is currently at $86.78. CamelCamelCamel says that the lowest Amazon has sold it for is $63.22.

If the GW-6900 breaks below $63.22, it is a definite buy for anyone looking for a quality G-Shock with solar and atomic capabilities. I've had mine since November. Not once has it shown to be on the "medium" battery level; It has always shown "high". You all know how much sunny weather we have had since November, and to top it off I spend 8 hours in an office everyday with fluorescent lighting.

GW-6900

EDIT:

At 4:30 PM EST the AWGM100-1ACR also goes on sale as a lightening deal.

Edited by CZ9MM